Snowbirds questions

pugmom

Recycles dryer sheets
DH and I have owned two homes for quite a long time. Our "second" home (in southern New England) is in a very safe place, and we used to live only 2 hours away.

Now however, we are in Florida and cannot get to either one quickly if something goes wrong.

We have good neighbors but do not really want to ask them to act as a property manager.

So to those of you with 2nd homes: do you utilize a property manager?

A second question: do you use a lockbox for your key(s)? If so what brand/type would you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most snowbirds have someone who checks in on their vacant place every once in a while when they are away and can check in on it as/if needed. We also monitor our places via the internet. I have 2 Blink cameras at our condo and 4 at our summer home that allow me to monitor, check the temperature and send me a video clip if it senses motion.

I also turn the water off at the main water shutoff when we are gone.

I have some friends and neighbors who can check on the place in a pinch.

We have a kepad lock and I use separate codes for us and for others and occasionally change the code that I give out to others.

Mom and Dad were snowbirds for 20 years before ending it about 5 years ago. Us kids lived near the Pennsylvania home and had keys so we would check on it every couple weeks. Dad, of course, had it set up for winter -- water off, pipes drained, heat on low, etc.

The Florida home was pretty much locked up tight during the summers with the AC on at 80 degrees. Water turned off. Neighbors in the community had a key to get in if needed, but rarely did. Only 1 time did my parents notice a spike in the electricity bill which indicated the AC unit was running too much, so they drove down to Florida after a neighbor went inside to verify the AC wasn't working properly.

That was their only real issue in all those years.

In today's world, as with the above poster, I would also have both places outfitted with monitoring cameras and internet-based thermostats.

When we are away:
  • I forward the mail.
  • Turn off the water for the house.
  • If it's warm and we will be back before Winter, I turn water tank to vacation mode, turn off the heat and set the A/C to a high value ~85 (maybe I could turn it totally off, as my parents had no A/C ? ).
  • Have the low cost alarm system monitored (simplisafe)
  • Have my low cost cameras set up (wyze and eufy) have 5 and will get a few more.
  • Leave the key with a person I trust, but it's really just for emergency and not checking house.

I have found with the camera's , that when away I will check every couple of days even if no alert is sent. Checking shows me the power is on and nobody has been in the house as there would be some signs, like doors in different position or stuff moved.

Our main home is in Pennsylvania and our sons and their families live close by and can check it when we’re away. We also have cameras and good neighbors. In a pinch I can give them a code to get in.
Water is turned off and heat turned down, and I can monitor/change the temperature on my iPhone. We also have a natural gas backup whole house generator.
Our Jersey Shore home is set up the same except for the backup generator. Our year round neighbors have our phone number if anything unusual happens.
Our Florida condo is in a secure building and security has a key if needed. We have hurricane windows and shutters for double protection since it’s right on the water. We shut the water off and turn the a/c to 76. My Florida based SIL uses it a few times per year when we’re not there too.

Can’t add much to the previous posts, which are all well informed. One additional thing, however, is homeowners insurance. Some policies cover homes that are lived in and limit coverage for vacant homes. We have someone stop by at least once every 3 weeks, and keep records of the visits.

Thanks to all... mostly what we do, too, but glad to hear from others.

Our condo insurance requires that someone check the home every 2 weeks if vacant. This is mainly to mitigate potential water damage as leaks from inside the walls or above can be devastating if not detected on a timely basis.

Many neighbors in Palm Springs who leave their homes vacant for 4-6 months use property management services to come by and check every couple of weeks.

Unusual solution, but you can consider renting for "24/7" peace of mind.
An elderly relative is a "reverse snowbird". A NE homeowner/snowbird charges them a very reasonable rent while they are away. The snowbird prefers not to shut down their house, and enjoys the peace of mind having someone there. My relative does shut down their house for the winter (in a remote location) and prefers staying near family vs going south.

Great arrangement for both for several years -both parties very content. This follows a similar arrangement with the snowbirds' neighbor that ended when they sold their house.

As our winter stays lengthen the house is becoming a burden so we're considering selling it and renting. But we also have a summer cottage that we spend time at so it's not like we'd be stuck in an apartment all summer.

As our winter stays lengthen the house is becoming a burden so we're considering selling it and renting. But we also have a summer cottage that we spend time at so it's not like we'd be stuck in an apartment all summer.
Music Lover,
I'm in the same situation. Thinking about a townhome, instead of apartment.
Struggling with the idea of selling my long time home.
I have an old cabin too, so too many places to maintain and deal with.
Take care,. JP

Music Lover,
I'm in the same situation. Thinking about a townhome, instead of apartment.
Struggling with the idea of selling my long time home.
I have an old cabin too, so too many places to maintain and deal with.
Take care,. JP

We've only had the cabin for a year and a half and I'm discovering that two places is one too many. That's no surprise....I expected that to happen eventually but thought it would take several years.

The cabin is 3 season but I'll probably winterize it, not for full time living but to extend the season a bit on either end.

We've owned a home in the Western North Carolina mountains for the past 5 years that we frequent for 5 months (summer) of the year.

We do not worry about it and so far, no issues when we are not there.

We are meticulous about getting the home ready to leave (major checklists of stuff we do so here is piece of mind when we lock it up and go). No cameras. No alarms. No-one to check on it.

We have insurance on the place.

All good so far and then really, so what if something happens?

And if something does go wrong, it is all fixable.

Back
Top Bottom