Should we go to Machu Picchu too?

DW and I are already pretty set on taking a (probably) once in a lifetime trip for a 16 day, professionally led photography workshop to Patagonia, home to some of the most awe inspiring landscapes on the planet. It is over $6K per person, but we can use airline miles to get most of the way there. It is pretty inclusive after that.

What I am really pondering is, if we are going to be "in the neighborhood" so to speak, should we spend another $2K or more to visit Machu Picchu. I know it is a large site in a rare mountain setting. However, we have seen a lot of ancient stone built sites - castles, Mayan ruins, smaller stone age cities, etc. Is one more worth the added expense? I have some input from friends and family but thought I would also try "the community". What say you?
Sure, why not, beats Coney Island maybe.

Ha

We were there two years ago and it was clearly one of the top trips of our life. We did a Tauck trip that include Manchu Picu (about 10 days) coupled with another 10 days at the Gallopogos. Had INCREDIBLE guides on the Peru leg. Trip itinerary is here 404
Tauck is top end tour group--all included (none of that gratuity and shopping con). We also stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge at the entrance to Manchu Picu. Our guide was a college trained hospitality major (raised on the Amazon side of the Andes) who was fabulous at providing the back story to so much of the popular history.
Got both item on buckle list in one trip. ;-).
Pm me if you want more details.
nwsteve

You know how sometimes you see a cool looking place in National Geographic, so you go there and it is not quite as great as it looked in the magazine? Machu Picchu is not that place. It is far and away the most spectacular place we have ever seen. No picture can ever do it justice. You really should not miss it.

This is very helpful. We do enjoy ancient sites but MP is not just down the block and I would not want to be disappointed.

By now you probably know that Macchu Picchu isn't just more ruins to wander through. It's quite amazing and spectacular. So, I am thinking the following:

You want to go.
You can afford to go.
You have the time to go.
You aren't getting any younger, and there are some physically demanding things to do there that perhaps you won't be able to do when you are 75 (like walk the Inca Trail).
If you don't go, you will always wonder if maybe you should have done that.

Seems crystal clear to me... GO!!! And have a great time. :greetings10:

WELL OK THEN. I guess it is pretty much settled. All the input from every source was to go.

Reactions: W2R
We just got back from 10 days in Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Macchu Pichu, and Lake Titikaka. It was the gate1 trip referenced earlier. Incredible!!! Unlike anything I have experenced to date. If you can stand being on the road for so long, extend your trip. Get a good guide and enjoy. If you think it's too long away, it doesn't cost that much more money to make a second trip south of the equator - only time. It takes a full day to get to Lima from Chicago. You should also consider the dry/wet season may be different between Peru and Patagonia depending on where in Pata you are headed. Bon Voyage.

I just watched a video of 4 days hike to Macchu Picchu from a British couple. It's nice but I doubt that my husband and I will go. Lots of rocky steps.

I just watched a video of 4 days hike to Macchu Picchu from a British couple. It's nice but I doubt that my husband and I will go. Lots of rocky steps.

Fedup- you don't have to do that hike to go to Macchu Picchu. We did it 4 years ago, and yes, it is grueling. Day 3 was down these HUGE rocky steps for about 6 hours straight, after reaching a pass that was 13,900 feet. I am 5'2'', the steps were steeper than my lower legs....I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!

But, you can also take the train from Cuzco and then a bus up to MP.

My husband and I are wimps. I'm more wimp than he is. But I don't like height. When we went to Eiffel Tower, I didn't climb up. I'm getting a bit of height phobia as I get older.

The main site at MP has plenty to explore without dealing with lots of steps. From Cuzco (or Lima) take transportation to Agua Caliente, then a bus from there to the national park. Agua Caliente is a tiny town and there are hotels that you can book for an overnight, so you can explore MP over two days.

If you do decide you'd like to hike a part of the Inca Trail, there is a 2 mile hike up to the Sun Gate on the Inca Trail. It is steep with lots of steps, but you will get encouragement from travelers from all over the world to keep climbing. When you get to the top, you get this view. MP is on the left.

Attachments

• DSCF8262.jpg
    DSCF8262.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 11
We went up to the Sun Gate first thing one morning, so we didn't have a lot of traffic as matter of fact we left our travel buddies behind and went pretty quickly.

DSCN0673.jpg

When you get to the top, you get this view. MP is on the left.

+1
After our three day hike along the trail to the gate, I'll never forget my first glimpse of MP from that point. It was amazing, and the journey there made it more so. Of course not everyone can do that hike, but if you are on the fence, do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom