sister end of life

You obviously got the recessive genes in the family for "Git r dun." For which, I'm sure, the rest of the family is very grateful. No wonder the new company wants to pay you good money to stay home and work!

Bigdawg, God Bless you, sister and family members in getting through this difficult time.

Gotta love your attitude BD.. as for your neighbor if I manage to die in my vacation home when I'm 88 year old, I'll be more then happy.

Godspeed to your DS...

Bigdawg, you certainly are a juggling expert with all the different things going on. you have good multi-tasking skills to be able to separate out the various actions and getting things set up or completed. Keep up the good work!

Haha. Yup. DW @ 49 wants to work a few more years so I figure might as well fill a few hours a day with an easy aviation job. Work from home. Paid for 40 but more like 3-4 hours of actual work per day. 6 figures. Working paperwork, pubs and liason with an airframe I started with 31 years ago. Still gives me all kinds of time to get the honey do list completed.

One other issue to throw into the crazy ups and downs: Cousins wife fell in love with the pastor she works for. Another 30 + yr marriage down the tubes. Found this out last night. Crazy times.

well that sounds like a good gig !!! Is it F-18?

Would you like to meet for lunch and beers sometime? See if we might actually know each other from our many years at PAX?

BigDawg - you are amazing how you can handle/juggle the many twists and turns you're facing lately. Kudos to you (and my best wishes) on the wonderful assistance you are providing your sister, nephew and niece.

BD because of all your recent stress, be especially careful to take good care of yourself. The next 6 to 12 months may be a vulnerable time for your body.

God bless you.

BigDawg, a question unrelated to the main thread - do you use any particular to-do or planning software? I'm on a forever quest for the perfection organizational application!

BigDawg, a question unrelated to the main thread - do you use any particular to-do or planning software? I'm on a forever quest for the perfection organizational application!

I do not for the most part. I'm a legal pad/list writing sort of person. I also do my best to get things permanently off my plate so I don't have to do them again. I love the KISS principle.

Monday was the day. Got the call in the morning from my nephew. He was heading over to see his mom. He said her breathing was very labored. He left for 2 hours mid day to catch a nap (he works very hard and weird hours) he woke up from his nap to the phone ringing. It was hospice. She went peacefully. My nephew and I are working ferverishly to dot i's and cross T's. My sadness is for a life that could have been. She was a good person with a loving heart. Just got lost with depression and alcohol. Funeral home picked her up 2 hours after her last breath. Cremation is happening already. Nephew and I are dealing with her car and house. Already have a buyer for the house. My nephew and niece will split the 35k. House is a gut job. When fixed up it is a 150k house. But, will need all of 100k to get it up to snuff.

Thank you all so much for reading about this journey. It helped me to better deal with this whole process. For a bunch of strangers you guys are a great crew. Lots of other ups and downs recently. Since this started in July with my sister my daughter has gotten engaged, bought a house, DW and I went to Roatan scuba diving, 51 yr old Marine friend died of pancreatic cancer, I started new job, DW and I went to St Croix to celebrate the USMC birthday with a bunch of jarheads (and scuba for me). I will take the downs of life because the ups in life are awesome. Ying/yang, balance. IDK.

Thanks again ER crew. You are the best.

My condolences Bigdawg
It’s good to be able to talk out your problems. You have certainly been on an emotional roller coaster. It is sad to see loved ones going down he wrong path, but feel good, that you were there for them.
Semper Fi

I don’t know if it comes in an online version, but look up “5 wishes”. It’s an information packet to help people prepare for end of life decisions.

I don’t know if it comes in an online version, but look up “5 wishes”. It’s an information packet to help people prepare for end of life decisions.

Thank you. I will. DW and I have a POC to help us set up our ageing plan. Our wills are like 20 years old. So much to update. We are both working with the VA on dealing with medical issues. Nothing life or death. Just typical retired military issues.

Next on the end of life schedule is my mother. She turned 90 in OCtober. Might see 91 but I'm guessing no on seeing 92. Her situation is all squared away for the most part.

Bigdawg, I'm sorry about your sister. I lost a sibling years ago. It's painful and I still think of her often. She perished around Christmas and for many years I was always a bit down in December. But, time and the others in our lives heal us. Today I am thankful for my life and health, and even more for the great people around me.

So sorry for your loss. Addiction takes so many lives too soon. My dad lost his sister to alcohol in his 30’s.

Bigdawg,

Sorry for your loss but thank you for the update.

....Had one last conversation with a doctor yesterday before I left. He is thinking 2-3 weeks at best. He and I are actually hoping for a few days. ...

What a horrible thing you and your family have had to go through. You posted that 2-3 weeks on Aug 5... and she died Nov 22/23 so it lasted a lot longer than the doctor thought. I hope she wasn't in pain that whole time but from what you wrote before I suspect that she was. Too long.

Sometimes I think that we treat our pets better than we do people. A friend's mom who had incurable cancer and was in pain ended up taking advantage of the death with dignity law last summer. There are a number of hoops that she needed to jump through... basically designed so greedy heirs can't force an unwarranted death... but once she had jumped through those hoops she was issuesd a prescription, had it filled and then took the meds herself (on of the law's requirements).

Last edited:
Sometimes I think that we treat our pets better than we do people. A friend's mom who had incurable cancer and was in pain ended up taking advantage of the death with dignity law last summer. There are a number of hoops that she needed to jump through... basically designed do greedy heirs can't force an unwarranted death... but once she had jumped through those she was issues a prescription, had it filled and then took the meds herself (on of the law's requirements).

^This. My wife's deputy said goodbye to his dad 10 days ago. He lingered far too long for everyone including himself. He and my sister would have been great candidates for death with dignity. Hopefully more states will change their laws.

Last edited:
Bigdawg--
adding my condolences for you and your family.

My condolences-many wishes for putting this behind you and still be able to enjoy a happy thanksgiving.

Lots to be thankful for in life, and it seems as if your sister is in a better place now.

Aww, Bigdawg...so sorry to hear it. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...

Bigdawg, very sorry for your loss.

Very sorry for your loss. I can totally relate as I also lost my sister to alcoholism last year. So sad.

Glad you got to SCUBA dive in St. Croix. I think the diving there is some of the best in the Caribbean.

Back
Top Bottom