Shoebotage?

One of the NFL team's just told there QB to stop playing any pickup basketball. The pressure to WIN is real and competitive.

These guys destroy there bodies for pay, it's part of being "competitive" . Lindsey Vonn said her body is shot because of pro skiing, and she is like 40, what a shame.
Oh there's all sorts of things a pro contract will prevent you from doing. I had a friend in the NFL, he was a long snapper, a far cry from being Tom Brady. No pickup basketball, riding motorcycles, skiing/snowboarding, etc.......The better and more in demand you are, the longer the list of activities you cannot participate in no matter the on/off season. All for good reason. Could you imagine the investment made in these top guys only to have an entire season ruined because your starting QB laid his motorcycle over during the off season? Not going to happen. Same thing as a top college athlete riding the bench waiting for the draft. It makes zero sense to take a chance. An athlete's career is already short enough even if they manage to avoid injury.

Oh there's all sorts of things a pro contract will prevent you from doing. I had a friend in the NFL, he was a long snapper, a far cry from being Tom Brady. No pickup basketball, riding motorcycles, skiing/snowboarding, etc.....

Not just the NFL, either. I had a neighbor who was a major league baseball player, and he had the same restrictions. Easier to list the recreational activities he was allowed to do than the ones he was forbidden.

One of the NFL team's just told there QB to stop playing any pickup basketball. The pressure to WIN is real and competitive.

Totally off topic, but related to above. Jim Lonborg, ace of the Red Sox pitching staff in 1967, got the team to the World Series, won two games (one was a one hitter), and lost to Bob Gibson and the Cardinals in the 7th game.

Tore up his knee skiing two months later, and was never the same. If I recall correctly, this led to the Red Sox, and many other teams, putting limitations on outside activities into contracts. So the above is nothing new.

Kinda weird now being a CardsFan, after growing up loving the Red Sox.

Totally off topic, but related to above. Jim Lonborg, ace of the Red Sox pitching staff in 1967, got the team to the World Series, won two games (one was a one hitter), and lost to Bob Gibson and the Cardinals in the 7th game.

Tore up his knee skiing two months later, and was never the same. If I recall correctly, this led to the Red Sox, and many other teams, putting limitations on outside activities into contracts. So the above is nothing new.

Kinda weird now being a CardsFan, after growing up loving the Red Sox.
Another unrelated item some Red Sox players were doing was drinking beer in the clubhouse during games in regular season until Sox coach Bobby Valentine banned the practice in 2012.

Really

Wow.Everything is a conspiracy.Did you ever consider that just maybe the shoe was defective and the 6 ft 8 270 lb super athlete wearing it just blew it out?
I guess we have arrived at a point where everything is about lying,cheating and fake everything.Give me a break.
By the way,Duke does not routinely win national championships just to keep it real and not fake.

Wow.Everything is a conspiracy.Did you ever consider that just maybe the shoe was defective and the 6 ft 8 270 lb super athlete wearing it just blew it out?
I guess we have arrived at a point where everything is about lying,cheating and fake everything.Give me a break.
By the way,Duke does not routinely win national championships just to keep it real and not fake.

Agree with this. The OP's first post is the first time I remember seeing something on this site that was just plain crazy.

Good to see Williamson back for the ACC tourney. I didn't catch much of the game but what I did see, he looked awesome.

He shot 100% from the field for an entire game. That, is perfection, though he needs to put more practice in his foul shooting,which he was 2/9, IIRC.

He shot 100% from the field for an entire game. That, is perfection, though he needs to put more practice in his foul shooting,which he was 2/9, IIRC.

I think 10 of them were dunks, hard to miss those. He did make one 3 pointer though.

My Tar Heels take on the ZionDuke team tonight at 9 pm. Should be a very interesting and entertaining game. A #1 seed in the NCAA is probably on the line. UNC probably cannot stop Zion's dunks but UNC can score alot themselves, especially from 3. UNC is a very fast team and Zion looked a little winded in the second half so maybe UNC can outrun him. The Tar Heel players have said they are looking forward to playing Duke at "full strength." The 2 regular season wins that UNC had against Duke during the regular season were almost too easy! Go Heels!

As a Cameron Crazie, the one and done era is a sad time in the loyalty for representing your school for 4 years and earning a degree. UNC vs DUKE is the greatest battle.

UNC has 3 starters on the basketball team graduating this year-- Luke May, Kenny Williams and graduate student Cam Johnson. It has been an honor and a privilege to watch Luke and Kenny play for 4 years and Cam for 2 years. After the final home game last week all 3 of these guys made Senior speeches and there was not a dry eye in the house.

UNC has not had many "one and done" players over the years but we currently have 2 Freshmen (Coby White, the starting point guard with the hair, and Nassir Little, the first player off the bench) who could be drafted pretty high this year and if so they are probably gone.

DUKE and Zion with his new shoes earned a hard fought victory last night over their arch rival UNC. But what really counts is going far in the NCAA tournament instead of playing in the ACC final. DUKE will play FSU for the ACC final while UNC gets more rest in prep for the upcoming tournament. Selection Sunday should be interesting and the teams are going to know their brackets. GO DUKE!

Nick12, it was a very enjoyable game (except for the final score!). UNC had its chances in the end to make a shot but ended up losing by 1 point. Zion is a great player, I will enjoy him in the NBA next year!

Selection Sunday will be interesting. The ACC should get 3 #1 seeds but UNC may be kicked down to a #2. I would like the #2 in Gonzaga's bracket, UNC has already beat them once this season. GO HEELS!

I doubt the ACC gets 3 #1s. I guess the Big East got 3 in 2009 so it could happen, but I think today's Tenn-Kentucky winner gets one.

Shoe drama baloney. Zion with his new Nike shoes and DUKE stepping up to the plate took the ACC crown defeating FSU. Looks like going to be No. 1 seed so playing close to home. It's good to have a winning record and goals to win your local tournament but the most important thing that counts is winning the NCAA tournament. Go DUKE! It's gonna be a great swan song since most of the starting 5 will turn pro after the season. But never fail, the team will reload with new freshman next year and NIKE/DUKE is a great relationship.

Don't count Duke's chickens before they hatch as the old saying goes! Zion is a great player but he is only a Freshman and has never played under the NCAA pressure. I hope UNC gets another shot at Zion/Duke in the Big Dance. UNC lost to Duke by 1 point on a night when UNC shot very poorly and our guy (Garrison Brooks) who was guarding Zion fouled out (UNC has a couple of guys coming off injuries that could help guarding Zion).

Interesting that UNC/Duke has never met in the NCAAs. It would have to be in the Final Four since the selection committee would never put Duke and UNC in the same region. If UNC and Duke ever meet in the Final Four the emergency rooms in North Carolina better gear up for all the heart attacks (and that is not meant to be a joke!).

Nike had some brand new shoes made especially for Zion, cost thousands (I am sure we will be seeing those in stores as soon as Zion becomes a pro). The pictures I have seen of the new shoes show they have extra reinforcement between the sole and the shoe part. Coach K stated in a recent interview that Zion wore the old shoes that broke too many times and they were worn out.

Nike turns shoebate into a money making business opportunity. What's next ? Zion bobble heads? Missed the good old days at Cameron cheering on DUKE. Very intimidating place to play especially with no heat or AC until it got installed at Cameron Indoor Stadium in 2002. Missed the sights and not so much the smells. The mens bathrooms were from 1940s which still had urinal troughs.

With Tennessee getting stomped, I'll change my guess just before bids are released and go with the 3 ACC teams and Gonzaga.

With Tennessee getting stomped, I'll change my guess just before bids are released and go with the 3 ACC teams and Gonzaga.

RunningBum, you got it--3 ACC teams and Gonzaga. Should be a great tournament.

RunningBum, you got it--3 ACC teams and Gonzaga. Should be a great tournament.
I'm not a Tar Heel fan at all, but good luck to your team anyway. Big name region with Kansas and Kentucky but I don't know if those teams are that strong this year.

DUKE has got the easiest path to the final four seeded No 1 in the East Region. Coach K is a master in making sure the team is peaking at the right time. Should be a great tournament.

Last edited:
Kentucky is a very good team this year, beat UNC in an early season tournament, they will give UNC all we can handle. I think Kansas is having a down year. UNC just has to play each game as it comes.

Even if you are not a UNC fan, you might be interested in finding out about our 3 Seniors, 3 great guys. Luke May, a senior starter was originally a walk on who earned a scholarship. He is a straight A business major who won the Skip Prosser award for the best ACC Academic player. Our other 2 seniors, Kenny Willams and Cam Johnson are great guys too. Cam graduated from Pitt, transferred to UNC as a graduate student 2 years ago and has turned out to be UNC's best shooter. Cam will be graduating with a Masters Degree. I have met him personally and he is very impressive.

Let the best team win!!

Back
Top Bottom