Solar & Alternative Energy ETFs

GreenEggs

Recycles dryer sheets
After the Covid-19 crash last Spring I began looking around at other options besides VTI "whole market" type funds that I had most of my investment in.

I remembered reading about TAN in Kiplinger saying it had gained about 76% the past year, which at the time I had mixed feelings about. I thought it "must be really risky", and I also thought "damn some lucky folks made a killing". I figured I'd missed out, and hindsight isn't worth much.

Anyway, the crash hit & I noticed TAN had fallen to about $25 per share. I wanted to buy, but was afraid of the "W" curve that never came. Covid-19 was still huge & Summer came and I just kept watching it go up & up.

Finally pulled the trigger in early August, buying my first shares on 8/05 for $50.83, and have bought 5 more times since. It's up 131% since 8/05. (it's up over 300% since I began following it in April :facepalm:)

I recently realized that Invesco has another solar ETF called PBW which has had similar gains. I started buying it on 12/09 and it's already up almost 42% today 1/26.

I'm curious if any of you have these ETFs or other alternative energy EFTs? I realize that it's a sector and not diversified, but it's hard to see any other sector that we'll be embracing any more than clean energy for quite a while.

I'm into TAN. I've had DQ (#7 holding in TAN) on my watchlist for months. I put an order in for it at $40 back in December, didn't get it. Now it's up to over $100.

I've also got ICLN, FAN, and NEXTX on my watchlists.

I bought OPTT at $2.90 and sold it a few weeks later at $4.25. This is an individual stock that generates electricity from ocean waves.

ICLN is the one I decided on for me...entered not too long after November's election.

ICLN is the one I decided on for me...entered not too long after November's election.
I picked up some in December. Been writing covered calls on it. Nice premiums.

I picked up some in December. Been writing covered calls on it. Nice premiums.

Thanks I'll check those out too. I like using covered calls to create synthetic dividends.

Green energy's getting blamed for the problems in TX. This morning was a good time to buy Solar funds. My PBW & TAN holdings took a big hit at the opening this morning, but has already recovered about $50K in the past hour.

Green energy's getting blamed for the problems in TX.

I saw that. I wonder how that is possible when 70% of TX energy comes from natural gas, oil, and coal and 67% of the power outages were in areas that use those commodities.

I saw that. I wonder how that is possible when 70% of TX energy comes from natural gas, oil, and coal and 67% of the power outages were in areas that use those commodities.
Winter is time for maintenance due to lower consumption, summer time is when most electricity is used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom