Shopping and restocking updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I skipped Costco this week but went to the local chain to replenish some things, 8 days after my last grocery shopping trip. To look at the list, it would seem most are non-essentials (wild bird seed, fresh asparagus) but I think I'm reacting to the shocking revelation that stores won't always have what I want/need when I run out and I have to be better at anticipating what I'll use up because running to the store any old time is now risky.

The store was out of wipes to sanitize grocery cart handles. Oops. I didn't even try to see if they had hand sanitizer available to buy. I have about 1/3 of a travel-size bottle left. Good supply of paper towels (Limit 1 pack) but no TP. I haven't seen TP since I bought it in Costco on 3/19. Darn good thing I did. I use rags for cleaning so am not in the least concerned about my 2-roll paper towel supply but would have serious reservations about using them in place of TP.

I can't find Borax (20 Mule Team). Target is out and Amazon is selling it for four times what I paid a couple of months ago.

What are people doing with it? I use it in my laundry.

I skipped Costco this week but went to the local chain to replenish some things, 8 days after my last grocery shopping trip. To look at the list, it would seem most are non-essentials (wild bird seed, fresh asparagus) but I think I'm reacting to the shocking revelation that stores won't always have what I want/need when I run out and I have to be better at anticipating what I'll use up because running to the store any old time is now risky.

The store was out of wipes to sanitize grocery cart handles. Oops. I didn't even try to see if they had hand sanitizer available to buy. I have about 1/3 of a travel-size bottle left. Good supply of paper towels (Limit 1 pack) but no TP. I haven't seen TP since I bought it in Costco on 3/19. Darn good thing I did. I use rags for cleaning so am not in the least concerned about my 2-roll paper towel supply but would have serious reservations about using them in place of TP.

Just don't flush them, or you will end up with clogged pipes. Instead a garbage pail with lid and plastic bag inside can be the disposal spot.
Yes bit smelly, and only for desperate times.

I know a family with an outhouse on rocks, and that is what they do to prevent "filling up" the hole faster.

I can't quite fathom it

Quick question: What is everybody's practical interpretation of the 6-foot rule?

The aisles in the grocery store are not wide enough to accommodate 6 feet of separation if another shopper is stopped or coming in the opposite direction. Do you stop, turn around, or accept that a momentary close pass is ok?

Quick question: What is everybody's practical interpretation of the 6-foot rule?

The aisles in the grocery store are not wide enough to accommodate 6 feet of separation if another shopper is stopped or coming in the opposite direction. Do you stop, turn around, or accept that a momentary close pass is ok?

Next time you go into a store i think you will find the aisle is now a one way..

Just don't flush them, or you will end up with clogged pipes. Instead a garbage pail with lid and plastic bag inside can be the disposal spot.

Sorry- I meant using rags instead of TP! I know that septic systems can get clogged even with "flushable wipes" so I wouldn't try flushing paper towels.

Now I try to stick to what they told us on the small cruise ships I use: "don't flush anything except your own waste and the TP we provide".

I can't find Borax (20 Mule Team). Target is out and Amazon is selling it for four times what I paid a couple of months ago.

Snorting it.

Sorry- I meant using rags instead of TP! I know that septic systems can get clogged even with "flushable wipes" so I wouldn't try flushing paper towels.

Now I try to stick to what they told us on the small cruise ships I use: "don't flush anything except your own waste and the TP we provide".

I figured as most folks do, especially ones that have traveled.

Sometimes I write for other readers who might read the thread.

My current grocery store has not implemented one-way aisles yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if that happens.

Currently I accept momentary close passes. If another shopper is stopped in the aisle ahead of me, I will stop more than 6 feet away from them and wait for them to finish whatever they're doing. Then either a momentary pass or we continue on down the aisle, depending on if our direction of travel is the same or opposite.

Dunno, but here you go: https://www.bulkapothecary.com/product/raw-ingredients/other-ingredients-and-chemicals/borax/?sku=M-015-chem-89&gclid=CjwKCAjwvZv0BRA8EiwAD9T2VWZiUKym27IhD8gZQPvyHHB3ise0iT3GlChNsT0PgwOoOrGI9avreRoCCpQQAvD_BwE

I too am (now) curious as to its use that would make it 'scarce'.

Did my weekly visit to a local grocery for fruits & veggies & dark chocolate (especially the chocolate :smitten:). It's a small store, so social distancing is difficult. Fortunately, there weren't many people in the store (especially for high season). Plenty of stock. I avoided the cashier who was continually sniffling and wiping her nose with her hands while bagging other customers' groceries. Hopefully she just has an allergy, but who knows? :confused:

P.S. I've implemented an in-house food-supply pipeline / mini-quarantine (first-in / first-out). Newly purchased items go into the pipeline and emerge 3 days later ready for my use. The health advantage here isn't absolute but merely probabilistic, but why not allow any viral particles on food and containers 3 days to degrade if it's easy to do? :confused:
I have implemented the same plan. I had Amazon Pantry deliveries put in my garage for a three day decontamination period. So yesterday it snowed and last night it got down to 15 degrees F. I am just hoping the food did not freeze.

I only have a few rolls of paper towels left and none are in the stores locally so I have been bidding on a pack 6 Bounty paper towel rolls on eBay. Bidding just got to $55 so I guess no paper towels for me. I will have to use some old torn up t-shirts for cleaning.

Walmart has white kitchen towels - 7 or 9 (can't rmember) for $4. This is what I always use for cleaning. I use about 2 rolls of paper towels a year; they are reserved for cleanup of gross things (think: dog puke). Even dog accidents have reusable towels. I also have a large stack of old t-shirts which have been cut to use as toweling. Check out those walmart towels - I like them alot.

Next time you go into a store i think you will find the aisle is now a one way..

Never really understood why they weren't always one way.

If someone in front of me stalls to look at an item I hold my breath and rush passed slowing when I get 6 feet away.

Walmart has white kitchen towels - 7 or 9 (can't rmember) for $4. This is what I always use for cleaning. I use about 2 rolls of paper towels a year; they are reserved for cleanup of gross things (think: dog puke). Even dog accidents have reusable towels. I also have a large stack of old t-shirts which have been cut to use as toweling. Check out those walmart towels - I like them alot.

Thank you-- have some shop towels and some cut up t shirts, etc and that is what I will use. I like to use the paper towels with alcohol as disinfectant wipes (I have also run out of disinfectant wipes and none are available) and then just throw them in the trash but I am going to have to figure out some other way to do that.

Finally snagged paper towels at Costco yesterday and this morning my wife's nephew, who has been trying all week by getting lined up early at Costco, got us a pack of TP. We are good to go, so to speak. ;)

I must say as an early adopter of Amazon Prime I'm pretty disappointed in it in this pandemic scenario. They claim they're prioritizing the must-needed supplies but you can't even find TP or hand soap refills to order. Sure there are a few third party sellers selling whatever for however much but I don't see these products sold-by Amazon. However, they are available through Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods...except last time I tried it 3-4 days ago I couldn't even get a future deliver date. It just said 'no dates available for delivery, try again'. So yeah, pretty disappointed in Amazon.

Amazon Fresh has been working fine for us so far, with the exception of being out of stock on most paper and sanitizing goods. If I look back at the site every hour or so after building my list, I eventually catch an open delivery slot, grab it and check out.

Quality has been good. (Well, DW reported one bruised banana and a peach that was pretty darn green.) But generally everything expected arrives on our front stoop, well packed and within the two hour slot.

We're not out of anything right now. But, if Icould find some facial tissue, face masks, disposable gloves and disinfectants (spray and wipes), I'd like a bit more.

DW and I are both over 70 with underlying health issues, so we're really trying hard to not have to do an actual store run. We're thankful for the folks at Amazon Fresh / Whole Foods picking, packing and delivering for us. And we're thankful our LBYM/frugal lifestyle has enabled us to have the resources today that paying more for groceries doesn't impact us in any significant way.

Last edited:
The coffee shop here, Sambalatte, on the west side of Las Vegas is selling TP, eggs, milk and a few other things (not paper towels). If you are desperate, you might look into a venue doing something similar in your area.

I guess I just got lucky. :D

Last time I ordered paper towels from Sam's Club (free delivery for Plus members), my order was
1 pack of paper towels
2 packs of cookies.

They sent me
2 packs of paper towels
1 pack of cookies.

When I called to tell them about the mistake, they sent the cookies, but they let me keep the extra paper towels. So, 30 rolls of paper towels! :LOL:

That was in 2018? I still have a 8 rolls left.

Last edited:

If someone in front of me stalls to look at an item I hold my breath and rush passed slowing when I get 6 feet away.

That’s what I’ve been doing. Kind of like golf, just keep moving. I also get as far away as the isle will allow.

So far the stores I have not shopped at are not crowded. If there are a few people in an aisle I will back up and find another empty aisle to go down. If someone is stopped near something I need I will leave the appropriate social distance and wait. Depending on the situation I might hum through my mask the "Final Jeopardy" theme while I wait. :)

DW drove to CVS today (twice) to get some allergy meds but the parking lot was packed so she skipped it. It is right outside our neighborhood, actually in walking distance. She's going to try again when they open in the morning.

Problem is so many "non-essential" stores are closed that the "essential" stores are swamped for essential and "non-essential*" items.

*who has the POWER to decide?

DW drove to CVS today (twice) to get some allergy meds but the parking lot was packed so she skipped it. It is right outside our neighborhood, actually in walking distance. She's going to try again when they open in the morning.

Problem is so many "non-essential" stores are closed that the "essential" stores are swamped for essential and "non-essential*" items.

Vermont just solved this problem by banning the sale of “non-essential” items at big box stores like Target, Walmart and Costco. Those stores have to rope off the aisles that contain non-essentials so that nobody can buy them. Other states may be watching Vermont to see how effective this is. I would hate to see it happen because it means virtually anything you need outside of food is going to have to come from online merchants.

https://www.today.com/home/big-box-...et-stop-selling-nonessentials-vermont-t177397

Vermont just solved this problem by banning the sale of “non-essential” items at big box stores like Target, Walmart and Costco. Those stores have to rope off the aisles that contain non-essentials so that nobody can buy them. Other states may be watching Vermont to see how effective this is. I would hate to see it happen because it means virtually anything you need outside of food is going to have to come from online merchants.

https://www.today.com/home/big-box-...et-stop-selling-nonessentials-vermont-t177397

Yes, that's stupid.

I would drive up to the drive through window. If you feel you need to make an excuse for using the drive through, tell them you’re high risk.

It's not only that, stores that are open have REDUCED their hours, so now all the shoppers have to concentrate within fewer hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom