Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Share your FIRE Milestones

When I bought the house I didn't have any equity. I only put 3.5% down. My home appreciation plus paying down my mortgage has helped me reach $250k. I do receive rental income and I plan on selling it when I FIRE so I include it in my NW.

Assets - Liabilities = NW. I had 40k cash, no investments, and 160k mortgage debt. -120k.

The house is an asset and its value should offset the mortgage if you put almost nothing down. So your NW was more like $40k.

NW= (cash + house value) - mortgage

People here are correct. I misjudged my net worth 5 years ago. My net worth today is $250k. How about a golf clap please...

Last edited:
First, I changed my direct deposit to go directly into our main investment account and set an automatic monthly transfer from our investment account to our checking account. Mentally, I am trying to shift from "living off my paycheck and saving the difference" to "We are living off my investment income first, supplemented by my paycheck for the difference."

Might be a good trick for me to combat OMY syndrome. I'll think about that.

Reached another $X,000,000 investable assets milestone last Friday. Especially pleased since we just Semi-FIREd 60 days ago, and our portfolio value (aided by a little part-time work) has continued to climb. :)

Also, and very importantly, golf HI has continued on a downward trend since Semi-FIRE.

Having a NW ^ trend and a HI v trend is what I call a "balanced" retirement. :2funny::2funny:

OMY - literally

Just started the new academic year here in the Ivory Tower. Plan is to call it quits next August 31.

Four 5's and a 4.
500k in 401k
500k in IRA
500k in Brokerage Account
500k in Cash
400k in Home Appraisal.

FIRE 5/5/2016

Reached another $X,000,000 investable assets milestone last Friday. Especially pleased since we just Semi-FIREd 60 days ago, and our portfolio value (aided by a little part-time work) has continued to climb. :)

Also, and very importantly, golf HI has continued on a downward trend since Semi-FIRE.

Having a NW ^ trend and a HI v trend is what I call a "balanced" retirement. :2funny::2funny:

To borrow from another thread, the HI is the "one number" that determines retirement happiness for some of us.

Portfolio just went over 4.2 mil yesterday. NW now at 6 mil.

I still remember that night 25 years ago when my wife and I had finally saved 5 k and could start investing for our future. I went to get advice from my SIL who at the time we thought was the one to look up to. She drove fancy cars, took lots of vacations.... anyways I was stunned when her reply to me and the wife was "$5,000 ? You realize that's not a lot of money." I went home and then started to educate myself on all matters of money management

25 years later- that SIL that I thought had it all together turned out to be the poster child of what not to do. She's declared bankruptcy once already, and wasted her money away on expensive furnishings, a giant house and swimming pool that she can't afford. She has not been able to afford the nice vacations anymore for over 15 years and She literally lives paycheck to paycheck and is one bad event from being on the streets.

I guess the advice she gave me 25 years ago actually was good advice because it forced me to educate myself.

Last edited:
Congratulations novaman. That's a good story - not so much for your SIL, but it's good in terms of the way it reveals how different types of people view money. Even though you have $4.2M in your portfolio now, I'll bet that you still don't think of $5K as an insignificant sum.

Reminds me of a few people along the way who have casually remarked to me that "a million isn't that much money nowadays." Needless to say, none of them have anywhere near a million to their name.

Going to a three day workweek. One day, Friday at home and Monday and Tuesday I am not working. This gives me a 4 day weekend and allows for the Semi retirement w/ benefits scenario.

I could go cold turkey and just ER but having this scenario is really a quality of like changer.

Going to a three day workweek. One day, Friday at home and Monday and Tuesday I am not working. This gives me a 4 day weekend and allows for the Semi retirement w/ benefits scenario.

I could go cold turkey and just ER but having this scenario is really a quality of like changer.

Your P/T arrangement sounds a little like some of the P/T deals I had in the 7 years after I stopped working F/T but before I decided that working P/T was still too much. I had various combinations of 3-day weekends, 4-day weekends, and working from home several days a week. I did like being able to continue receiving most of my benefits while working only P/T, the most important benefit watching the value of my company stock skyrocket in those 7 years. I also liked getting my personal life back.

I hope it works out for you longer than it did for me. :)

I split my milestones into every $250K for investments, and every $500K for NW. As of August 31st, we went over the latest NW milestone. Last NW milestone was hit sometime in mid-2012. :)

I split my milestones into every $250K for investments, and every $500K for NW. As of August 31st, we went over the latest NW milestone. Last NW milestone was hit sometime in mid-2012. :)

I split mine into whether my HI is double digits or single digits. Right now it's riding the cusp.

Clearly need more "FIRE" and less "Semi." :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I split mine into whether my HI is double digits or single digits. Right now it's riding the cusp.

Clearly need more "FIRE" and less "Semi." :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My HI spiked low with a few good rounds on vacation. Am now trying to keep it from creeping back up toward double digits.

Attachments

• HI history.jpg
    HI history.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 37
What is HI?
I was thinking health insurance... but that doesn't make sense...

Edited to add - is it something with the golf handicap:confused:
That's the only thing that made sense from the list I dug up.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/HI

Last edited:
What is HI?
I was thinking health insurance... but that doesn't make sense...

Edited to add - is it something with the golf handicap:confused:
That's the only thing that made sense from the list I dug up.

HI - What does HI stand for?

Yes, it stands for "Handicap Index", which some folks use interchangeably with "Handicap" but, it's not exactly the same. The link below has a good explanation.

Course Handicap vs. Handicap Index - Golfer's Guide

BTW, this means that JJQuantz would shoot in the low 80s on most courses, which is quite respectable. :D

I'm fast approaching my last day of regular work, and I'm down to 7 actual workdays left, Yippee!!!!. The temporary part time gig will declare itself next Monday. I'm actually looking forward to it as it will get me out of the house and I get to work alongside one of my dearest friends and two of my favorite partners the whole week.

I probably shouldn't jinx it by saying this, but today could be the day I become a Millionaire! As of Friday's market close, my investable assets came in at about $997,860. :dance:

The market's doing great so far today, so let's hope I didn't just put a curse on it...

Hi again Andre, I mentioned previously how we're in a similar situation (age and investment assets). I noticed that you're in the class of 2014. So have you retired? Is it still happening this year?

Just curious what the rest of your financial picture looks like. Things like if you have a pension, mortgage, kids, what your expected spending will be etc. I ask because I still consider myself many years from being able to retire comfortably , even with a paid off home and close to $1 million in investment assets.

Looks like I am hedging a bit too heavily against the dollar and the recent strength in the USD is slowing down my progress. But I still managed to reach a new high in both dollars and euros this month (I track my NW in both currencies since I am a EU citizen residing in the US) and my ER portfolio passed a nice round milestone in euros.

Met what I judged to be the minimum to retire early. But won't retire for another 5 years (well voluntarily anyway). So everything else that is saved into the retirement accounts is gravy.

Looks like I am hedging a bit too heavily against the dollar and the recent strength in the USD is slowing down my progress. But I still managed to reach a new high in both dollars and euros this month (I track my NW in both currencies since I am a EU citizen residing in the US) and my ER portfolio passed a nice round milestone in euros.

CongratEUlations!

Does that mean the price of French cheese and Italian wine will be coming down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom