Shopping and restocking updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Or divide and conquer and act like you don't know each other.

I'm going today mainly because I need some Flonase. I was trying to hold off just in case there's any truth to the SNAP surge at the beginning of the month. I've got other stuff to get, and am waffling on whether to get it all in one go today or just get the necessities today and wait another week or whatever.

An item that I was mildly surprised to see shortages on last time I went was laundry pods. I'm sure people are doing more laundry, but when the entire shelf of stuff is gone that's a *lot* of laundry and/or people stocking up. I happened to be out and so I just got one package, which should last me a few months at least.

An item that I was mildly surprised to see shortages on last time I went was laundry pods.
Maybe people are eating them. I heard they may work as well as aquarium tablets.

Every medical expert is now providing consistent advice. Stay six feet apart.
Takes two to tango. This is why were are not cruising the stores. Other people decide that 6 ft. doesn't matter. Should I bark at them when they approach? I kind of do that when walking on a path and they decide to rub shoulders with me.

Takes two to tango. This is why were are not cruising the stores. Other people decide that 6 ft. doesn't matter. Should I bark at them when they approach? I kind of do that when walking on a path and they decide to rub shoulders with me.
Most people I've encountered in the stores the past couple of weeks have adhered to this policy. Some people even have looks of horror when they turn around and see someone is within 10' of them.

The one thing I have to wonder about is the curbside and delivery services used by the stores. The collecting carts sit in the aisles, and people are not adhering to the 6' rule with those carts. Sometimes, it's hard to do unless the cart is right up against one side of the aisle. And even then, that doesn't prevent someone from brushing up against the carts when they are trying to purchase something that is nearby or behind them.

The belief that the food and supplies that was collected without any customer contamination may be misguided. If anything, I think people are staying away from each other further than people are staying away from these collecting carts. I'm also seeing people handle products that don't end up in their own carts. There is no ideal solution.

Last edited:
Most people I've encountered in the stores the past couple of weeks have adhered to this policy. Some people even have looks of horror when they turn around and see someone is within 10' of them.
That's good to know. We haven't stepped foot inside in 3 weeks, so I may be projecting from my experience.

I was going on my experience of walking the city trails. Quite a bit of policy breaking, despite the numerous new reminders posted by the city.

Our friend's daughter works at Home Depot and was freaking out over the customer's behavior. That was a week ago. As things are getting more serious, maybe they've changed.

Last edited:
OK, now I know why my FedEx packages are taking so long to get here. :LOL:

7D313291-4589-4540-9139-C6C4697EF563.jpg

The one thing I have to wonder about is the curbside and delivery services used by the stores. The collecting carts sit in the aisles, and people are not adhering to the 6' rule with those carts. Sometimes, it's hard to do unless the cart is right up against one side of the aisle. And even then, that doesn't prevent someone from brushing up against the carts when they are trying to purchase something that is nearby or behind them.

The belief that the food and supplies that was collected without any customer contamination may be misguided. If anything, I think people are staying away from each other further than people are staying away from these collecting carts. I'm also seeing people handle products that don't end up in their own carts. There is no ideal solution.

Nice to know.

For Walmart, they have bags inside the plastic boxes, so most times if someone brushed along the plastic boxes, the bags inside are not touched much. I consider the bags as infected and throw them out anyhow.

Whether I'm shopping myself, or pickup, it's impossible to know if 1/2 an hour previously, some other shopper stood in front of the shelf and sneezed/coughed over everything, so unavoidable.

Just got my Walmart grocery pick up for this week (my town is allowing only one grocery shopping trip each week--not sure how this is being enforced). Got only part of my order-- of course no paper products, no sanitizer but also no meats like hamburger and chicken. I have a diary allergy and cannot find nondairy milk, margarine, etc (I have enough left for a week or so but after that my diet is going to be very limited). In a week when I am permitted to go to the grocery again I am going to have to go to the food co-op or Whole Foods to try to get nondairy items. I may try to get a delivery of nondairy items from somewhere.

When I get the groceries home I am cleaning all perishables with disinfectant before I put them in the frig, produce gets a good wash down and non perishable items go into quarantine in corner for a few days.

I have been buying some meats from Omaha Steaks but for the first time ever they are also sold out of a lot of things. I am getting somewhat concerned about what I am going to have to eat for for the long haul. I guess it may be rice and beans for me.

Today at Costco while I was getting the all important paper products I also picked up 5 pounds of Manila clams. Thanks for little luxuries! They are magnificent, very fresh, not many broken, all still alive and full of sea water. I made some sauce and ate half of them raw on the half shell. Probably steam the other half and dip in butter.

I only have a few rolls of paper towels left and none are in the stores locally so I have been bidding on a pack 6 Bounty paper towel rolls on eBay. Bidding just got to $55 so I guess no paper towels for me. I will have to use some old torn up t-shirts for cleaning.

Some local college students set up a website that is trying to help people find items in short supply

INSTOK

I haven't actually tested it out by going to a store to see if it matches, but it might be worth a try.

Harllee - I put in a Chapel Hill zip and it brought up a couple potential options for you. Let us know if it works for you.

Just got my Walmart grocery pick up for this week (my town is allowing only one grocery shopping trip each week--not sure how this is being enforced). Got only part of my order-- of course no paper products, no sanitizer but also no meats like hamburger and chicken. I have a diary allergy and cannot find nondairy milk, margarine, etc (I have enough left for a week or so but after that my diet is going to be very limited). In a week when I am permitted to go to the grocery again I am going to have to go to the food co-op or Whole Foods to try to get nondairy items. I may try to get a delivery of nondairy items from somewhere.

When I get the groceries home I am cleaning all perishables with disinfectant before I put them in the frig, produce gets a good wash down and non perishable items go into quarantine in corner for a few days.

I have been buying some meats from Omaha Steaks but for the first time ever they are also sold out of a lot of things. I am getting somewhat concerned about what I am going to have to eat for for the long haul. I guess it may be rice and beans for me.

I would not count Walmart pickup as grocery shopping. As the intent of that rule is to cut down on crowds interacting which would happen a lot more if everyone went 4x per week.

I've done the Walmart pickup twice now, and there was nobody closer to me than 7 feet, even as they put stuff in my auto.

For me, Walmart had chicken, so maybe build an order now, and put more than 1 in your list, with other stuff that you will need later, then tonight see if it is there and if so, select a pick up time.

We didn't get the two packs of 10lbs of frozen chicken breast, but we got two 3lb packs , so that is nearly as good.

I went out the grocery for the first time in a week. Fresh Thyme. Did not check paper goods, but everything else was in supply. Late morning. Most people respected your space. No lines. Very easy. Lot's of sales on fresh fruits and veggies.

Did notice they now have Plexi-glass shields at the checkouts. Makes sense.

They are a little pricier than other places, and not as trendy as Whole foods or Trader Joe's. We normally only go there for sale items, but I think that might change.

Some local college students set up a website that is trying to help people find items in short supply

INSTOK

I haven't actually tested it out by going to a store to see if it matches, but it might be worth a try.

Harllee - I put in a Chapel Hill zip and it brought up a couple potential options for you. Let us know if it works for you.

Thanks, I tried this-- showed no paper towels, chicken or hamburger in my area but they did show that a place had coconut milk so I will try to track that down.

We are a college town and most of the college kids have gone home so I thought our grocery inventory would start increasing but it has not --if anything the inventory seems worse than it was 2 weeks ago.

I only have a few rolls of paper towels left and none are in the stores locally so I have been bidding on a pack 6 Bounty paper towel rolls on eBay. Bidding just got to $55 so I guess no paper towels for me. I will have to use some old torn up t-shirts for cleaning.

For $13.50, you can get things like this 24 pack of reusable microfiber cleaning cloths, maybe that is an option:

https://www.amazon.com/Zwipes-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloths-24-Pack/dp/B00ANZHG7C/ref=sr_1_5

:

For $13.50, you can get things like this 24 pack of reusable microfiber cleaning cloths, maybe that is an option:

https://www.amazon.com/Zwipes-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloths-24-Pack/dp/B00ANZHG7C/ref=sr_1_5

:

I have some cleaning cloths similar to this I use for dusting. If I cannot find paper towels I will just wash these cloths and use them for wiping up and cleaning. I probably use paper towels too much anyway, it would be environmentally better for me to use cleaning cloths. Thanks!

:

Light bulb on! I have 35 out of a 36 pack in the garage. Mine were from Costco, and are 16" x 16". A safety pin makes them a mask.

Probably won't need/use them, we have two unused n95 masks from renovating our moldy summer house, but these are good backup if this stretches many months.

These guys: https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...6-in-x-16-in,-36-count.product.100356999.html

Last edited:
Harllee, do you have a sprouts farmers market grocery store near you. There is one in Raleigh. They have a fairly large selection of non-dairy products. I get them for my wife all the time.

Harllee, do you have a sprouts farmers market grocery store near you. There is one in Raleigh. They have a fairly large selection of non-dairy products. I get them for my wife all the time.

No Sprouts here but we do have a Whole Foods so I will try there. I wish I had done more "hoarding" of things like nondairy...I just never thought the lack of groceries would get this bad. I had about a months supply of things but that is turning out not to be enough.

My wife went to her doctor for an annual checkup. On the way home, she stopped by a Dollar Tree store, and it happened to have some hand sanitizers. Score! Limit 2 per buyer.

Her sister in her daily phone call from San Diego said she finally saw the line at her Costco short enough to go in for the first time in a few weeks. Still no rice and some other things.

We're still ok

In central VA, the local Kroger is fully stocked with produce, dairy, eggs and the peasant meats we get; you know, those 3 lb styrofoam trays of ground beef, commonplace brands of cut up chicken, packaged pork shoulders, etc. Also, sacks and sacks of frozen shrimp, crabmeat and the like.

But the fancy meats in the butcher-style glass cases and the fresh seafood on crushed ice are both shut down.

Not a single can of tuna to be seen. Very little pasta or canned beans.

Zero toilet paper, paper towels, or napkins. Maybe a dozen of those tiny cubes of facial tissues: limit one per customer, even though the sign at the front of the store says limit 3 per customer.

No liquid hand soap. No disinfectants. No bleach. No dishwasher detergent.

Plenty of beer and wine, though. And the cocktail mixer area is once again replete with tonic water, after having had none a week ago. (I have forgotten the link, but I saw some report about quinine showing prophylactic benefits even in quantities much lower than therapeutic levels.) Lots of various vitamins.

Overall, we're in no danger of starving. Especially me, since I'm still wearing sufficient reserves to last me till Halley's Comet returns. Despite putting in more treadmill time since retiring, those pounds took decades to trowel on and they are not leaving without a fight.

Costco during old fogey hour. Went to pharmacy for fat pills and eye drops while DW shopped. Line spanned the parking lot. Two things.

1. No line when finished - should have waited a half hour.

2. They had a pile of TP (? rolls per package). ? 4 to 5 foot high by ? 4 to 6 feet wide by maybe 20 feet long. I think they caught up.

heh heh heh - :D

I can't find toilet paper to save my life. Nor disinfecting wipes or hand sanitizer. I don't know when they put it on the shelves, but it must not last but a few minutes before it's all gone again.

I've checked hourly on SAM's and COSTCO websites, nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom