So I am thinking about a new fancy watch...

I'm wearing a Citizen's EcoDrive watch that I got as a freebie for going on a Norwegian Cruise. It has some kind of crystal that doesn't scratch, and it looks like new.

It has no batteries, and I honestly have no idea how the thing runs year after year. Never loses a second either.

I can find more enjoyable purchases than a fancy watch.

Go for it, but be prudent in what you spend.

I'm on my second Rolex Submariner (both stainless/black) since 1985. Traded the old one a few years back and the new models are much better. Still have the late wife's Lady Datejust from 1985. That one and my newer Sub are going to the kids when they graduate college in 2 and 6 years. They will be overhauled/refreshed before handing over.

A quality mechanical watch is a nice heirloom.

I have purchased jewelry from a very reputable used-jewelry seller who specializes in fabulous used watches (totally reconditioned, of course). The selection would make your brain spin. Naturally the prices are well below retail.

I use my phone instead of a watch. But I can PM you a link to the reseller, if you like.

some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

I'll probably never be in a position to "blow that dough", so I can't even imagine spending that kind of money on a watch. Most people I know don't even wear watches anymore, they just use their cell phones. Since I rarely carry my cell phone with me, that's not really an option.

I'm a digital watch guy. A few decades ago I could buy good quality digital watches with real metal bands and whatnot. Ironically, it's almost impossible to find a well made quality digital watch these days (i.e. from a jewelry store). That said, I tend to be hard on watches. They get banged up working on the cars or doing home improvement projects. They get submerged in water and mud when hiking or swimming. So I don't really want to spend a lot of money on them.

I have no interest in a "smart watch". I just want to know the time, date, and day of the week. I had a cheap Timex watch that served me OK, but the display is hard to see and the tiny date is impossible to read. I'm currently using a Casio watch that cost me $15-20 and am quite happy with it. I wish it had a better band, but I keep the Timex watch around when I know I'll be abusing it.

I have too much $$$ on watches so I’d support you OP. The thing is with Covid just like a lot of things prices for some desirable watches have gone through the roof. Any stainless steel sport model from Rolex, PP and AP are multiple of their MSRP. For example, a white dial Rolex Daytona is now asking around $35-36k if you can find any. Official MSRP in the teens. If you go to any Rolex AD you’ll find mainly two tone, gold or undesirable models in stock. You can’t get a stainless steel sport model Rolex from a Rolex AD unless you’re a regular and on their “wait list” or you buy a bunch of expensive watches at the same time. Rolex, PP and AP shortage has been going on for at least 2 years but it’s been getting a lot worse since the beginning of this year. I bought my Rolex BLNR for about $8,500 5 years ago and I can easily sell it for $13-14k today. Hence the investment part of it. I don’t subscribe to buying a watch as an investment tho. It’s more like a byproduct if you flip your watch a lot. Get what you like and can afford.

First you need to decide if you want a dress watch, dive watch, chrono, pilot first. Then decide the size that fits your wrist the best. Then decide on the material (stainless steel, two tone, gold, ceramic, black pvd, etc). Then choose the brand and model that fit what you like within your budget. Do some research on app like watchrecon or Chrono24.

Right now, the brands that are actually available at AD and jewelers are Breitling, IWC, Omega and to some extent some Tudor models. If you’re into big watches, Panerai is available.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

See, it only took 25 comments to finds a "watch-head"! I'm only kicking tires right now and will do my homework before I consider dropping the dough. Right now, I am digging the rose gold finish with a leather band, thinking a more classical look that can dress up/down. SIL's research has me looking so far at A. Lange & Söhne, Glashutte, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, Jaeger-leCoultre, Blancpain, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, F.P. Journe... I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, looking for something different. I am not a bling guy either, but can appreciate the craftsmanship/engineering that goes into some of these watches I have admired from afar. As you said, any investment is just a lucky bi-product, not the driver. This by no means is about "telling time" or justifying how many days per week I will wear it, but really seeing if I can get over the frugal mentality to BTD. And yes, at a min, whatever watch I do decide to pursue, I will shop the heck out of to at least appease myself "I got the best deal!". I need to spend some time looking at watches at lower price points to further appreciate the differences. My original thought was I could find one I liked for around $10K until I saw some of the beauties noted above.

I'm a sucker for a good looking woman!:cool:

I have both a Rolex and an Apple Watch. The Rolex was about $7,500 eight or nine years ago. The Apple Watch is stainless steel and I wear it more as an emergency device with the capability to detect a fall and automatically call 911.
I was wearing the Rolex once on a trip to Niagara Falls, and a guy in a ticket booth for the Maid if the Mist said “nice watch” as I was paying him. It kind of sent a chill through me that he so easy recognized the watch. I think twice about where I’m going before I put it on now.

If I had 10X my current assets, I would get a vintage Patek Phillipe Calatrava. But since I don't, I'll stick with my Timex Expedition that I got for $7 at Goodwill.........

Gumby, to be watch-head you have to own several watches and pay full retail!. As an example, I own 3 Timex Expeditions. All were purchased at full price. In fact, price was never a factor in my decision. Its all about the watch. I guess we could call your watch a "starter" collection. :D

DawgMan, you are brave. I have always thought of the forum members as "A buy the timex invest the difference kind of crowd". Enjoy your new watch!

Last edited:
Haven't worn a watch in retirement, but go for it.

I do not much need a watch for purposes of my daily schedule, but I do find it quite helpful when I water my plants or cook things on the grill.

I use my fitbit watch for most of this. I don't take my phone along on walks or runs, or around with me when I'm gardening, but I do often look at my fitbit for time.

While I know a lot less of us use watches these days - and that's not just the ER crowd - I think you could inject any "expensive not necessary but I really want one and I can afford it" into the OP's question.

I had 3 Rolexes when I was w@*king. When I retired I still wanted to keep them as I really did like and enjoy them. After 2 years of retirement I found that I NEVER wear a watch anymore, let alone 3. So I gave in and Sold all three. BTW, I made (a little) money on each one. I was in withdrawal for about a week or so, I missed looking at them in their Auto winder. So, I sold the Auto Winder too, and it has all worn off now, I do not even think about them anymore.

My $80 Casio recharges itself with sunlight, uses the Atomic clock to set the time automatically and never needs maintenance. A Rolex can't do any of that...:)

Last edited:
I use my fitbit watch for most of this. I don't take my phone along on walks or runs, or around with me when I'm gardening, but I do often look at my fitbit for time.

This is what I do. I went from a Fitbit Versa to a Charge 4 specifically for its built-in GPS. The Versa required tethering to a phone.

Go for it! You've successfully made your case to me!

1) You can afford it
2) It will bring you a lot of pleasure as a collector and appreciator (you've said you are a "watch-head."
3) You have at least one family member enjoying the fun of shopping together with you. And the watch sellers will probably make it a fun buying experience.
4) And you have it firmly collected in your head in the proper place - Blow that Dough. That is, you know what you are doing.

Watches aren't my thing, but you seem the ideal person to make such a purchase!

I like watches too...

Attachments

• Breitling.jpg
    Breitling.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Omega.jpg
    Omega.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 53
See, it only took 25 comments to finds a "watch-head"! I'm only kicking tires right now and will do my homework before I consider dropping the dough. Right now, I am digging the rose gold finish with a leather band, thinking a more classical look that can dress up/down. SIL's research has me looking so far at A. Lange & Söhne, Glashutte, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, Jaeger-leCoultre, Blancpain, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, F.P. Journe... I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, looking for something different. I am not a bling guy either, but can appreciate the craftsmanship/engineering that goes into some of these watches I have admired from afar. As you said, any investment is just a lucky bi-product, not the driver. This by no means is about "telling time" or justifying how many days per week I will wear it, but really seeing if I can get over the frugal mentality to BTD. And yes, at a min, whatever watch I do decide to pursue, I will shop the heck out of to at least appease myself "I got the best deal!". I need to spend some time looking at watches at lower price points to further appreciate the differences. My original thought was I could find one I liked for around $10K until I saw some of the beauties noted above.

I'm a sucker for a good looking woman!:cool:

Excellent choices…one brand in that group I didn’t see is H Moser, maybe because they don’t really have a lot of option in rose gold..I love ALS but I feel like if you’re looking at both ALS and GO, GO is the better value..I love GO panomatic lunar or panoreserve..happy hunting…most WIS aka watch heads enjoy the hunt more or at least as much as the experience of owning the watch…

I think you should BTD and buy what you want. I personally love my Apple Watch and recently got rid of most of my others except for a Movado I wore for years. But obviously I’m not a “watch head” so I can’t properly appreciate the luxury watches.

I was fascinated by watches as a little kid. Only thing I ever wanted (well, besides, the Red Rider 200 shot Range Model air rifle with the compass in the stock) was a "real" watch. We were poor and ca. 2nd grade dad got me probably the cheapest wrist watch made at the time. It only had 4 roman numerals on it. I didn't even know what they meant but figured out they must be equivalent to 12, 3, 6 and 9 since that was their location on the dial. The watch lasted about 2 weeks in this kid's hands (er, on his wrist - probably water from washing up for supper.)

I eventually grew out of the wrist watch phase and bought a cheap one for personal use in HS and Univ. FF to Megacorp days. By then, the new "digital" technology was coming into favor. $100 was a lot for an everyday wearer, so I waited until the march of technology meant every $5000 watch from the Swiss was obsolete and a $29.95 K-mart special would run rings around the mechanical ones.

Finally, after years, I found myself again fascinated by the expensive watches in the slick adds in Forbes or other (almost) coffee-table magazines. I'd look at every add and read about the "craftsmanship" how "fine" the watch was, the 14t gold case, the hand-crafted fine Corinthian - oops, wrong ad - leather band, the "thinness" of the watch, the ability to keep time to 1/1000 second per day - on and on. I coveted these "time pieces" but could never get past the fact that my K-mart clunker could do everything these (now digital) watches could do for 1% the cost.

Sadly, I never indulged but I still like the ads. If I ever DID buy a "good" watch, I'd want an "old" one - maybe even a "real" watch - you know, the ones that had wheels and cogs and "jewels" and actually ticked because they actually moved. Probably won't happen, but I envy OP the remaining fascination with a thing of beauty that was once a dream of mine. Enjoy and remember that YMMV.

Last edited:
Sadly, I never indulged but I still like the ads.

Same here. I've never been tempted to buy an expensive watch, but I have to admit the magazine ads are always superbly well done (as are the watches, I'm sure). I'm always amused when we're in Switzerland, since it seems as if there is a watch store on every block. It's an astounding craft, and I've read that there are watches that can take a year or more to build, hence the astronomical price tags.

One of my best friends had a different attitude, and always lusted after a great Rolex. He bought one as soon as he could afford it (some time in his 30s) and he loved that watch more than any car he ever owned.

I always just had a cheap watch on my wrist, but when I finally retired completely, 20 years ago, I stopped wearing one at all. Having the time on my phone was good enough.

Then Apple did what they always do: invented something that you never wanted but suddenly couldn't live without.

I've been wearing an Apple Watch since 2016, currently on the version 6, and I can't imagine being without it. Just absolutely incredible to me what this little thing can do, and I use it constantly. In fact, I'm perfectly comfortable leaving my iPhone at home because of all the capabilities of the watch (I have the model with cellular service). Dick Tracy, eat your heart out!

Fitbit Versa 2 coupled to a Motorola Power G. "The smart retirement package for an active old dog."

I'd love to have a nice Rolex but I would probably not wear it enough to justify the cost. But each to his own liking.

If I decided to blow $35K, I'd use that on a nice clean used Corvette.

I've been wearing an Apple Watch since 2016, currently on the version 6, and I can't imagine being without it. Just absolutely incredible to me what this little thing can do, and I use it constantly. In fact, I'm perfectly comfortable leaving my iPhone at home because of all the capabilities of the watch (I have the model with cellular service). Dick Tracy, eat your heart out!

I went for more than 20 years without wearing a watch. When I retired I thought it would be nice to buy a high end watch like the OP is looking for. I visited all the high end stores trying to learn more about them. Then on my way out, I stopped by the Apple store and had a chance to play with the original Apple Watch. I knew as soon as I picked it up that was the watch for me.

But comparing an Apple Watch to a Rolex is apples and oranges. A Rolex is a fine piece of jewelry. An Apple Watch is a computer that fits on your wrist. The only thing they have in common is they both sit on your wrist and they both can tell you what time it is. Beyond that they have nothing in common.

But now that I’ve experienced having a computer on my wrist, I could never go back to an analog watch. It would drive me nuts.

Do what makes you happy.

Some of these folks who “can’t see it” probably have other things they’re inclined to BTD on - houses, cars, travel/vacations, jewelry, boats, planes, etc. Though I briefly considered an $8K Rolex (30 yo price), my best watch was a $1200 Rado (30 yo price), and that was partly for business purposes. My boss wore a $20K Patek Phillipe (20 yo price).

But I had sailboats from 26’ to 35’ (all bought new) and never hesitated, and never asked anyone else their opinion.

Again, do what makes you happy!

Last edited:
If you like fancy things, and can afford them, better get them while you're still in shape to enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom