Spending change after FIRE

Not so much traveling, but we do get the heck out of Dodge in the winter and spend 3 mos. where it is warm. Obviously, saving that $ would help the bottom line, but....

Livin' the dream.

43 degrees in Dodge City today

+1 to travel. After loosing close to 1M around 2000(was 36 and DW 30 then), we started traveling. We took 4 weeks of vacation somewhere each year and spent decent money - of course after saving enough for future and never regretted. As others said, travel while you are healthy and able. Just spent 39K on travel last year and have budgeted the same for this year. I retired on 12/1/2016. I know we'll slow down a lot in our 70s...:)

I also vote for travel more now while you are able and still enjoy it . There will come a day when you either can not travel or have no interest in travel so enjoy it now .

My dad worked hard until he was 80 and my stepmon too infirm to travel well.

They both like travel, they both like each other, they're both handicapped.

It was hard to do, but I signed up for 2 cruises, one just DW and me, and the other with another couple (I paid for the cruise, they are covering the airfare and the travelling after the cruise with a settle-up at the end). It just about blew the budget for the year, but it is travel in 2017 and 2018, and I should get some back after the 2nd trip. It feels good. Thanks to all of the posters for giving me the push to enjoy life!

Good decision. I'm late to the party, but some background: DH and I met in 1997. He was 59, I was 45. We discovered we had a common love of travel and got going almost immediately. Back when we could survive Coach flights (he was younger, I hadn't gotten spoiled by corporate travel on long-hauls) and lived close to Newark Airport, sometimes we went to Europe 3 times in one year. That slowed down after we moved to the Midwest (longer transit times because there was always at last one connection in North America) and it was getting harder and harder for DH, who was over 6 feet tall and had a creaky back, to recover from long flights in Coach, so we flew Business. Still, I knew that if we waited till I retired at 65 to make our dream trips, he'd be 80. I ended up retiring at 61, so he was 76.

One other factor if you wait too long to travel: it gets more expensive because you're less likely to want to "rough it". As DH's stamina decreased, I booked more car services to and from airports instead of trying to drag our stuff on and off public transportation. More hotels convenient to the city center and the subway stops. Hotel rooms big and comfortable enough for DH to stretch out and watch TV after a day of sightseeing while I went for a run. No more cheap redeyes in Coach for a 4-day weekend in Rio or Edinburgh.

DH died late last year. We had to cancel a planned trip to Iceland last August but we'd been there the year before and it was one of our best. I'm not done yet. I'm booked to take a cruise through the Panama Canal in April and, when I found a favorite Aunt had booked a tour of India and Kathmandu in March of 2018, I put down a deposit. DH knew some of his ashes were going into the Panama Canal- he didn't know they'd be going into the Ganges, too!

Definitely do it while you can.

Travel is a good thing to do because the costs can vary to match your available funds.

Pampered travel for $500 per person-day, sure, but also enjoyable travel for $50 per person-day. When the market is up, go for business-class air and the suites. When the market is down, get in the car and crash at the relatives' place. From a lifestyle perspective, not that much difference. Are McDonald's and Ruth's Chris different, sure, but with the right attitude, you can have a "9" experience at either.

Good decision. I'm late to the party, but some background: DH and I met in 1997. He was 59, I was 45. We discovered we had a common love of travel and got going almost immediately. Back when we could survive Coach flights (he was younger, I hadn't gotten spoiled by corporate travel on long-hauls) and lived close to Newark Airport, sometimes we went to Europe 3 times in one year.

One other factor if you wait too long to travel: it gets more expensive because you're less likely to want to "rough it". As DH's stamina decreased, I booked more car services to and from airports instead of trying to drag our stuff on and off public transportation. More hotels convenient to the city center and the subway stops. Hotel rooms big and comfortable enough for DH to stretch out and watch TV after a day of sightseeing while I went for a run. No more cheap redeyes in Coach for a 4-day weekend in Rio or Edinburgh.

DH died late last year. We had to cancel a planned trip to Iceland last August but we'd been there the year before and it was one of our best. I'm not done yet. I'm booked to take a cruise through the Panama Canal in April and, when I found a favorite Aunt had booked a tour of India and Kathmandu in March of 2018, I put down a deposit. DH knew some of his ashes were going into the Panama Canal- he didn't know they'd be going into the Ganges, too!

Definitely do it while you can.

Amen! When we were first married in 2007, we took 2 Transatlantic flights from LA in 3 months. As we got older, I was able to parlay BA miles and companion tickets to fly Business Class to Europe.
2013 was our last flight to Europe-Moscow to St. Petersburg on a river cruise. The time difference was 11 hours,and it nearly did us in, as there was no sun to reset our clocks.
Since then, we have limited our travel to the Western Hemisphere. Unfortunately, my wife has been diagnosed with Afib, and her stamina levels have decreased.
I agree do it while you can!

Viewing your situation from the perspective of 11+ years of retirement, my vote would be to up the travel budget and spend the money now. At this point I'm growing far more concerned about running out of health than running out of money.

+1, with only 4 years of retirement. This past July, DW started having seizures. Docs suspect a cavernoma is triggering them, not dangerous in and of itself. But, her doc has instructed us to not let her ge too tired, stressed, or anxious. We called off a trip to Asia planned for next month as she is still not stable enough on the meds. We went to Hawaii in November. But I had to take her back to the hotel daily from about 2pm until 6pm when we'd venture out to find some dinner. The meds that are supposed to prevent seizures make you tired and cranky, and to an extent, unable to control what you say until you've become accustomed to them. With each seizure, the dosage goes up, and the accustomization process starts over. (I've been walking on eggshells since July...but I know it's the meds talking, not her).

So yeah, if you are thinking of travel, do it while you can. We hope to get back to a bit more when DW's meds have her more stable.

So yeah, if you are thinking of travel, do it while you can. We hope to get back to a bit more when DW's meds have her more stable.

Agree, DW's COPD is getting worse every year. She is 70 and we are pretty much limited in travel destinations as she is stamina constrained after all the steroids she has taken over the few years she contracted the disease. Travel expense spending has decreased while spending on meds has increased.

Dear rambler,
My heart goes out to you. My wife was brain injured and was on Dilation to prevent seizures, but she still had them.
She passed away 11 years ago, and my present wife has Afib, so I know what you are going through ((Hugs))

Whether it's travel, or a hobby or a project around the house, or starting your own business do it sooner that later.

I just got a good wake up call earlier this new year. My doctor advised me to get the one time FREE to me Medicare EKG. After all Medicare pays for it 100%! Great! A day later his nurse calls - Oh Oh! My EKG has several abnormalities and I need to see a cardiologist. YIKES! :eek: I have a worrisome few days before I can see the cardiologist.

I visit the cardiologist who then schedules me for a stress test/echogram. Almost another whole week with that nagging worry. :( After the test, he calls the same day! Now I am really scared as I wait for him to tell me the results. He probably wants me in the hospital immediately! :nonono: Nope. My heart is pumping blood very well, there are no signs of any blockage or other issues. Whatever is causing the weird blips in the EKG it will not cause me health problems. :dance:

Time to schedule more travel, more time with friends, and find a few attractive women who can't keep their hands off me. Well, one would do just fine.;) I was never good at juggling knives. :D

Last edited:
If you can, do it now.

DW and I took a European river cruise this past fall with a group of friends. We all had a great time. 10 days after our return, one of our group had a heart attack and died. Really hit home to do what you can while you can.

Unfortunately for me, DW still works so our trips are limited. Once we both retire, I expect our travel to increase, especially in the first few years.

Spending way more in retirement. And I'm not sure where we are spending it, since I don't really track it anymore. I suspect major categories of spending increases include dining, alcohol, and hobbies like golf and fishing. Health insurance has been a huge increase as well as well as actual medical costs, since my wife had three surgeries last year. Biggest thing is that we are still remodeling and buying/selling homes. I have convinced myself that I will track details sometime again in the future, but who knows.

The pleasure of a well-planned vacation lasts far longer than the vacation itself! It's been years since DH and I went on a 2 week cruise throughout asia, but the memory of it always brings a smile to my face.

We don't like group travel either except for cruises. I don't want to be told what time to get up, eat, how long I have somewhere, etc.

+1 to travel. After loosing close to 1M around 2000(was 36 and DW 30 then), we started traveling. We took 4 weeks of vacation somewhere each year and spent decent money - of course after saving enough for future and never regretted. As others said, travel while you are healthy and able.

I also vote for travel more now while you are able and still enjoy it . There will come a day when you either can not travel or have no interest in travel so enjoy it now .

The pleasure of a well-planned vacation lasts far longer than the vacation itself! It's been years since DH and I went on a 2 week cruise throughout Asia, but the memory of it always brings a smile to my face.

+++1. Preaching to the choir. I RE in 8 weeks, but DW and I have been upping the travel for the last 6 years with two 2+ week long trips a year to national parks, Europe, etc. For the rest of 2017 we have 13 weeks of travel. We do a lot of photography, and at the end of each trip make a coffee table book from the photos. Looking through one of them is like taking the trip again.

Attachments

• Blurb Books 2.jpg
    Blurb Books 2.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 64
I have a friend, 62, who cruises regularly with her 70-year-old husband. She posts photos on FB and everyone else looks old enough to be their parents (except the crew members - on the ritzy cruises, they are always young and good-looking) .

Dear Dad was not rich, but he could have afforded a trip to Italy with my step-mom. Dad was beyond-passionate about art, but never would spend the money for a trip to Europe. A few years back DW and I went to Italy. In Florence, I was literally in tears thinking how my Dad would have LOVED being there. Do the travel!

+++1. Preaching to the choir. I RE in 8 weeks, but DW and I have been upping the travel for the last 6 years with two 2+ week long trips a year to national parks, Europe, etc. For the rest of 2017 we have 13 weeks of travel. We do a lot of photography, and at the end of each trip make a coffee table book from the photos. Looking through one of them is like taking the trip again.

That is a great idea.
What I have done on a somewhat similar vein is take 1 photo of a trip and get a 16x20 print of it framed and hung on the wall.
Of course I have limited wall space, so your idea is better.

That is a great idea.
What I have done on a somewhat similar vein is take 1 photo of a trip and get a 16x20 print of it framed and hung on the wall.
Of course I have limited wall space, so your idea is better.

We have started doing that too. For a long time we had framed reproductions of antique maps on the wall, but in recent years we been replacing them with photos from our trips. So far we have a composite of 5 shots from Alaska, the Grand Tetons, a very low angle on the Eiffel Tower, Antelope Canyon, Horshoe Bend, and the Grand Canyon.

Dear Dad was not rich, but he could have afforded a trip to Italy with my step-mom. Dad was beyond-passionate about art, but never would spend the money for a trip to Europe. A few years back DW and I went to Italy. In Florence, I was literally in tears thinking how my Dad would have LOVED being there. Do the travel!

+1
A life lesson!
My dear, long departed Grandma--wife of my grandfather; oft-mentioned on this forum -- had enough financial wherewithal to go anywhere, anytime. But gramps wouldn't let go of a dime.

My mom and brother had taken a trip to Bermuda and were showing her photos of the trip while she lay in bed in a hospital. She said: "Someday, I'm going to go there". She died a month or two later...

Spend the money. Get that bucket list done!

Back
Top Bottom