Southern Spain in February

Eucerin

Recycles dryer sheets
Instead of Florida for the month of February in the past, we decided to change the scene to venture out to south spain. Friend of ours recommended us to Airbnb in Torremolinos which is close to train station to Malaga airport where we will be fly in and out of country. Googled Malaga and it seems there are plenty to see and visit.
We also have Barcelona in mind, but it is north Spain and distance is intimidating, the weather is another factor given the idea of northern area.
We try to make the month of February interesting and see different places.
If anyone have had experience of any kind, please share your experience with us.
Thanks ahead.

Southern Spain is awesome. Traveled many cities/towns in Andalusia and highly recommend it.

I think we switched from train to a bus in Malaga traveling on to Nerja a coastal resort town. Malaga looked very nice, tropical, lots of palm trees etc. there.

Just check this place out along the waterfront! Nothing like coastal Spain seafood! Restaurante Gutiérrez Puerto
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HPxLNQFzMH9gQeRs7?g_st=ic

Last edited:
Two really interesting places are Ronda and Setenil de las Bodegas. and you must go to Granada to see the Alhambra. jmho

Maybe a little far (Maps says it's 4.5 hrs by train) is ‎⁨Jerez de la Frontera⁩. If you like Sherry, this is the place where it's all made.

We visited when an Atlantic crossing cruise stopped in the port of Cadiz. We enjoyed it.

Southern Spain is not warm like Florida in February. I spent a few weeks in Marbella area in Feb a few years ago.

Low or mid 60s and beautiful when sunny. But it was sunny only half the time. I really liked Marbella and if I lived in Europe I’m sure I’d visit the south of Spain frequently in Winter. However there’s really nowhere in Europe that is like Florida in Winter I.e., 70s weather and good swimming. The Canary Islands are warmer, and they’re Spanish but located off Africa.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your responses.
If we decided to go, we will visit all the towns and cities in the southern region that you mentioned. They are not far from each other, and we do have plenty of time to visit them.
While it is true that the temperature in February is around 60s in southern Spain, it is sweater and light jacket weather. We are in northereast new england here, February can be freezing. Plus its a good break from long winter here.
Transportation is another dilemma. There is no direct fly from JFK to Malaga airport, we will have to go to either Madrid or Barcelona, and then train to Malaga area.
In our thinking tank, we also throw in an idea that airbnb in Barcelona. but again, not sure where is a good area that close to train/bus stations.

We took a train from Seville to Malaga and then traveled by bus to several major cities in southern Spain.

The Spanish bus company ALSA offers excellent city to city transportation in the area. These are large very comfortable buses will large basement bays for luggage. You can reserve and buy tickets online, scan your phone on entry. We traveled Malaga to Nerja, then a few days later Nerja to Grenada, then a few days later Grenada to Jean for a few days and finally to Cordoba. They were all excellent comfortable rides and I was very impressed.

Last edited:

If we decided to go, we will visit all the towns and cities in the southern region that you mentioned. They are not far from each other, and we do have plenty of time to visit them.

While it is true that the temperature in February is around 60s in southern Spain, it is sweater and light jacket weather. We are in northereast new england here, February can be freezing. Plus its a good break from long winter here.

Transportation is another dilemma. There is no direct fly from JFK to Malaga airport, we will have to go to either Madrid or Barcelona, and then train to Malaga area.

In our thinking tank, we also throw in an idea that airbnb in Barcelona. but again, not sure where is a good area that close to train/bus stations.

Just an idea. I’ve flown direct from Dublin to Malaga a few times. Cheap Ryan Air flights or Aer Lingus. I’m sure there are also flights from London. So if you’re just using carry on it’s a breeze to fly thru these, assuming you arrive early enough in either. If you have bags you’d have to pick them up and check them again.

We took a train from Seville to Malaga and then traveled by bus to several major cities in southern Spain.

The Spanish bus company ALSA offers excellent city to city transportation in the area. These are large very comfortable buses will large basement bays for luggage. You can reserve and buy tickets online, scan your phone on entry. We traveled Malaga to Nerja, then a few days later Nerja to Grenada, then a few days later Grenada to Jean for a few days and finally to Cordoba. They were all excellent comfortable rides and I was very impressed.

From a couple of your msg, it seems that you stayed at the hotels most of the time from one place to another. What was the price of the hotels? I assume that was prior covid, it maybe cheaper back then.
We are thinking of staying in Barcelona for 5 days, and trying to compare hotel price vs. airbnb

Just an idea. I’ve flown direct from Dublin to Malaga a few times. Cheap Ryan Air flights or Aer Lingus. I’m sure there are also flights from London. So if you’re just using carry on it’s a breeze to fly thru these, assuming you arrive early enough in either. If you have bags you’d have to pick them up and check them again.

Yes, that helps. Thank you!!

From a couple of your msg, it seems that you stayed at the hotels most of the time from one place to another. What was the price of the hotels? I assume that was prior covid, it maybe cheaper back then.
We are thinking of staying in Barcelona for 5 days, and trying to compare hotel price vs. airbnb

Gosh, I don’t remember. This was 2018. We stayed kind of upscale but certainly not top dollar. A couple were Paradores which I really enjoyed. We stayed in 6 different cities, 5 of them in Andalusia. Generally stayed within walking distance of major attractions (old city), used local bus transportation in a few cases.

If I were staying in an area as a base for several weeks I would try more apartment type lodging.

We visited Barcelona a different year (2016?). We stayed near Catalunya square which is extremely convenient to public transportation as well as within walking distance of a lot. Looks like it was at Hotel Catalonia Square.

Last edited:

Yeah, when you consider that Malaga is about 36+ degrees N. latitude, those temps are pretty nice compared to, say, Nashville. The Med really affects temps - in a good way, year round.

Gosh, I don’t remember. This was 2018. We stayed kind of upscale but certainly not top dollar. A couple were Paradores which I really enjoyed. We stayed in 6 different cities, 5 of them in Andalusia. Generally stayed within walking distance of major attractions (old city), used local bus transportation in a few cases.

If I were staying in an area as a base for several weeks I would try more apartment type lodging.

We visited Barcelona a different year (2016?). We stayed near Catalunya square which is extremely convenient to public transportation as well as within walking distance of a lot. Looks like it was at Hotel Catalonia Square.
Thank you for your input.
This is the first time we have heard Paradores, we will take a look of that option. We have heard that Hostel is popular there, but its shared rooms that may not work for us.

Yeah, when you consider that Malaga is about 36+ degrees N. latitude, those temps are pretty nice compared to, say, Nashville. The Med really affects temps - in a good way, year round.
Yes, I agree.
We have been going to Florida for winter breaks in the past. This year we decided to do something different, to venture out to a different continent to see different things with less crowds. Its our first time and lots of home work need to be done

If I were a bit more adventurous, I'd love to explore the entire Mediterranean coast. I spent time on the Italian Riviera in summer. The weather was perfect. I think I could live there - well, if I spoke the languages. Anyway, it's just a dream and dreams fade when you wake up. Of course, YMMV.

We've spent the last two winters in Southern Spain and Portugal (Mid Jan thru Mid March). You'll be near Seville and should spend a nice piece of time there. It's a beautiful city. Barcelona is a long way from Malaga but is connected by train.

You have been very helpful in our decision making process. This or that all adding into our final decision.
We are going to flying out JFK to Madrid, stay for a few days and train out to Malaga, then switch to local tram to Benalmadena. Airbnb in Benalmadena for 3 weeks, then head out to Seville for a couple of days, then train out to Barcelona. We will be staying Barcelona for about 5 days or so, then head back to JFK. It is a little over one month, but it should give us a good break from new england winter.
Besides the phone situation in spain, also I have a question on the credit card. I have fidelity visa card, can it be used internationally?

You have been very helpful in our decision making process. This or that all adding into our final decision.
We are going to flying out JFK to Madrid, stay for a few days and train out to Malaga, then switch to local tram to Benalmadena. Airbnb in Benalmadena for 3 weeks, then head out to Seville for a couple of days, then train out to Barcelona. We will be staying Barcelona for about 5 days or so, then head back to JFK. It is a little over one month, but it should give us a good break from new england winter.
Besides the phone situation in spain, also I have a question on the credit card. I have fidelity visa card, can it be used internationally?

Glad you have it figured out. We look forward to pictures.

As far as you credit card - I would call THEM and not listen to us. Too big a deal if we're wrong. YMMV

Sounds like a great trip!

Yes, the Fidelity VISA works internationally. Your 2% cash rewards drops to 1% because of the 1% foreign transaction fee. Otherwise look for a no annual fee no foreign transaction fee credit card if you prefer. Several out there.

You may also need ATM access while you are there. US bank fees for ATM use overseas use can be very high. The Fidelity ATM debit card (for sure the one that is tied to the cash management account) has no fees for ATM cash withdrawal overseas and also reimbursed local ATM fees.

You are going to have to learn about making sure transactions occur in local currency for the lowest fees. Lots of businesses and machines offer to charge you in US dollars, but you get less favorable rates if you accept it.

Went to Andalusia in April, flying into Malaga.

Weather was just terrific, warm but not quite sweltering yet. Still T-shirt and shorts weather.

For me the best part of Malaga were the Alcazaba and also a castle. But these involved a lot of walking uphill. The vistas were spectacular though.

Ronda was great, so was Senetil de las Bodegas.

Spent 4 nights in Granada, saw the Alhambra again. Stayed up near the top of the Albaicin (depending on the bus to go back up) so it was beautiful at night to see the Alhambra lit up.

You can check the average weather. I think Barcelona isn't as warm as Andalusia but might rain more.

I did once visit Granada in February and it was frigid. Actually even in April (just 3-4 months ago), you could see snow capped peaks behind the Alhambra. They are the Sierra Nevada.

But I believe it's warmer along the coast and also in Seville, which is not as high up as Granada.

We visited Andalusia in first half May a few years ago. Warming up for sure, but nothing like their Phoenix like weather in summer. Hmmm - maybe that’s why they call it Phoenix?

Cities in southern Spain (plus Madrid and others) are always good for a tapas crawl. Seville is well known for tapas bars. I thought the Alcazar in Seville was just amazing. Also climbed to the top of the church tower and enjoyed the moorish architecture in the cathedral. Of course the Alhambra in Grenada is the best of the alcazars and the cathedral/mosque in Cordoba can’t be beat.

Where we visited:

Seville
Day trip to Cadiz and Jerez (where their main festival was going on)
Day trip to Huelva province up in the mountains to see the famous free range Iberian Pigs and Jamón Iberico production.

Nerja (some nearby visits like the cave and hilltop village)

Grenada

Jaen

Cordoba

It has been many month since my last post in the forum. I am still here and still working in progress on the Spain trip.
In the fall, we went to China for a month. I called Fidelity Visacard about the trip, they noted in the system of the trip and hope not to block the transactions while in China. I confirmed that the 2% cash reward drop down to 1% due to transaction fees. In the end, we never used the Fidelity Visacard.
I called Fidelity today to inform them my trip to Spain in the end of January. The representative said no transaction fee, no foreign conversion fee, and no drop on 2% cash reward. And also, the card provide travel protection plan, includes 3k lost luggage, zero liability coverage, emergency card and cash replacement, and purchasing security. The last few items are expected from a creditcard company, but the travel protection is new to me.
Does anyone aware of the Fidelity Visacard change? Or i am given the most not up to date information?

Many thanks!!!

If anyone have had experience of any kind, please share your experience with us.
Thanks ahead.

We stayed in Feb in Seville Spain (beacuse it is the warmest city in Europe). It was great. People are friendly. Weather was fantastic, oranges on the trees in the city. Food was great. Public transportation was great. It has a very large historic district and wonderfull public parks. There are bike paths all over the city. We met some snowbirds from Minnesota.

It is well connetcted with the rest of Spain with high speed rail. We were in Cordoba in 42 minutes :) by train. I am trying very hard to learn Spanish and little of it goes long way in terms of how people will treat you.

It is 100 times more interesting place than Florida. If you go to Seville see if you can find some place in Triana. This is were locals live and have wine and tapas. It is really nice near Triana Bridge. We are looking forward to our next stay in this wonderfull city.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom