Simple HSA Question and marketplace plans

bearkeley

Recycles dryer sheets
This should be simple but can't seem to find the answer?...

Interested in a marketplace plan (Eligible for tax credit) but can't figure out why it states on healthcare.gov that it's not HSA compliant. Parameters per IRS rules seem to make it an HDHP so I'd like to open up a vanguard HSA but maybe I'm missing something?

Plan I'm looking at is Anthem 2300 in Virginia....$4600 deductible with 14300 max out of pocket. I'm an HR professional (before I RE) so this should be simple....maybe my brain has decided to retire as well?

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#/plan/results/88380VA0890011/details

Working link to Plan ID: 88380VA0890011.
https://www.valuepenguin.com/health...ealthkeepers-silver-x-pos-2300/88380VA0890011

While ACA compliant plans can have a family MOOP up to $14,300 for 2017, HSA compliant plans can have a family MOOP of no more than $13,100.

Also, the plan has copays before the deductible is met for office visits and drugs, making it not HSA eligible.

Reference: https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandto...es/irs-sets-2017-hsa-contribution-limits.aspx

To view HSA eligible plans on HealthCare.gov, click the green "refine results" button, check the 'HSA eligible' box, then click the green filter results button.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the link leads to the entry page on healthcare.gov.

A Google search brought me to "Anthem health keepers. silver POS". Is this the plan you are referring to? If so, the total OOP exceeds the HSA limit, and it apparently begins paying before the deductible is met. An HSA plan requires you to pay the entire deductible before paying any benefits.

Your link only gets me to the healthcare.gov input your zip code page.

Typically what I found is that the ACA plans that are labeled with "HSA" listed in the name or description when they are compliant. However, be careful if you use cost sharing on a silver plan that is HSA compliant as the effect of cost sharing can make the resulting plan not HSA compliant. This is not obvious to the insured.

From many comments on the ER board, it would seem some locations do not have a HSA compatible insurance product offered. I don't know about your offered plans

edit: I just put in an arbitrary Virginia zip... and found
Anthem HealthKeepers · Anthem HealthKeepers Bronze X 6200 For HSA

I would expect this should be HSA compatible. It does have slightly different max OOP and deductible. There may be others.

Last edited:
"Anthem health keepers. silver POS". - (juvenile chuckle)

-gauss

"Anthem health keepers. silver POS". - (juvenile chuckle)

-gauss
I know. At McDonalds, the closed cash registers display "POS CLOSED". Hard on the appetite. :sick:

Thanks guys. I guess my brain has retired. I didn't realize it states no more than 13,100. Also didn't see the copay before deductible clause anywhere, so thanks for the clarification! Now onto figuring out what our projected MAGI for ACA would be given rental properties.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom