Social Security "Extra Protection"

rk911

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I saw a notice when I logged into my SS account asking if I wanted to implement "extra security" on my account. There was an explanation on how to add this "extra security" but nothing about what the extra security entails. We already have 2FA on both of our accounts.

Questions for anyone who has added this "extra security"...

• What Is It?
  • How does it affect or complicate the login process?
  • Can it be removed at any time?

Thanks.

SS Extra protection

I logged in but didn't see the request. Just the normal 2FA (in my case an email with code). So not sure?

I did see this on the AARP site explaining how to signup but it seems to apply when signing up? So not sure exactly what it means??

If You Want Extra Security

We offer you the choice to add extra security when you create an online account. In the past, we told you Social Security would never ask for your credit card number or other financial information. We have changed our policy for this one service. Now, we may ask you for the last eight digits of your Visa, Mastercard, or Discover credit card, or some other financial information. Once you give us this additional information, we will send you a letter in the mail in five to 10 business days. You will need this letter to complete the voluntary process to add extra security.

You can upgrade to extra security at any time. Adding extra security does not change the way that you sign in to your account. You must still sign in with your username, password, and a unique security code we will provide each time you sign in.

I’ve not seen a prompt for extra security. I have the 2FA with a code sent to my email. I don’t have a US phone number for texts to use with SS but my email has 2FA using an authentication app.

I dont understand how the”extra security process” provides any benefit. You hive them a partial credit card number and they send you a letter to complete the signup. Not sure exactly how this helps.

For SSA I use Login.gov, that lets me use a YubiKey for 2FA. After the facial requirement on IRS.gov was poop pooped, it was suggested that the IRS use Login.gov. Would like to see this happen, as I believe YubiKey is more secure than my phone/email.

I dont understand how the”extra security process” provides any benefit. You hive them a partial credit card number and they send you a letter to complete the signup. Not sure exactly how this helps.

i think that's just a 1-time validation of who you are. It would be nice if SS would state just what this "extra security" is and how it works. :facepalm:

I used their website when I first applied for benefits and have not found the need to log in since. What am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom