Small things and small decisions

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I started a "pet peeve" reply, but found the potential post went on and on. Here is my brief on how small things and small decisions can have greater impact than necessary.

I needed a single CR2025 coin battery to resuscitate a decent Timex watch before giving it away. A quick search showed I could purchase 5 batteries for $5 with free shipping through Amazon.

For a moment I thought of the local CVS or Riteaid for the required batttery purchase. What came to mind was the unknown cost and the negative experiences I've had recently shopping at bricks and mortar. And it would require a short ride to the store, leaving pollutants and whatever in my wake...

Feeling gulity about that small cardboard piece of just 5 coin batteries sitting in a too-large shipping box, I also ordered cans of auto battery cleaning stuff that was needed for a different task.

Got two delivered packages anyway, with minor savings in efficiency for the driver who could walk two smaller packages to my front stoop. The larger package contaned just the 1/2 ounce battery card. The lithium coin batteries are shipped alone, with their own warning label. The warning label, being quite large (size of typical shipping label), required a box 2x's the height of that required for box with two cans of aerosol cleaner.

"There Oughta' Be a Law!" was a comic strip back in the day. Of course there *IS* now a law at work which brings additional waste into the stream, but also protects the shippers from possible explosion.

I now think, "There Oughta' Be a Better Law!"
:angel:

The thing with Amazon, is your two products are probably shipping from 2 of their 500+ warehouses. It would take them more effort to co-mingle them before shipping (and just as much energy/waste, at the cost of speed-to-customer) to reroute them internally. They like to spread stuff around, but not every warehouse has every item.

So Billy in warehouse 132 boxes up your batteries, and Joey in warehouse 278 boxes up your cleaner. And yes there are different laws about how batteries can ship, and what the carriers require for them, forcing different logistics. Even if they were in the same location, robots pull stuff from the shelves and those could be a half mile apart, and on 2 different robots.

Oh and Billy gets about 12 seconds to box each order, so he grabs the best box he can find in 3 seconds and just goes with it.

It's a lot more complicated than just putting everything in one shipment, and often a lot faster and cheaper to ship separately than force things together. There are videos online showing how their fulfillment centers work and it's pretty interesting to watch.

Aerides, thank you for pointing out several things I did not.

My point, which I may have boggled, is that the Lithium batteries must ship in a separate box, no matter how many things I order. I did not take that into account in my original decision.

As an aside, I actually met a "Billy" a few times at family gatherings. It is interesting to hear his stories about what happens in Amazon wearhouse(s). It's high pressure for sure.

It works the other way too. I recently placed three orders from Amazon in fairly quick succession. I ordered some woodworking supplies, then the next day my wife suddenly needed some cables to setup her home office, then I had to order something else the following day. Like you, I expected three oversized boxes coming from multiple warehouses.

Instead, all three orders arrived in a single small-ish box. It rarely happens that way, usually a single order comes in three oversized boxes, but it was nice to see.

I just roll with it.

I was under the free shipping on Amazon the other day, so tossed a $4 thing that I'd use anyway onto the order. It shipped separately. There's no way they made money on it, but it's not my problem.

Since I sell random cr*p on eBay, I save most envelopes, boxes, and packing material. I'll cull it when it exceeds allotted space, but do get a second use out of much of it.

Oh and Billy gets about 12 seconds to box each order, so he grabs the best box he can find in 3 seconds and just goes with it.

Amazon picking instructions tell the warehouse person what box and packing material to use for each shipment. I'd hope they have time to get the specified materials.

Aerides, thank you for pointing out several things I did not.

My point, which I may have boggled, is that the Lithium batteries must ship in a separate box, no matter how many things I order. I did not take that into account in my original decision.

As an aside, I actually met a "Billy" a few times at family gatherings. It is interesting to hear his stories about what happens in Amazon wearhouse(s). It's high pressure for sure.

I find random items that are designed "special handling" Walgreens seems to have quite a few like that.. sometimes its "ground transport only" as well. Shaving cream for one things and maybe nail polish, odd things like that.

UN3090 label below. This is what Amazon placed on the side of the box. I'm assuming it can't wrap two sides, therefore the larger box required for something smaller than an index card, and about .25 inch thick.

Attachments

• UN3090_label.jpg
    UN3090_label.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 18
I shake my head when I order 2 items and they ask me if they can combine the shipment causing a couple of days' delay in receiving same. I say sure, less stuff for the landfill. I have yet to receive these in 1 box :facepalm:. It's always 2. And this has happened when I've ordered 2 pair of the exact same shoes, only difference is color

I shake my head when I order 2 items and they ask me if they can combine the shipment causing a couple of days' delay in receiving same. I say sure, less stuff for the landfill. I have yet to receive these in 1 box :facepalm:. It's always 2. And this has happened when I've ordered 2 pair of the exact same shoes, only difference is color

They used to give you free video dollars for agreeing to delay,I really miss that...:(

Got a small button battery for my thermometer. I tried the same thing, order something else.

Nope, the tiny battery came in the big box with the label. Glad I'm not the only one!

I recently bought a button cell USB battery charger that charges some rechargeable button sized batteries. Pretty nifty. Got a rechargeable button battery now for a digital caliper and also a button batter tester.

Back
Top Bottom