So Just What Is A Good Neighborhood? And What Makes A Neighborhood Bad

In San Franicsco, the good and rich neighborhood have a much higher crime rate for burlgary and theft.

That's because the crimes are much more highly to be reported in the rich neighborhood. And thieves like to rob the richs.

Burlgary and theft in Beverly Hill is also quite high compared to the poor areas of LA.

In San Franicsco, the good and rich neighborhood have a much higher crime rate for burlgary and theft.

That's because the crimes are much more highly to be reported in the rich neighborhood. And thieves like to rob the richs.

Burglary and theft in Beverly Hill is also quite high compared to the poor areas of LA.
I'd sure like to see some evidence for this. It is definitely a cute and appealing theory, but the only places I have ever been burgled were in marginal neighborhoods.

Usually in a crappy neighborhood if it is not nailed down, it is gone.

Ha

While Beverly Hills property crime rate is below the US average...it's still quite high.

Crime in Beverly Hills, California (CA): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics

94123, Marina district

94134 Bayshore(next to housing projects and not a place you want to live close to)

https://www.crimereports.com/

Marina district reported more crimes...but I know I would feel much safer in the Marina district than in Bayshore...sure I'll get robbed and have my car stolen and my apartment burglarized...but I still feel safer than livign in Bayshore

I'd sure like to see some evidence for this. It is definitely a cute and appealing theory, but the only places I have ever been burgled were in marginal neighborhoods.

Usually in a crappy neighborhood if it is not nailed down, it is gone.

Ha

My experience is that while the organized criminal house robbing gangs do go for the richer areas, it's the teenager down the street door robbing you, regardless of the wealth of the area. I think it depends upon proximity. I live in a lower middle class neighborhood (we went for the LBYM) surrounded by upper middle class and rich neighborhoods. So I expect the teenager down the street to go over there, because it's close.

My experience is that while the organized criminal house robbing gangs do go for the richer areas, it's the teenager down the street door robbing you, regardless of the wealth of the area. I think it depends upon proximity. I live in a lower middle class neighborhood (we went for the LBYM) surrounded by upper middle class and rich neighborhoods. So I expect the teenager down the street to go over there, because it's close.

I think your experience is representative.
Background checks should be required before anyone is allowed to have a teenager.

(Just kidding... sort of.):)

Proximity definitely has that effect! When a friend of mine went off to college, people were happy to get into the shoddy student housing building next to the rich kid housing complex, because nothing ever got stolen from them when there was such a juicy prospect just next door.

I wouldn't feel safe walking in any urban, rural or suburban neighborhood alone after dark no matter how safe it is perceived if there aren't other people doing the same thing.

I agree. There's no point in making yourself an easy target.

We've lived in a number of different places over the years. When we were just out of college, just having our own apartment was the important thing!:cool: We had 3 apartments in the city (area of ~250K people). Our first house was in the best neighborhood of all and that's where our house was robbed. Now we live on 6 acres, close enough to civilization, but far enough away from the world.

Have to say, we've always tended to keep to ourselves and want neighbors to leave us alone. Want to be able to sit outside with no one bothering me; walk the dog and have a park to take him to so he can run. Need to be within an hour of good medical center and cheap groceries (a la Walmart). Don't want to hear the traffic (trains are OK, just not traffic!)

We're going to be looking for a new place to live in the next couple of years. Arthritic joints need warmer weather and sunshine. I'm going to keep this posting handy. Thanks for the opportunity to put "pen to paper"! :)

Good neighbors = Lots of space (many acres) and good fences between us.

Bad neighbors = require a lot more space, better fences and preferably at least one good neighbor between us.:)

Back
Top Bottom