souvenirs made in China

I try to avoid buying stuff from the PRC for several reasons. I'll just leave it at that.

Same here. The BBC provides excellent coverage on PRC in some of their podcasts.

Cheap souvenirs (poorly-made, poor labor conditions, flimsy materials) also depress the prices for local crafts. As I noted earlier, if I want to bring back an inexpensive gift it’s usually local food that’s acceptable to bring back into the USA.

I'm another who likes to get locally made items for souvenirs whenever possible.

A couple of years ago when we were in the Falkland Islands they had the usual souvenir stuff but I looked around and was stunned to find some beautiful bone china coffee mugs with Falklands themes that were actually made in England. Far from cheap, but wonderful souvenirs. So it's certainly possible, as others have pointed out, but seldom easy.

Just read the label.
Requirements for country of origin labeling are not that common around the world and, in any case, labels are easy for a seller to remove.

It is, what it is that China manufactures a lot of stuff today. While we avoid made in China stuff if we can/it's low effort, we also try not to overthink it.

As a default, we generally avoid buying trinkets as souvenirs that just sit there as we're trying to limit the clutter in the house and conversely, most friends/familiy receiving such a gift won't value it much since it a reminder of our trip, not theirs. Since most of that stuff is made in China, that kind of solves the original problem. However, we're not adverse to buying a small $2 souvenir magnet to throw on the fridge and if we're really feeling adventurous, an ornament for the Christmas tree. Made in China. But the chances I'm going to find a magnet with the image of the Acropolis anywhere but in Athens/Greece is probably unlikely.

If we're getting someone a souvenir from our trip, it's typically local foodstuff like spices, junkfood/candy, turkish delight, hot sauce, wine, etc or something branded like stuff from Harrods' foodhall. With globalization, you can pretty much get anything, from anywhere but I think a consumable can be easily enjoyed and done with.
Alternatively, specific the the OP's original example, a few years ago we bought $15 scarves from a stall in the San Lorenzo street market in Florence to give away as gifts. The labels said, Made in Italy and the vendor said they were made at a factory a few miles away :rolleyes:.Even though we were pretty skeptical at that price, we still bought them. Our friends and family seemed to appreciate them. Handy for our winters in Vancouver or easily regifted. :)

Not to mention, put on their own labels.

In Cambodia, I visited a fabric store whose proprietress, not knowing me to be a fiber artist, tried to sell me synthetic fiber as "silk."

"Look, the label - 100% silk!" It was a fake label, too. And why was it in English, and only English? Because it's there to fool tourists, that's why.

I was on the verge of asking her to light a match to test the fabric, then thought to myself, "Chuck it - it's beautiful fabric, and cheap by U.S. standards," did a little haggling, and bought it anyway.

Requirements for country of origin labeling are not that common around the world and, in any case, labels are easy for a seller to remove.

Alternatively, specific the the OP's original example, a few years ago we bought $15 scarves from a stall in the San Lorenzo street market in Florence to give away as gifts.

I remember going to a silk factory in Florence where they actually made the silk fabrics on old fashioned human powered looms. Lovely fabrics of all sorts were available at top dollar prices. The only gifts I could afford to buy where a few bookmarks - about 5 euros each way back then.

Last edited:
When I'm traveling in China, I always ask, do you have any souvenirs made in the USA?

Souvenirs in the form of a tchotchke are really of no value to me. I will buy a coffee mug, or some other thing that I touch and feel on a daily or weekly basis. They remind me of my visit there. Where it was made has no real effect on those memories. I'm not buying an investment piece from a local artisan.

I do have a few items from my trips to China that were made locally if that counts.

Further, I don't really need or want a souvenir from somebody else's vacation. I wasn't there! I don't get those who do buy souvenirs for others.

Even going back decades ago, if you ever went into a National Park's gift shop, most of the stuff there were either made in Mexico or China. There is no getting around it IMO.

I don't really need or want a souvenir from somebody else's vacation. I wasn't there! I don't get those who do buy souvenirs for others.
Two comments:

1. If the person collects a certain sort of item, they will often appreciate you getting them something that adds to their collection. For example, for years our daughter collected keychains. When my wife and I traveled without her, we always made sure to find an unusual keychain from the locale to bring back for her.

2. When someone else gives it to you, it isn't a souvenir, it's a gift. You should appreciate it accordingly. We often purchase gifts for friends and family members when we travel. Whether they love the items or not, I would hope they appreciate that we were thinking of them while we were away and took the time and effort (and money) to buy them something we felt they would like.

I love a T-shirt bought during somebody's vacation. Thoughtful and useful!

Further, I don't really need or want a souvenir from somebody else's vacation. I wasn't there! I don't get those who do buy souvenirs for others.

My Mom was really annoyed I didn't bring her back fresh herbs from Provence...

I like to pick up two things on vacations: A small piece of local pottery, a dish or something, that might fit in my hand, and be unlikely to break on my trip home, and a christmas ornament that is specific to the area (like a felted bison from yellowstone, or a shell design from the caymans). That way every year I get to revisit each place when I decorate for the holidays.

I tend to give small food items as souvenirs - Olive oil from the Mediterranean, coffee beans from C. and S. America, dried herbs from France, good chocolate from anywhere!

My book club generally gets bookmarks. Best bookmarks ever were the ones I picked up in Thailand. They were made from elephant dung, and I had so much fun sharing that tidbit after everyone had exclaimed over how attractive they were.

My Mom was really annoyed I didn't bring her back fresh herbs from Provence...

I like to pick up two things on vacations: A small piece of local pottery, a dish or something, that might fit in my hand, and be unlikely to break on my trip home, and a christmas ornament that is specific to the area (like a felted bison from yellowstone, or a shell design from the caymans). That way every year I get to revisit each place when I decorate for the holidays.
Fresh herbs/plants not an option to bring into the US, but I did buy a bag of Herbes de Provence to bring home, and amazingly it did not contain lavender.

One of the things I love to bring home is cheese -- the kinds we don't get here, or at least ones we don't get in top condition. Most of the time I'm a straight arrow when it comes to import regulations, but I have to admit to sometimes carrying a small assortment of printed stick-on labels that say "Aged over 60 days". :angel:

You have to be careful with cheese though. It often triggers a hand inspection when it goes through the X-ray machine in carry-on luggage. A TSA agent once told me my cheese looked like a block of plastic explosive. He changed his mind in a hurry when he opened it up and took a sniff. :LOL:

My frozen tamales - they must definitely look like plastic explosives on the X-ray! Gotten a few cards left from TSA in the checked cooler. Fortunately most here know about Delia’s Tamales.

I was delighted to learn that canned duck products including foie gras were permitted on our last trip to southern France. I had thought all meat products were not allowed, but it’s narrower than that. Next time we go to Dordogne region we are bringing back many more cans!

I never knew. That seems implausible and dangerous. Do you have any sources?

I’m not at my computer but here’s one list of countries whose coins are produced by the Royal Canadian Mint.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_countries_with_coinage_struck_at_the_Royal_Canadian_Mint

Two comments:

1. If the person collects a certain sort of item, they will often appreciate you getting them something that adds to their collection. For example, for years our daughter collected keychains. When my wife and I traveled without her, we always made sure to find an unusual keychain from the locale to bring back for her.

2. When someone else gives it to you, it isn't a souvenir, it's a gift. You should appreciate it accordingly. We often purchase gifts for friends and family members when we travel. Whether they love the items or not, I would hope they appreciate that we were thinking of them while we were away and took the time and effort (and money) to buy them something we felt they would like.

I love a T-shirt bought during somebody's vacation. Thoughtful and useful!

I will say that these examples are different than a Tchotchkes. DW has a collection of spoons from places we have traveled. These seem to be out of favor lately. If she were to receive one from somebody else, there would be a choice to make. If it was from someplace we have been but could not/did not get a spoon at that time, then it would go in the display rack. I have no doubt about that. I suspect that any other "gift" would go into a drawer never to see the light of day again, for the display is a collection of places we have traveled, Not a collection of "various places".

I was recently given a t-shirt from my son when he came back from a trip. It had the location printed in great big letters. It immediately became a garage shirt. Not my style and I didn't want it to just sit in a drawer.

Each to their own I suppose.

I tend to give small food items as souvenirs - Olive oil from the Mediterranean, coffee beans from C. and S. America, dried herbs from France, good chocolate from anywhere!

My book club generally gets bookmarks. Best bookmarks ever were the ones I picked up in Thailand. They were made from elephant dung, and I had so much fun sharing that tidbit after everyone had exclaimed over how attractive they were.

My wife and I like to browse in food stores when traveling. Both small shops and supermarkets. We often pick up things like locally made jams/preserves, mustard, chocolate bars, etc. Small enough to fit in our suitcases, not breakable if wrapped in clothes, simple.

I'm not positive, but I think most food products that are packaged in a sealed commercial container should be OK to bring home. The problem is that customs agents have very wide discretion about what they will let through.

What food items can I bring into the United States for personal use?

I think you’re right. Years ago it was a great challenge for a lot of Americans to wrap their Irish breakfast sausage well enough to defeat the sniffer beagles at JFK or Logan. (Why they thought it was so good I’ll never know.) Now it’s sold in vacuum sealed packages in the Duty Free shops at Dublin and Shannon and is legal.

I never knew. That seems implausible and dangerous. Do you have any sources?
I have read a number of times about private banknote printers used by many small countries. Google just gave me this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banknote_printers. Coinage maybe less so: Mints Once you've bought the dies, minting coins is a pretty simple process. Printing banknotes is probably more difficult due to the special papers used, though counterfeiting US $20 appears to be a worldwide business.

Bottom line...most people are not willing to pay the price for locally made souveneers.

We do not bother any more.

Jus think about all those unions that want their members to embargo Walmart and made in China products. Do you think even a small minority of union members follow this recommendation:confused:?

If you do not want to buy made in China products them forget about buying any electronics. They are either made in China or assembled with some or all parts that are made in China.

The only travel souvenirs I buy anymore for myself are shot glasses, and they are always made in China. It's quite OK though, because their real value is in reminding me of the places that I visited.

The last thing I bought that was truly locally made was a dagger bought in Toledo, Spain. I bought it from the local sword forger who made all the things he sold, and I read about him from Rick Steves.

Sadly, this nice dagger was stolen from me.

Last edited:
Don’t buy junk. No one really wants a cheap souvenir. It is easy to avoid. Buy quality items locally made only. Research in advance if it is something you really want. Go to a place where you can watch people actually making them. Just like in the U.S., quality items cost money.

Back
Top Bottom