Shark Attacks and Swimming Pigs

1983....walking along the beach in Durban.....fishermen cutting open a large shark on the sand.....full of 'sharkettes'.

From one of their recent performances. "The Sharkettes" chorus line.

A-Chorus-Line-scaled.jpg

I love swimming in the ocean, although I don't do it as often anymore. The only things I worry about in the water are jellyfish and boats. I had a couple of nasty stings when I was younger, but I've luckily never seen a Man of War.

I have had a couple of fairly close calls with boats and jet skis. I sympathize greatly with the manatees.

I have to admit that seeing Jaws back when it came out made me a bit nervous for a couple of years. But I got over it. I don't watch Shark Week, although not for that reason.

I remember seeing Jaws and my parents kept saying "that's not true, that will never happen. Sharks are afraid of people." I remember specifically them denying that movie could ever be true. But Santa, yes he's real so is the Easter Bunny. WTH, parents are full of it. Actually, I was in high school when it came out but I never believed it could be true.

Last edited:
The only things I worry about in the water are jellyfish and boats. I had a couple of nasty stings when I was younger, but I've luckily never seen a Man of War.

I remember a guy I worked with in Northern Australia recalling the time, in his younger days, when a bunch of them were jumping in the sea from a pier. One guy came out screaming.....they thought he was acting the clown, so they threw him back in.......Sea Wasp.

Deadliest Creature | Sea Wasp, Marine Stinger, Box Jelly

I remember a guy I worked with in Northern Australia recalling the time, in his younger days, when a bunch of them were jumping in the sea from a pier. One guy came out screaming.....they thought he was acting the clown, so they threw him back in.......Sea Wasp.

Deadliest Creature | Sea Wasp, Marine Stinger, Box Jelly

Wow, did the guy they threw back die? Before I got married I took a trip with friends to the Cayman Islands. This was when the islands were remote, I think there was one big resort and many banks:blush:. We rented a small room from a private home. We snorkeled almost everyday. One day we were attacked by jelly fish. The barracuda's were not that scary, they just minded their own business. The jelly fish stung all of us. We were wiggling around in the water, stinging, we could barely see them. That was a once in lifetime adventure. We didn't know anything and lived by the seat of our pants.

Wow, did the guy they threw back die?

Not sure if the guy (they were all kids then) knew what ultimately happened...but, as is said, if you don't die from a Sea Wasp sting you'll likely wish you had. Nasty things.

I remember seeing Jaws and my parents kept saying "that's not true, that will never happen. Sharks are afraid of people." I remember specifically them denying that movie could ever be true. But Santa, yes he's real so is the Easter Bunny. WTH, parents are full of it. Actually, I was in high school when it came out but I never believed it could be true.

I was living in New Jersey at the time and found out the book was based off a New Jersey shark attack event.
Thus was extra scared, but just for one summer.

Not sure if the guy (they were all kids then) knew what ultimately happened...but, as is said, if you don't die from a Sea Wasp sting you'll likely wish you had. Nasty things.

I think deep inside, my ex was related to this species! :LOL:

I think deep inside, my ex was related to this species! :LOL:

As they said re Jaws 2......“Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...”. :)

I've been a scuba diver since 1994. I've spent more than 4,003 hours underwater. I've been diving with most of the world's famous sharks, except the great white (bull, tiger, great hammerhead, Carribean, white tip, black tip, nurse, leopard, sand bar, etc.). My most exciting and probably dangerous scuba diving was with tiger sharks and great hammerheads off the Bahamas. No cage, and bait in the water. While most smaller sharks won't attack humans unless cornered, the 'big sharks' including great whites, great hammerheads, and especially, bull sharks, will, given the opportunity. Even when diving in clear water, if you don't keep looking at them, they will come up from behind. That said, they are not mindless killers. They don't like the taste of humans. If you swim in the ocean, and follow simple rules (swim near others, avoid dawn and dusk, avoid swimming in really turbid waters), the liklihood of a shark attack is exceedingly rare.

In Hawaii, most of our shark attacks occur after rains when rivers or streams bring muddy waters to the ocean, or for long-distance swimmers training in deeper waters alone offshore. I've only been afraid in HI once, when swimming on the surface in really deep water (1,000+ feet deep) between Molokini Crater and Maui. A tiger was headed straight towards me, until I popped my head below the water line, and looked at him. He turned and left! I did, too!

I love swimming with sharks...some day, I hope to dive with the great white!

Last edited:
Humans everywhere are the absolute WORST PREDATORS in the world!!! I don't feel compassion for animals' "victims". I'm sure 99.9% of animals take the food they encounter ONLY when hungry while 99.9% of humans murder for sport and other idiotic games, besides eating, wearing and using them in horrific experiments and tests.

I take my hat to RobbieB for his fairest thoughts on the matter.

When hunters, fishers, and other selfish entities GO INTO ANIMALS' OWN TERRITORIES to catch them for whatever selfish act, humans applaud.
When animals STAY IN THEIR OWN TERRITORIES and eat what they find or feel they have to defend themselves or their territories, IN THEIR OWN territories, people talk of hating them. I even read of cases where they went into certain animals' territories to shoot them because one of them might've attacked and killed someone they loved, WITHIN THE ANIMALS' OWN TERRITORIES.

Where's justice:confused: Where's God:confused:

Last edited:
Humans everywhere are the absolute WORST PREDATORS in the world!!! I don't feel compassion for animals' "victims". I'm sure 99.9% of animals take the food they encounter ONLY when hungry while 99.9% of humans murder for sport and other idiotic games, besides eating, wearing and using them in horrific experiments and tests.

When hunters, fishers, and other selfish entities GO INTO ANIMALS' OWN TERRITORIES to catch them for whatever selfish act, humans applaud.
When animals STAY IN THEIR OWN TERRITORIES and eat what they find or feel they have to defend themselves or their territories, IN THEIR OWN territories, people talk of hating them. I even read of cases where they went into certain animals' territories to shoot them because one of them might've attacked and killed someone they loved, WITHIN THE ANIMALS' OWN TERRITORIES.

In many ways humans are also the stupidest, as I'm sure we will kill ourselves off in various ways.

Whenever I've fished, I've eaten what I caught.

I really don't like this catch and release concept that caught on, it's often torture and release, and sometimes they die later, and a person can stay out all day doing since no limit is hit. It's a waste of the fish's life.

I'm sure someday, some brilliant fellow will think up the same for hunters, and shoot and release will become common ;)

For sure! Yellowstone is a perfect example. Farmers, hunters killed off all the wolves. The landscape and natural order of things suffered. Deer took over the park destroying trees, plants, eroding waterways. They re-introduced wolves from Canada and the natural order is restored. I think there are 5 healthy packs in Yellowstone now.

Humans screw up so many things in the natural world. Every single living thing has a role in keeping the earth in balance, down to the earthworm, even fungus. Fungus turns fallen trees back to nutrient rich soil. Illinois has .01% of its original prairies. Butterflies, bees, spiders, so many species destroyed for corn and beans. If farmers respectfully planted alternative rows of corn, beans and left prairie our soil would be healthy. It’s being damaged every year by fertilizer and pesticides.

For sure! Yellowstone is a perfect example. Farmers, hunters killed off all the wolves. The landscape and natural order of things suffered. Deer took over the park destroying trees, plants, eroding waterways. They re-introduced wolves from Canada and the natural order is restored. I think there are 5 healthy packs in Yellowstone now.

Humans screw up so many things in the natural world. Every single living thing has a role in keeping the earth in balance, down to the earthworm, even fungus. Fungus turns fallen trees back to nutrient rich soil. Illinois has .01% of its original prairies. Butterflies, bees, spiders, so many species destroyed for corn and beans. If farmers respectfully planted alternative rows of corn, beans and left prairie our soil would be healthy. It’s being damaged every year by fertilizer and pesticides.

You're so right Rianne! Animals are the ACTUAL OWNERS OF THEIR TERRITORIES whether on sea, land, or air. Humans just take a ride for free! You don't see any animals destroying their surroundings that give them sustenance as dumb humans do. It's not the fault of the deer in eating the vegetation to which they have an inalienable right for their self preservation. Once they finish some trees....new and more succulent shoots will grow and so the cycle goes on. Much better than causing deliberate forest fires or indiscriminately bring predator animals to the darling deer in order to get new trees, no? :)

Now I know why those irritating helicopters flew over the Florida beaches...over and over. I guess they weren't joy riding.

Back
Top Bottom