Should Martha go back to work?

Should Martha retire now?

• Yes, retire already

Votes: 39 79.6%
  • No, get back to work

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
Sheryl said:
I am still considering telling my partners I want to go part time next year, but I'm worried about how they'll take it.

I was the first one and only one to ever go part time at my office. My partners are very hard workers and as in most firms, value production (assuming of course quality work :)). Sometime ago one of the partners suggesting looking into having a sabatical program. As president, I expanded that concept into looking at alternative work arrangements. I thought that alternative arrangements might be a way of attracting talent. So the idea of part time arrangements was discussed and not pooh poohed outright.

Several years went by. I had earned a fair amount of political capital by virtue of being president. In the few months before the end of my term I told my board that I wished to look at going part time. I said that I would form a committee (boards always seem to like that :)) to help me craft a proposal that was fair to the firm and would make sure clients get served. Over several months I worked with the committee, ending up making a proposal to the board which was accepted and which was then accepted by the shareholders. Not unanimously.

((^+^)) SG said:
I voted no. I figure if you were asking the question, you weren't ready. Despite how most of the folks on this board feel, a lot of people really don't feel comfortable in retirement. I don't understand a lot of them, but that really does seem to be how they feel. And despite how most folks on this board feel, that isn't a sign of inferior moral quality -- it's just a lifestyle choice.

Also, it doesn't have to be a choice between work the 60 hour per week of a careerist or retire. There is a continuum of work/retirement time. Choose the balance you want and find a way to do it. :)

Ouch! :-\ I have long believed I will never feel ready--too much the worrier. But I hope to retire inspite of my discomfort. :)

Martha said:
I was the first one and only one to ever go part time at my office.  My partners are very hard workers and as in most firms, value production (assuming of course quality work :)).  Sometime ago one of the partners suggesting looking into having a sabatical program.  As president, I expanded that concept into looking at alternative work arrangements.  I thought that alternative arrangements might be a way of attracting talent.  So the idea of part time arrangements was discussed and not pooh poohed outright. 

Several years went by.  I had earned a fair amount of political capital by virtue of being president.  In the few months before the end of my term I told my board that I wished to look at going part time.  I said that I would form a committee (boards always seem to like that :)) to help me craft a proposal that was fair to the firm and would make sure clients  get served.  Over several months I worked with the committee, ending up making a proposal to the board which was accepted and which was then accepted by the shareholders.  Not unanimously.

Jesus!  Committees, proposals, months of negotiating...What a process to be able to work a few less hours!!   I know I could never go through a process like that just to reduce my work hours.  I would rather just quit given the two options.

The nice thing about being self-employed is that one day I decided to work less hours and I did.  

retire@40 said:
Jesus! Committees, proposals, months of negotiating...What a process to be able to work a few less hours!! I know I could never go through a process like that just to reduce my work hours. I would rather just quit given the two options.

The nice thing about being self-employed is that one day I decided to work less hours and I did.

But. . . I have people to cover for me when I am gone. Like now. And I don't have to deal with the business aspects of running the firm anymore.

The process was long but not difficult. I knew from the get go what I wanted and got it. :)

Martha said:
The process was long but not difficult.  I knew from the get go what I wanted and got it.  :)

Thanks for the rundown on details Martha. This firm is similar, in that value is based on production, and the architects are too busy doing architecture to run a business - so it suffers. What I'm thinking of suggesting is that I basically stop doing architecture, stop having my own clients, and focus on two things the firm needs - business management and quality control of the projects going out the door.

But I'm not sure that's what I really want or just what I think the firm needs.

Martha said:
Ouch!   :-\  I have long believed I will never feel ready--too much the worrier.  But I hope to retire inspite of my discomfort.   :)
I didn't mean to insult you. There shouldn't be anything insulting about a decision you make about what to do. I'm probably wrong. You probably are ready to retire and you should do it.
:)

((^+^)) SG said:
I didn't mean to insult you. There shouldn't be anything insulting about a decision you make about what to do. I'm probably wrong. You probably are ready to retire and you should do it.
:)

No insult perceived. :)

Uh, I am sitting at my desk at work right now, going through the mail. My goal is now June 2006, after some of our more risky real estate inivestments pay off. If they flop and we actually lose money, we shall see. Will not be working much though; my desk is pretty empty given interest rate increases and the fact that I haven't shopped for work in months.

So I guess the nos have it for now. :(

In the early 80s there was a couple in Portland- one a lumber broker, the other an archtect.  When interest rates started going up they planned a sabatical, sold their home, and traveled for a couple years.  Came back as business picked back up.  Did well on the house sale as the market had dropped and the net from the home sale earned a lot of interest.

Martha, I dithered for well over a year about whether to retire or not. But I set the process in motion by committing this past summer to the building of a house in a city a long ways away. Possession date is late April 2006. Thus I know my retirement date!

Back
Top Bottom