Spending time outside as we age

I've always been an outdoor person. I'll sit outside in very hot weather and let a sprinkler spray my legs while I sit in the shade. I also go out in very cold weather and hike to stay warm or sit by an outdoor fireplace or patio heater. Too much time indoors makes me feel imprisoned, especially in the winter. Dressing warmly and going for a walk seems to lift my mood and help with cabin fever and the winter blues.

More now than my IT career. We generally walk an hour or more daily. Today was a four mile hike that took two full hours.

In my first career, lumber, working inside was not very common. One winter I was under roof of a big open air shed or pole barn. No protection from the wind but plenty of nice shade. North winds blowing snow up your butt anytime you bent over.

I spend about 2 hrs outdoors which is maybe a half hour than before I retired. Now I spend about 5-6 hours per day out of the house.

I spend almost every day outside as much I can. Nothing for me to be outdoors 10 hours each day. I also love winter so I'm out a lot each day in the winter. There is so many fun things to do in the winter.

Def much, much more.

I walk 4 miles most days and bike for 30 minutes 3 or 4 X per week. Spend a lot of time hiking (mostly state and national) parks all over the state. DW has a 10 garden beds and I do all the construction and maintenance.

Read and surf/blog while sitting out on the deck for hours sometimes.

Life = grand!

I had an office job for almost 34 years, so way more outside time for me. I remember sitting in the office or in a meeting and just longing to be outside. I used to plan all my time off around predicted nice weather.

I had an office job for almost 34 years, so way more outside time for me. I remember sitting in the office or in a meeting and just longing to be outside. I used to plan all my time off around predicted nice weather.

Same for me. One of the big benefits of retirement is being able to be outside more. In retirement I took up skiing and biking. Activities that are best done outside. Also got two more vacation type properties in the mountains and in Arizona mostly because of the outdoor attractions. In fact, now that I think of it, my retirement was mostly predicated on being outside. It's a retirement not an aging thing. :)

Last edited:
Same for me. One of the big benefits of retirement is being able to be outside more. In retirement I took up skiing and biking. Activities that are best done outside. Also got two more vacation type properties in the mountains and in Arizona mostly because of the outdoor attractions. In fact, now that I think of it, my retirement was mostly predicated on being outside. It's a retirement not an aging thing. :)

Agree!:cool: I have loved being outside since I can first remember as a kid.

Being able to spend more time outside is the primary reason I bought our Az place. I can spend all day outside in Az in the winter. Not in Il.

Not retired yet, but planning to up my outdoors time from 1 hour a work day (commuting) to 4 or 5 hours every day. This is indeed a motivation for retiring in my case, as it seems to be for others. And by "outdoors" I don't mean "on a patio" or "at the grocery store," though there's nothing wrong with that. I mean "in nature." Directly across the street from my low-maintenance condo is 22 miles of open space on Lake Michigan. No other city in the world gives the public access to that much waterfront property. Tennis, golf, beaches, marinas, bird sanctuaries and a bike path throughout. The health and wellness benefits are huge. I expect to occupy it daily, in all seasons (albeit much less in winter). Can hardly wait when I think about it -- thanks for the reminder.

When working, I was outside every lunchtime, rain or shine, for a hour. I "needed" it, to clear my head (and besides, I didn't want to give them an extra hour of w*rk, and if you were at your desk, you were fair game).

Now, not working, there are days where I don't go outside at all.

I need to get a routine that includes being outside more!

Directly across the street from my low-maintenance condo is 22 miles of open space on Lake Michigan.
And you can get a custard at Northpoint, that is, if you're talking about Milwaukee.

Last edited:
WE take the dog for a long walk daily no matter the weather. I also like to sit outside and read. My DH has the garden to care for. I love being outside. Most weekends we have a festival downtown that we go too.

I love being retired because like today I can walk in my leisure pace to enjoy my garden. Best to do it before it gets too hot.

A lot more time. I used to work in a windowless building, so I now try to enjoy the sunlight whenever possible - even if it means just sitting in a recliner on my back porch with some iced tea.

And you can get a custard at Northpoint, that is, if you're talking about Milwaukee.

Chicago. I like Milwaukee a lot, and I have partners who live on the lake there, but metro Milwaukee does not offer 22 consecutive miles of unrestricted lakefront access. (I know this firsthand because my father captained a Coast Guard icebreaker that was based in downtown Milwaukee.) Only we have such wide, unrestricted, public access in Chicago, thanks to Daniel Burnham. It is unique in all the world, and those of us who are "Friends of the Park" are motivated to keep it that way.

I guess it only seemed like 22 miles when trying to keep-up with the twenty something daughter who loved the lakefront in Milwaukee. She didn't like the winters there, though, so now she's found a more southerly place to live.

I guess it only seemed like 22 miles when trying to keep-up with the twenty something daughter who loved the lakefront in Milwaukee. She didn't like the winters there, though, so now she's found a more southerly place to live.

Ah, yes. And my daughters live in Florida and Georgia. They're smarter than their old man.

So, I'm wondering how many of you spend significantly more time doing things outdoors since your ER. I would like to create one of those cool electronic surveys, but frankly I'm a bit too lazy after almost 2 years goofing off.
For me, way more hours outdoors. DW and I kayak, bike, hit the beaches, play tennis, pickleball, golf, and more. All require big chunks of time outdoors. We see the dermatologist annually to freeze and snip various "pre-something-or-other bits of flesh. We slather on the sunscreen and head on out.
I noticed that in my extended family, my father spent much more time indoors in his later years, as did nearly all my grandparents, aunts, and uncles. They were all ambulatory, but just seemed more comfortable indoors. My mother, on the other hand, loves to be outdoors (when its warm). She gardens and still takes long walks at 80-years young.
I don't know about you, but I plan to soak in as much outdoor action while I am physically able. There is just too much fun stuff to do!
Chuck

+2. I just finished my five mile walk while my wife rollerbladed for 10 miles. Later today the pool outside. Tonight me the gym, wife Tae Kwon Do. Starting to take our own gym equipment to the park for a workout after the walk etc.

Ed

Why, yes I do...

We now spend more time outside in retirement than when we were w@rking -- walk the dogs, hike in our new retirement location with plenty of mountains, trails, etc. (before, I was usually in a "dungeon-like " setting while spouse was occupying a corner office with windows)

Just got back going into the mountains (snow still at about 5k elevation there) and dropping my line into the McKenzie river. We could sit back and enjoy the tranquil rushing water after being in the lush green forest. (Try that in Chi-town ☺️)

IMG_0431.JPG

At some point I acquired a comfy padded rocker that I keep in the garage its purpose is for just sitting in the driveway enjoying the breeze. In my youth I could never be still now I can easily sit there for an hour. The only interruption is my old dog will come by every 15 minutes or so for some affection.... tuff life.

I spent the majority of my career working outside. In all types of weather here down south. Now I don't enjoy being outside unless the weather is cool and dry which is a rare event here. One of the reasons I enjoy traveling out west. And a big reason why we sold the big house and yard with all of the maintenance. Didn't want to spend my retirement out in the heat and humidity and didn't want to pay someone else to do it when I wouldn't be outside to enjoy it. So I'm one who doesn't spend as much time outside. Unless the weather is in my comfort zone: dry, some clouds, 60-80 degrees.

Before I retired a tad over 10 years ago, I spent about 50% of my work day outdoors and a good portion of my personal time outdoors as well. Since I retired, i spend most of my waking hours outdoors regardless of the weather. I normally walk 3-5 miles almost everyday, peddle the bike around for 1-1/2 to 2 hours a few times each week (weather permitting), and I always have plenty of outdoor work and project to keep me going around the ol' homestead.

If the weather hampers my peddling outdoors, I go to the gym and peddle there. I walk regardless of the weather, with the exception of during thunderstorms, I just dress accordingly. In fact my favorite walk was a couple years ago, in the dead of winter, it was very late on a crisp, clear 12 degree night. Hardly anyone in the area was still awake, and I went for a nice 2 mile walk in the peace and quiet of a winter wonderland. And besides the walking and peddling, the outdoor work here at the ol' homestead a year 'round necessity that I absolutely love!!!

Back
Top Bottom