Space - The Final Frontier

Sure ... the Musk fan base likes that.

We'll see how this development goes.

Can we please keep this thread about Space exploration?

The second launch of the Starship was better than the first. It appears that they did fix several problems, such as engines not working on the booster, and a failed separation at staging. And both the booster and the upper Starship blew up. So, some significant progress, but there are still significant problems to be solved.

So far I haven't read anything about the condition of the launch pad.

Rocketry is hard. Rocketry with humans on board is even harder. Just as Blue Origin, Boeing, Roscosmos, China Manned Space, and anybody else who has tried it.

Last edited:
So far I haven't read anything about the condition of the launch pad.

It's intact with a bit of wear and tear.

F_OnwsDXAAAS3qA

Nice pics. Looks like some damage to the tanks?

Seven months between the two launches with good progress. I wonder how soon we’ll see the next launch?

It’s interesting how far ahead SpaceX is with reusable launch vehicles. But the competition will eventually get there. China recently tested a reusable rocket and ESA is working on it with their Themis project. And there’s also Blue Origin, but they seem to be behind schedule.

Btw, for those that are interested, arstechnica has a monthly rocket report newsletter. It’s a good summary of current news along with a launch schedule. Here’s the latest version: https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/...astra-and-virgin-spacex-upgrading-launch-pad/

Wasn't one of the problems last time that the self-destruct command didn't work?

Seems it worked flawlessly this time, for both the booster and 2nd stage.

(How's that for putting a positive spin on things?)

No Musk fan boy here, but I'm always glad to see progress on space exploration.

Once again, the dead horse being beat. Maybe move on from your tired drumbeat. Go grind your axe elsewhere. This is an enjoyable thread.

Now, MuirWannabe, not so sensitive, please.

I was expressing my belief that the SpaceX (Musk) team is not doing the required amount of engineering for this particular project - if I hurt your feelings, I'm sorry. I hope they are successful.

I don't have an axe to grind. And, I too find space exploration and most any space based sensor discussion an enjoyable topic.

Thanks. It's nice to know the launch pad was not scattered over half the state of Texas. :D

I get your point... but it would take more than a nuclear explosion to cover more than half of Texas... :LOL: We really are BIG...

I was expressing my belief that the SpaceX (Musk) team is not doing the required amount of engineering for this particular project - if I hurt your feelings, I'm sorry. I hope they are successful.

I don't have an axe to grind. And, I too find space exploration and most any space based sensor discussion an enjoyable topic.

I get why people don't like Elon. But I'm hard to pressed to think of any evidence that the SpaceX team isn't doing enough engineering. Falcon 9 has 99.3% success rate, that is better than any rocket system ever developed, except for the Saturn V, but there were only 13 Saturn V, vs the over 280 Falcon 9 launches.

They've also reduced the cost of launches by an order of magnitude, saving the US taxpayers of billions. They also have the largest satellite network in the world and soon have launched more satellites than the rest of the world combined since Sputnik.

You don't achieve that level of success, especially in a field like rocket science, with anything less than engineering excellence.

Am hugely impressed with being able to launch a 400' tall, guessing 12' diameter tube full of some volatile fuels. And this time made it 90 miles high.

Beats caber tossing.

You have never worked in R&D even the simples things have failures and multiple revisions, this is how you learn.... baby steps.... failures tell you a lot of what is going on both good and bad.

You have never worked in R&D even the simples things have failures and multiple revisions, this is how you learn.... baby steps.... failures tell you a lot of what is going on both good and bad.

Actually, I have. You guys seem really sensitive!

Lest we forget. Ingenuity is still flying about Mars:

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/status/

As the team dusted off the cobwebs and started bringing down log files and images from the flight, it became apparent that the helicopter had spent the last two months parked on something truly remarkable. Sitting directly under Ingenuity’s feet, spread over the fractured rock of the riverbed, was a collection of cobbles and pebbles unlike any that scientists had seen before. Many were partially eroded and exhibited a vesicular texture more reminiscent of fresh basalt. These rocks immediately garnered a powerful reaction from project scientists, who requested that Ingenuity perform a dedicated science scouting flight as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Below is the SpaceX summary of the 2nd test of Starship. I could not copy the text so I copied the entire photo. Click or tap on it to expand and read.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 25
Below is the SpaceX summary of the 2nd test of Starship. I could not copy the text so I copied the entire photo. Click or tap on it to expand and read.
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom