Should I Feel Guilty?

Advice about what to do? Hey, save watching out for pickpockets in a few places in Barcelona, ha ha, ...... Just come!

Thanks, Vicente! I also have a Sicilian friend who will steer me clear if I can come to Italy. But it would be fun to see Spain and pretend to be Hemingway :)

Last edited:
Beware Vicente, it usually starts with wives or girlfriends doing nasty things to their innocent, sleeping partners.

Ha
Has my comment been too acerbic, or was your post a clever joke. Being an English learner entails having doubts about the precise meaning of posts:confused:

Has my comment been too acerbic, or was your post a clever joke. Being an English learner entails having doubts about the precise meaning of posts:confused:
Just a joke, and not a particularly funny one. Perhaps only decipherable to people who are familiar with US crime reporting.

I do think that it is funny for an American to worry about violent crime in Spain.

Ha

You think I shouldn't?

No, of course not. It's just that Flamenco is.....one of the typical Spanish cliches by which Spain is commonly looked upon. Ok, I'm not totally fair- I don't like it. As I don't like bullfights or Benidorm/Torremolinas. Hey, but I love paella:LOL:

No, of course not. It's just that Flamenco is.....one of the typical Spanish cliches by which Spain is commonly looked upon. Ok, I'm not totally fair- I don't like it. As I don't like bullfights or Benidorm/Torremolinas. Hey, but I love paella:LOL:
Ok, now I get it. :)
I don't care for paella, but I do enjoy chipirones and cheese from the Basque region. And have seen Paco de Lucia perform twice, which is what inspires me to want to see Flamenco in its place of origin. Not sure about living in Spain, but it is number 1 of places I want to get to know before the worms get me.

Last edited:
I think that we, humans, have a fundamental need to be productive. Even if it means going for a long walk.

This is certainly true on some level for virtually everyone -- it's just part of who we are and how we've evolved. Today's urge to be "productive" probably comes in large part from our ancient ancestors' drive to acquire food, build and maintain shelter, and do all the daily stuff needed just to survive for another day/week/month. Seems pretty natural to me that we all still have that drive within us, although in our modern world of plentiful food, shelter, etc., it is expressed in more complex ways.

Personally, I don't usually feel good at the end of a day where I do "nothing". There has to be some semblance of productive activity for me to feel happy and satisfied. For me, that can be as simple as washing the car or cutting the grass, but honestly the most satisfying days are ones where I accomplish (or at least make progress on) something meaningful to me that isn't just a routine chore. I think it's human nature to be fulfilled by doing productive work, and it's very much up to each individual to define what that entails.

To the OP's question about feeling guilty about not getting things done on a set time table, I guess I would say that it's not about feeling guilty. It's about feeling unsatisfied and unhappy over the long run if you're procrastinating so much that you're never really achieving anything meaningful (i.e., meaningful to you).

Personally, I don't usually feel good at the end of a day where I do "nothing". There has to be some semblance of productive activity for me to feel happy and satisfied. For me, that can be as simple as washing the car or cutting the grass, but honestly the most satisfying days are ones where I accomplish (or at least make progress on) something meaningful to me that isn't just a routine chore. I think it's human nature to be fulfilled by doing productive work, and it's very much up to each individual to define what that entails.

To the OP's question about feeling guilty about not getting things done on a set time table, I guess I would say that it's not about feeling guilty. It's about feeling unsatisfied and unhappy over the long run if you're procrastinating so much that you're never really achieving anything meaningful (i.e., meaningful to you).

Good points Sojourner. That's the same way I feel and operate. I never gave it much thought, till now. I do know that life is too short to waste.

Sometimes, doing nothing is the most productive thing I could be doing...

Bigal50

I was wondering how you pronounce your name. Could you break it down into syllables for me? (I don't care so much about the "50" part of the name, so don't bother breaking that part down (unless you have a strong need to do so).
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom