Slow days after ER

Moscyn

Full time employment: Posting here.
Been retired for more than 2 years and am enjoying it. Realistically, not everyday is full of activities. I have quite a few slow days in a month. To me a slow day is the THIRD (not the first 2 days) consecutive day when I have no appointments with anyone - I practically am with myself the whole day at home or around the neighborhood. No conversations with anyone other than casual greetings with regulars I bumped into in the neighborhood. I will have the TV, my computer, smartphone, newspaper and books to occupy me including my daily exercise. I am usually appreciative of the peace, routine and serenity of such days but if this runs on for 3 days consecutively, I recognize the 3rd day as a slow day and need to have some interactive activities ( like classes, lunch meet ups, go for a movie, etc) the next day. What's your slow day like?

I take classes through our local Osher Lifelong Institute. They have a "semester" schedule. I tend to find slow days occur between semesters. It might be a combination of no classes, no plays, and no book club meetings all at the same time. My inclination is to either take a day hike, motorcycle ride, or cook. Shopping or reading doesn't fill the time.

I enjoy routines like you. Between coffee, newspaper, walking, workout, 9 holes of walking golf, and some Internet readings I can fritter a whole day quickly and accomplish nothing. I usually visit my GF every night so that takes care of my basic human interactions. I email daily constant communications with my friends who are bored at work. My job over the years turned me into a social recluse. A time or 2 a week with friends for a few hours, and that is all I need.
I am interested in how this ER in winter works out. I have been retired 3 years, but continued with a couple PT jobs that were more winter based. I dropped them both this spring. Maybe I will paint my house a new color during winter. The way I have turned into a piddler, I am sure a one week job can take me the whole winter to complete.

Been retired for more than 2 years and am enjoying it. Realistically, not everyday is full of activities. I have quite a few slow days in a month. To me a slow day is the THIRD (not the first 2 days) consecutive day when I have no appointments with anyone - I practically am with myself the whole day at home or around the neighborhood. No conversations with anyone other than casual greetings with regulars I bumped into in the neighborhood. I will have the TV, my computer, smartphone, newspaper and books to occupy me including my daily exercise. I am usually appreciative of the peace, routine and serenity of such days but if this runs on for 3 days consecutively, I recognize the 3rd day as a slow day and need to have some interactive activities ( like classes, lunch meet ups, go for a movie, etc) the next day. What's your slow day like?

Almost all days are slow days for me, because I love this type of day. Most of my days are just like yours, except that I always get together with Frank for lunch and we spend the afternoon together. On MWF we go to the gym together before lunch. So, I interact with him on a daily basis and with others at the gym or at Weight Watchers or wherever. That is plenty of interactive activities for me. If/when he ever decides to go back to work, I will probably go to the gym every day just to get out of the house.

On a typical "slow day" I will get up, fix some breakfast, do some reading and internet surfing. Then I'll fix lunch. Afterward, I'll go for a walk and maybe take an afternoon nap or listen to the radio or music. Do some tracking and research on my investments. Sometimes I will watch DVDs of a comedy like Seinfeld or Cheers. And there are always things to do around the house. Fix supper, get on-line again, do more reading, etc.

I'm a little like you in that after 3 days, I do feel a need to get out some. Maybe go grocery shopping or to a restaurant. I'm in a meditation group that meets weekly. Also go to church. Between all this and visiting family and friends meets my human interaction needs. For what it is worth, I am a strongly introverted person so I don't "need" as much human interaction as most people.

I have also noticed that after 2 slow days in a row, it is often time to do something about it.

DW and I have 4 parents in the area, so a visit to any one of them will often cure the problem quickly.

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom