Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fantastic, congrats! We are currently at $2.1M not including a debt free house (~$700k). I plan to retire Dec 2019 as well at age 59, and DW will work a few years longer (unlike me, she loves her job).

Thanks! DH will probably continue to work past 50 since he enjoys his job (most days anyway). Since we’re now debt free, previous mortgage payments are now being used to top up the nest egg.

Milestones for DW and me (50 & 48) as of this month

$2.7M Investable Assets
$3.5M Net Worth (includes house)

If I only had a solid plan for Health Insurance, we'd be pulling the plug...:facepalm:

Milestones for DW and me (50 & 48) as of this month

$2.7M Investable Assets
$3.5M Net Worth (includes house)

If I only had a solid plan for Health Insurance, we'd be pulling the plug...:facepalm:

How much in taxable and can you manage taxable income for ACA tax subsidies?

How much in taxable and can you manage taxable income for ACA tax subsidies?

The 2.7 is about 50/50 split taxable and tax deferred.

The bigger issue is that we have 2, early twenties, adult kids that are still on our insurance and one of them is on an expensive medication that may or may not be covered on ACA. I'm not even sure how to figure that out.

So for now its employer group health and maybe move to COBRA if we decide to pull the cord, but COBRA only gets us 18 months.

Last edited:
The 2.7 is about 50/50 split taxable and tax deferred.

The bigger issue is that we have 20 something adult kids that are still on our insurance and one of them is on an expensive medication that may or may not be covered on ACA. I'm not even sure how to figure that out.

So for now its employer group health and maybe move to COBRA if we decide to pull the cord, but COBRA only gets us 18 months.

20 kids on insurance?
But anyway, I had a full coverage type PPO in my last year of w*rk and found the full PPO type coverage (Florida Blue) to be just as inclusive within the ACA.
The major difference I have found with the ACA plans coverage is that the dental plan coverage is not nearly as good.

20 kids on insurance?
But anyway, I had a full coverage type PPO in my last year of w*rk and found the full PPO type coverage (Florida Blue) to be just as inclusive within the ACA.
The major difference I have found with the ACA plans coverage is that the dental plan coverage is not nearly as good.

Thanks for the info. I fixed my prior comment about the kids. We have 2 kids that are in their early twenties that we plan to cover on insurance until 26 or when/if they change the ACA language.

3.0M

Just updated balances for the month to discover that DW and I are multimillionaires by a whole $1,600 over the 2.0M mark (all in, including home equity). . . .

I wrote post number 313 on this thread back on December 29, 2013 to memorialize us hitting 1.5M. We were both 36 then, and we're 39 (DW is 38) now. The intervening years have been a grind at work, frankly I'd prefer to have those three years back.

To everyone out there with their eye on the FIRE prize, no matter where you are in the process keep up the good work!

I wrote the post above on July 24, 2016. Today, a little over two and a half years (and a new job and a bunch of craziness) later, we're at 3.0M for the first time.

Thank you Jack Bogle, and may you rest in peace.

Good luck to everyone else out there grinding to the prize.

I wrote the post above on July 24, 2016. Today, a little over two and a half years (and a new job and a bunch of craziness) later, we're at 3.0M for the first time.

Thank you Jack Bogle, and may you rest in peace.

Good luck to everyone else out there grinding to the prize.

Congrats. Sounds there will be a FIRE situation for you down the road.

I realized this last week that in the last couple of months, DW and I are now over 1M in net-worth. Also with that I realized I have too much in pre-tax investments and have started investing in some after tax mutual funds and investments. About 3 more years on our plan to sock away some more money before FIRE.

No debts except the house payment which we are (about 70% equity there), no kids in college. A few more house improvements we want to do but in a great position to save and invest some significant cash in our run for the finish line.

Well I hit two moderate milestones on the same day:

-I have finally crested the 100K mark in my TFSA account ("Roth IRA" in the US). Considering the limit before gains is $63,500 and there are not that many people in the 100K TFSA club, I feel pretty good about those gains in the ~8 years I've been investing. And just something nice about seeing it reach six figures finally. :cool:

-Overall net worth also crested 700K for the first time. :)

Just reclaimed $4.5M NW status after the dip in 4Q2018! Also, set maximum target date to retire in 2025.

Just reclaimed $4.5M NW status after the dip in 4Q2018! Also, set maximum target date to retire in 2025.

Now you're making me second guess myself. Sitting at 2m NW and put in my resignation letter for 7 June. Hope my numbers don't lie!:confused:

Now you're making me second guess myself. Sitting at 2m NW and put in my resignation letter for 7 June. Hope my numbers don't lie!:confused:
Everyone has different target. Depends on your expense. I need lots of cushion plus 3 kids going to college soon so my drive to continue. :)

Everyone has different target. Depends on your expense. I need lots of cushion plus 3 kids going to college soon so my drive to continue. :)

Yeah my situation is different. Both DSs out of the house with degrees. One doing better than than the other. Empty nesters here. We have very low cost hobbies (doesn't cost much to dig up dirt and plant stuff(and surf here)):)

Inching closer towards end of the year NW goal of $3 million. NW is at an all-time high of $2.87 mill.

I normally only update the portfolio value at month-end (last Friday), but I ran the numbers after the market run-up today and we hit $4M in NW for the first time! We usually focus on investable assets instead of NW, but this was a fun mark to observe. Now back to thinking about FIRE as we peruse FL real estate listings tonight.

Omalley

^ wow! Congratulations to all of you.

Wowzers. Congrats all!
The 2 comma club is pretty cool. Can’t wait to be a member one day [emoji41]

Finally saw my 401k hit the 7 digits again for one day so far and took a screen shot this time.

I hear you. Our total investments/cash hit 7 digits yesterday. Even if it only lasted for a short time it was nice to see lol....DW and I are not considered young by most on this site; however, we have a good monthly guaranteed income of over 9k until I can take my SS and then the fun begins. Looking at walking away early next year.

I hear you. Our total investments/cash hit 7 digits yesterday. Even if it only lasted for a short time it was nice to see lol....DW and I are not considered young by most on this site; however, we have a good monthly guaranteed income of over 9k until I can take my SS and then the fun begins. Looking at walking away early next year.

That’s great!

How’d it get from $5,500/mo to $9,000/mo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom