Spent a week in Texas

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
We flew down to Texas for a week. We stayed at Fredericsburg Tx at the Hangar Hotel. From there we also spent a day at Austin and San Antonio. I'm having a hard time getting the wife to go anywhere in the travel trailer now.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 13
We are also considering this as a possible place to move to. We have to make the trip down again in the summer and see how it compares to St. Louis.

We used to live in the St. Louis area. ...got transferred to TX about 19 years ago.

What we miss the most about St Louis would first be our friends. Then, the four seasons, small ponds/rivers for fishing, trees, fried raviolli and of course Ted Drewes custard. :)

We flew down to Texas for a week. We stayed at Fredericsburg Tx at the Hangar Hotel. From there we also spent a day at Austin and San Antonio. I'm having a hard time getting the wife to go anywhere in the travel trailer now.

Way cool hotel! Is that actually a functioning airport?

Be sure & check out the east Texas pineywoods when you get a chance...

(Crockett, Lufkin, Nacogdoches etc.)

Way cool hotel! Is that actually a functioning airport?
Looks like it. The pictures show mostly antique planes. Central Texas has its "Confederate Air Force" of enthusiasts flying a lot of old WWII planes. You might be out for a leisurely drive on a Saturday in the Hill Country, and suddenly get buzzed by a Zero, followed by a B-17 Bomber. You just never know!!!

Fredericksburg is a very cool place. Really - the entire Central Texas Hill Country is very cool [though it does get blazingly hot in the summer].

But I didn't know about that hotel - it looks pretty new*. The interior pictures look fabulous. The park across from it is a great RV camping spot.

*Actually built in 2002. I can't believe I missed that!

Last edited:
Yes, it is an operational airport. The photo of the hotel looks like it was taken from dm's plane.

Yes it was, and next to the hotel is the airport diner. And I got my rental car from the motor pool. Everyone there was very nice.

Oh...I forgot one more thing I miss about MO...the dirt. :blush:

In my area it's the pits.

I will have to check it out. I'm fixin' to head to that area for a week, myself, to make the rounds of Austin/Houston/Alice kinfolk and a couple of new babies.

I hope it's nice weather!

Fredericksburg Texas Online - Willow City Loop
Late March. Mid-March to mid-April is usually the window, provided there has been rain over the winter. Other wildflowers come on later so even late April and May are nice, but you won't see as many bluebonnets.

Late March. Mid-March to mid-April is usually the window, provided there has been rain over the winter.
The bluebonnet crop isn't looking too good around us - not enough rain. I have a large area in front of our house I seeded with bluebonnets a few years ago and I watch their progress over each winter. With adequate rainfall they sprout in October and remain semi-dormant over the winter (plants about the size of a half dollar). We had some rain in October and they were looking good, but with no real rainfall to speak of since looks like a sub-par year for TX wildflowers in the Hill Country.

The bluebonnet crop isn't looking too good around us - not enough rain. I have a large area in front of our house I seeded with bluebonnets a few years ago and I watch their progress over each winter. With adequate rainfall they sprout in October and remain semi-dormant over the winter (plants about the size of a half dollar). We had some rain in October and they were looking good, but with no real rainfall to speak of since looks like a sub-par year for TX wildflowers in the Hill Country.

That's too bad. I lived in Bastrop & Austin for 15 years, and the 26 mile drive between the Air Force base where I worked near Austin was beautiful when the bluebonnets & Indian Paintbrushes were blooming. I also owned a 3 1/3 acre piece of ground out in the country between Bastrop & Smithville, where we built a house. It was covered in several types of wildflowers, plus a few mesquites, and one gigantic old pecan tree.

We are also considering this as a possible place to move to. We have to make the trip down again in the summer and see how it compares to St. Louis.

We live east of Fredricksburg. It's beautiful countryside. Yeah, the summer heat can last too long for some, but the mild winters make up for it. I can't say I enjoy the scorpions in the house- fortunately haven't ever been bit. Also we discovered a coral snake in our bedroom last summer- glad I didn't step on it during the night...

I'm having a hard time getting the wife to go anywhere in the travel trailer now.

Don't blame her. My wife hates camping, using the caravan dunny, sharing toilets.

So our holidays are slightly more expensive, but when she's happy, I am at peace to enjoy my wine and just chill.:LOL:

We live east of Fredricksburg. It's beautiful countryside. Yeah, the summer heat can last too long for some, but the mild winters make up for it. I can't say I enjoy the scorpions in the house- fortunately haven't ever been bit. Also we discovered a coral snake in our bedroom last summer- glad I didn't step on it during the night...

OK. I am a native Texan, and I have very strong memories of a snake in my lap at age 5 (a BIG fat garter snake that met a quick demise at the chopping end of a hoe, but still....), of scorpions in the house, of tarantulas on the back porch, and of tornado warnings swirling around, with us hiding in the closet. Hurricanes weren't so scary; they were kind of exciting. Boarded up windows, mattresses against the windows inside. It was like building a fort. I guess my dad made it seem kinda fun.

I am scared to death of snakes. Rattlesnakes, but now I remember also hearing about coral snakes. More for my dogs, though, than for myself.

I live in California now, where my dad moved us when I was about 12.
I feel more Californian than Texan.

HOWEVER.

At one point Dad moved back to TX, to Kerrville, when I was just ready to start college, and I have good memories of that area for a short time (even with the scorpion skittering across the kitchen floor. GAH.) before I returned to CA.

And I was back there in Austin in March '09 and I have very sweet memories of bluebonnets and a very gentle breeze. I would like to see the bluebonnets again.

I have roots down in Alice, my dad's mom's grandparents are buried in 2 little cemeteries just NE of Luling, and just after I stop in City Market for some Lockhart sausage -- which is a National Treasure, as far as I am concerned -- I am heading to the cemeteries, for the first time.

And that's just this next week. DH already knows that I plan to pack up him and the dogs and head back a little later in the spring. Maybe then we will catch some bluebonnets.

Apparently, "you can take the girl out of Texas....."

Hook 'em, Horns!

Back
Top Bottom