Sources for part-time jobs?

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone have a recommendation besides Indeed for finding a fun part time job? I’m a retired teacher, who does a bit of subbing and tutoring. I really want to pass out wine samples, but in applying for brand ambassador jobs, I’m learning there is more hassle involved than I anticipated.
Someone recommended a site called flexjob to me. Anyone use it?

rover.com

You'd be really surprised what some folks are willing to pay to have their pets taken care of. DD and roommates sometimes kept the pets at their apartment, sometimes she'd just visit the home and take them for a 15 to 30 minute walk and play with them. A couple times she did house sitting at the same time and got to stay in some incredible homes/pads.

I got my part-time job by networking with some friends.

I test sand, gravel, concrete and other material to ensure they meet quality standards. Mostly I fill in when other guys are out and during the peak of the construction season (April thru November).

It’s a fun job and pays well.

I think the best way to find almost any type of job is through word of mouth and networking. Tell everyone you know what you're looking for. Post to your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). You never know who you know that might work somewhere that is looking for help.

Near large metro areas Craigslist.org is pretty good. Look under volunteers (many are paid), jobs, and gigs.

Define your "fun" job.
If I got paid to do a hobby of mine, I suppose that could be fun, but I would still be on someone else's schedule.

Besides the above sites and suggestions, you could also check your state employment/unemployment websites. Ours has lists of hundreds of jobs available.

I work (very) part time for my son. I would recommend friends and family for ideas. When I very first retired my brother had me all set up to work for him making cold calls and I had to say no thank you.

After I ER'd, DW and I decided to take a PT j*b repositioning cars for dealers and driving cars from dealerships to the auction. The pay was pathetic ($0.15/mile) but we thought maybe there would be some camaraderie and potential for social interaction. Oddly enough, there were politics, cliques, back-stabbing and open hostility among the w*rkers - most long-termers.

Once we were moving a dealer's entire stock to a "tent" sale. There was a prescribed route as a dozen or so cars were moved at a time - followed by a van ride back to the dealership. On one trip, the traffic (created by the large number of extra cars on the road) left me out in a main street, partially blocking traffic as I waited for all the "movers" in front of me to make a turn. SO, I edged around the car in front of me and went to the next intersection to relieve the traffic jam. Back at the dealer, the "straw boss" took me aside and told me he knew what I had done. "Don't do it again. It upsets everyone."

Virtually every trip, someone got "upset" with someone else. I decided quickly that it wasn't worth the money and the "adventure" just wasn't there. Any "social interaction" was usually unpleasant as well.

SO, choose your PT gig carefully. You may get ALL the hassle of a "real" j*b with a pittance for your pay. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom