Slomo

gardenfun

Recycles dryer sheets
If you have 15 minutes in your otherwise busy ER life today, check out this video on the New York Times website (Slomo):

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/opinion/slomo.html?hp&rref=opinion

It's about a doctor who realized that his life which revolved around his work, his mansion, and his 12 cylinder BMW, made him feel and act like an a*&^#le.

He chucked it all for a studio on the beach and the spiritual experience of skating. Said he learned from a 93 year old that the secret to long life is to "do what you want to do."

I was reminded about the recent thread about folks maybe feeling like failures in retirement because they are no longer achieving, producing, w*rking, ... And all those silly articles about retirement being bad for your health.

Great quote at the end: "I just hope I can get to the end of my life without turning into an a*&#^le again."

:flowers:

Thanks for sharing. I, too, find the idea of a major life shift intriguing. I bet many who frequent this forum do as well!

We are all odd in our own unique ways....some more than others.
I was having a hard time keeping in mind he is almost blind. When he said "Hi purple" I think that is all he could distinguish. Maybe he is an optimist with a change of lifestyle required from with his vision problems. I wonder if his other senses, including the sense of acceleration, are improved with his sight issues.

Glad you guys liked it!

I see it is one of the most emailed NYTimes articles today. Seems like his philosophy might resonate with a lot of folks.

One of my favorite things about retirement is the ability to take things slowly--everyday things like grocery shopping and (horrors!) washing dishes. What's the rush? ;)

I love it! DW said today, why does it take so long on these remodeling projects:confused:? Ha! I guess I am stuck in 2nd gear! ha! dance!

Back
Top Bottom