Sore knee. Work it or rest it?

Another reason to see a doc sooner than later: A couple of years ago DH had a pain in his calf that he believed resulted from landing funny on one foot going down a step. Nothing major, but 2 weeks later still hurt. Doc told him to rest and take OTC pain meds.

Fast forward 6 weeks later he had a fever and trouble breathing, and wound up in the ER with a pulmonary embolism. Turned out the minor nagging pain in his leg had been from blood clots that formed at the location of the injury, and it was basically a ticking time bomb until it reached his lungs.

Yes, clots are a real possibility, and a long nagging pain can result from it.

Listen to your body and yes, getting it checked out is always better.

I had similar a month or two ago, and quadriceps, hamstring, gastrocnemius, and ITB stretches 3x30 seconds 2 or 3 times a day took care of the pain. Warm up, maybe walk 5 minutes, and then stretch before continuing. Never stretch through pain, just a good pulling stretch. You can Google or YouTube the stretches.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Glad to see you intend to seek expert advice sooner rather than later.

There is a big range between keeping the exact same routine - and making accommodations to allow for healing/ relief (as you saw from your observation of the grade difference).

My physical therapist wife might disagree, but in general I'd be one to say that if a pain/injury is from movement, ease back on the movement. If it's from inactivity, start moving. Also, as you noticed with the sidewalk & grade, adjusting what/where/how you're doing an activity can also help. This is the extent of my medical know-how. For better results, consult a professional. :)

Another reason to see a doc sooner than later: A couple of years ago DH had a pain in his calf that he believed resulted from landing funny on one foot going down a step. Nothing major, but 2 weeks later still hurt. Doc told him to rest and take OTC pain meds.

Fast forward 6 weeks later he had a fever and trouble breathing, and wound up in the ER with a pulmonary embolism. Turned out the minor nagging pain in his leg had been from blood clots that formed at the location of the injury, and it was basically a ticking time bomb until it reached his lungs.

Wow! [emoji50]. I’m glad they figured out what was happening.

I heard a crack from my right knee while shoveling, two months ago. No pain at first, but next day it was hurting. Now it is still not 'healed'. Seems to be getting better slowly. I sure hope it doesn't bug me forever. Hurts when getting up from sitting or lying down, but feels fine after 10 seconds of walking. Go figure: rest it and it hurts, use it and it feels fine. OK, Whatever, lol.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

I had a similar out of the blue knee issue early in the year. Could hardly walk on it and I did nothing to cause the injury. I tried everything and finally settled on the RICE treatment. The biggest part was the compression. I bought a $15 neoprene sleeve that had Velcro straps and I really cranked down on the compression. Within two weeks of using the brace the pain was gone. It never returned.

Last edited:
I did buy a knee sleeve, but no straps on it. I think it helps me to not notice the minor pain as much somehow. The internet says compression device on the knee, like a sleeve or brace, helps the knee by warming it up, and increasing blood flow. The increased blood flow is supposed to decrease inflammation. Also the compressing of everything in the knee area is supposed to reduce strain somehow.

I did buy a knee sleeve, but no straps on it. I think it helps me to not notice the minor pain as much somehow. The internet says compression device on the knee, like a sleeve or brace, helps the knee by warming it up, and increasing blood flow. The increased blood flow is supposed to decrease inflammation. Also the compressing of everything in the knee area is supposed to reduce strain somehow.

I bought mine at Walmart. It just wraps around the knee, but then you can increase the tension with the straps. The tighter I wore it, the better the knee felt. $15 if I remember right. I wore it all day, sometimes at night too. I think it made the difference.

^^^^ OP here. Yes, Street, I’m 57 and have always been blessed with relatively very good health. However, this year has been one of, “Oh, what now?”
"Oh what now?" began for me at age 67, all of a sudden :eek:. 67 years without any issues whatsoever, and then it seemed to be one thing after another, though fortunately all minor so far. And more often than not I don't know the cause... :facepalm:

I injured my knee in a fall a couple of months ago. X-ray was fine as was blood flow (no clots.) Advised to RICE. It is slowly coming around. I can't believe how long it takes. YMMV

I've come to the conclusion it takes a lot longer to bounce back from injuries as we age. It's much harder for me to figure out when I'm hurt, and when it's just age. I tolerate aches and pains for months now unless they're increasing before bothering a doctor.

If someone here has a good way to know when it's an injury and not, I'd love to learn.

Amen! I'm also 69 and have a similar confusion. Both my wife and I have enjoyed going to Planet Fitness for years. You felt so good afterwards. Now "aches" have been popping up for no reason. Backed off some Pilates, aerobic, and weight machines trying to find the cause. Went through the medical system, but just feel like a senior complaining. No solution.

I've also come to the same conclusion it takes a lot longer to bounce back from injuries as we age. I just discovered that my skin is a lot thinner and bruises and open wounds are more common. Hey, we made it to 69!

Find a good ortho PT. Most knee pains of the nature you've described can be treated quite successfully via conservative methods.

OP here. Thanks again for all the advice and personal experiences. I’m headed for a long trip and want a temporary solution before I can get in to see a doc.

I got this highly-rated knee brace for $5 on Amazon and tried it out yesterday on my regular 3.8 mile walk, while alternating left and right sidewalks to even out the differing grades. No soreness today so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 40
Yup that sort of thing will help. My other little mantra on steps and stairs - the weak knee should "Lead Down, Follow Up"

After a couple weeks, 400 miles from home rehabbing my daughters new home, my knee swelled up. I continued working a few more days and finally said, I need to go home and get this swelling taken care of. I bought an over the count diuretic and and spent 3 days and nights with my leg elevated. The swelling went down, after that it was harder to walk on, I hobbled for three weeks before seeing on orthopedist. An xray showed a torn meniscus, doc said, I can take the torn piece out, but there is no evidence the knee does any better after such a removal. He gave me a steroid shot, which did help. Today I still have some occasional pain and clicking going on.

btw, I had a shoulder problem the steroid shot he put in my shoulder, made it hurt more for about 8 days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After a couple weeks, 400 miles from home rehabbing my daughters new home, my knee swelled up. I continued working a few more days and finally said, I need to go home and get this swelling taken care of. I bought an over the count diuretic and and spent 3 days and nights with my leg elevated. The swelling went down, after that it was harder to walk on, I hobbled for three weeks before seeing on orthopedist. An xray showed a torn meniscus, doc said, I can take the torn piece out, but there is no evidence the knee does any better after such a removal. He gave me a steroid shot, which did help. Today I still have some occasional pain and clicking going on.

btw, I had a shoulder problem the steroid shot he put in my shoulder, made it hurt more for about 8 days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep, my torn Meniscus repair a few years ago resulted in the same ending. Now it's pretty much sore all the time and arthritis has set into that knee. Getting older is bitch!

Yep, my torn Meniscus repair a few years ago resulted in the same ending. Now it's pretty much sore all the time and arthritis has set into that knee. Getting older is bitch!

Yep. GETTING old is great. BEING old is really a bummer.:(

OP here. Thanks again for all the advice and personal experiences. I’m headed for a long trip and want a temporary solution before I can get in to see a doc.

I got this highly-rated knee brace for $5 on Amazon and tried it out yesterday on my regular 3.8 mile walk, while alternating left and right sidewalks to even out the differing grades. No soreness today so far.

An xray showed a torn meniscus, doc said, I can take the torn piece out, but there is no evidence the knee does any better after such a removal. He gave me a steroid shot, which did help. Today I still have some occasional pain and clicking going on.

I had a torn meniscus at 50. The cortizone steroid worked great, thought i was healed...for 3-4 months. So I got another one, and planned for surgery in the interim.

Had the surgery, I'm great. No pain, no shots, no nothing, no braces, no clicking, back to all prior activities including running holding strong more than 3 years later.

During the surgery, my doc got pics from inside my knee and showed me I'm down to very little cartilage and a TKR/partial is in my future, but keeping the surrounding muscles strong will help delay that. So far so good!

Darn, it looks like they found the value, I can only find it for $11.00!

https://www.amazon.com/Closeoutzone...way+adjustable+knee+brace,aps,120&sr=8-5&th=1

^^^^^ It’s working well for me, though. No knee pain this week.

Then I expect it will work even better at $11.00 :LOL: Maybe a Marathon in my future!
:( I woke up this morning with my whole knee aching. Better now after some Ibuprofen and some time moving around. I don't know which helped the most.

In May saw the orthopedist who shot my knee and shoulder full of Hyaluronic acid after showing me pictures of my arthritic joints.

Got into the gym and started working my knees and body everyday. In August was able to do a walking tour of England. So working it is critical even with the shots.

Interesting. I’m ignorant about Hyaluronic acid for joints. I’ve just seen it in facial moisturizers.

Back
Top Bottom