Simple filing system (for seniors)

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
A three part system, developed over many years of studying and trial/error testing.

Part 1. To do- that which must be handled. Small wire basket.

Part 2. That which may or must be filed.

Part two explained:
All paper that does not have a time limit goes into the much larger filing basket... (which we have renamed the "piling basket".

Part 3.... periodically... every month or two, or three... I sit on the floor, and sort materials from the "Piling Basket" About three quarters goes into the trash, and the other quarter, into the actual real file box.... The whole process of doing this takes about 20 minutes.
....................................................................................................

A far cry from the early years, where we used a filing cabinet, with three drawers and perhaps 120 separate file folders. Almost impossible to find anything. Hours of searching and frustration.

I scan any mail and put the image in a folder on my machine. The original goes in the trash.

I make a decision right away whether the item is junk or not. Junk gets recycled on the spot. I'd guess 95% of inbound mail is junk.

Almost no paper generated that didn't come through the mail.

Very little is retained, even the non-junk.

One thing we’ve started doing is collecting most of our junk mail and statements in a bin. Then about twice a year, there is a document handling company that we take it to for shredding. They have “shred day” the first Saturday of every month. For a $5 donation, you can drop off up to 300 pounds. Way more than our bin. You can watch them put it in the massive shredder, but after doing that a couple times, now we just let them take our bin and dump it in a larger bin. They’re in the document security business so I’m comfortable with that. Saves us having to sort through junk mail to see if it has information we don’t want in the recycle bin and it is a secure way to deal with our statements and such without having to spend time with our little shredder. I could probably find a place for free, but $5 is worth it and I know it’s always the first Saturday of the month. Plus, it’s quick and painless.

I open my mail over the burn box. Most junk, unwanted mailboxes into the box to be burned. Anything else is two categories, cards or newspapers in to be read pile. Bills into to be paid pile. Once bills are paid they go in burn box. Save cc statement for a year then burn.

I shred all junk mail when it arrives. The remainder of the mail is reviewed by me. Anything important is scanned and the rest is shredded after reading.

A three part system, developed over many years of studying and trial/error testing.

Part 1. To do- that which must be handled. Small wire basket.

Part 2. That which may or must be filed.

Part two explained:
All paper that does not have a time limit goes into the much larger filing basket... (which we have renamed the "piling basket".

Part 3.... periodically... every month or two, or three... I sit on the floor, and sort materials from the "Piling Basket" About three quarters goes into the trash, and the other quarter, into the actual real file box.... The whole process of doing this takes about 20 minutes.
....................................................................................................

A far cry from the early years, where we used a filing cabinet, with three drawers and perhaps 120 separate file folders. Almost impossible to find anything. Hours of searching and frustration.

Very similar, except ours is 1) small file in cupboard above desk- review daily, 2) top of desk by computer-review weekly, 3) small file box that I go through monthly.

Junk mail does not get past the recycle bin. That takes care of 95 percent.

Just about all of the remaining five percent gets shredded the same day.

Age-old management mantra: Touch a piece of paper only once. Our paper shredder is conveniently located at the kitchen table right next to the recycle bin. We don't file anything anymore.

Junk mail does not get past the recycle bin. That takes care of 95 percent.

The only exception is the little scratch pad that some local realtor mails occasionally.

Just about all of the remaining five percent gets shredded the same day.

Reminds me of an old Andy Rooney segment.

He said he immediately un-staples all paper received and throws all of them in a big pile on the desk.

He said, "I find that they seek their own level of importance....."

Junk mail directly to garbage/recycle. There's something special about a messy desk. My desk is a large L shaped desk with lots of drawers. I guess the mess makes me feel like I'm busy. There's stuff on this desk from 2 years ago. Every so often I'll go through the mess and find something I forgot about. Typically, I'll decide to leave it there. I actually have Christmas cards and pictures, letters from way more than 2 years ago. One day I was rummaging through the mess in the main drawer and found a picture of my DH with his secretary from his first job, 33 years ago. She was beautiful, of course. My stomach reacted with a tinge of jealousy. Then, I wondered what she looks like now. I felt better.

Back
Top Bottom