Sports car?

Wow.. Blast from the past... The first car I bought was a 1978 Fiat Spyder (fix-it-again-tony). Fun as hell to drive and got a lot of attention back then, but the most unreliable car I have ever owed. Did a lot of the work myself. It was fun... Loved it so much I kept it for 12 years... Only car I felt sad selling...

I remember test driving a Fiat X 1/9... very glad I did not buy... from what I read it would have been the worst car ever built except the Yugo came along...

I've been eyeing used Miata's.

I have a 1999 Miata that I bought used back in 2002. Miata's tend to be cheap to keep (very reliable, cheaper repairs, and low insurance rates), as long as you stay away from neglected ones. Rust can be a problem so watch out for ones in the rust belt states.

And if you get one, forum.miata.net will be invaluable. :)

I bought a 79 MG Midget brand new....when Ms. gamboolgal and I were dating. What a fun little car that was.....she looked good in it with the top down....

We sold it when the 1st baby came afew years later.

After 40 years and counting in the oil patch of abusing body like alot of young men do....arthritis, hernia's, neck fusion / screwed together, etc....I am too stiff and can't even think about getting in and out of a sports car...

youth....... ha..... Fortunately, Ms. gamboolgal has aged well and is a beautiful mother and lady.

Life is good....and will be much better in a couple of years when we retire....

I have to admit I do get amusement from seeing the old men my age, fat and balding with their ponytails flapping in the breeze in the cars that they could not afford decades before....all good stuff and good on'em ! Glad they are able to have fun !

my 2013 Miata was my retirement car and wae were perfectly happy with it. it was the perfect car for us. it was the most fun per mile of any car I had ever driven. We loved it...until I bought the vette. I have not had a regret!

Attachments

• 115 (3).jpg
    115 (3).jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 0430171332.jpg
    0430171332.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 62
Kitesurfer2 I am down the road south of you. I have a BMW Series 3 at the moment. I like it so much I just ordered the new BMW 330i TT. Having owned "Real" sports cars all my life and pretty much grown out of them now, this is a great substitute.

I'm currently looking for a gently used 2015 or 2016 Acura TLX. It's more of a sport luxury than a true sports car.

One of the things you can do is buy a nice sport sedan...

I owned a '97 Firebird Formula 350.... it was quick for the times and handled pretty well... but was a piece of junk if you wanted reliability...

In '04 bought a nice Acura TL 6 speed... it has more HP, but less torque... it was quicker to 60 and 1/4 mile than the Firebird... it had HP tires and handled better... and to top it all of it was a 4 door!!!

So, unless you want to get rip roaring acceleration, I would go with a practical car most of the time that had the extra ability to give you some fun.... I hate these cars, but lots of people buy BMWs to get just that...

I still have my 2004 Acura TL 6 speed. Great car and very reliable. Since it only has 94,000 miles, hoping to keep it for quite awhile longer. One irritant though is the dashboard which is starting to crack. This is a common issue with this version of the TL. When I called Acura corp., the best they would do is to pay for 1/2 the cost for a replacement (1/2 being approx. $850). Quite candidly, I was not too happy since I think a known defect should be covered 100%. Still not fixed.

Well....we bought it.

Standard Boxster 718 (about 300 hp), one month old with under 500 miles on the clock. 14% discount on list.

Pictures to follow.

Just bought a 2002 Bmw Z3 roadster. 3.0 liter. 85,000 miles. It can fly. Plan on doing most of the work myself with the assistance of a buddy and YouTube.

"its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow"...says everyone with slow cars :)

Well....we bought it.

Standard Boxster 718 (about 300 hp), one month old with under 500 miles on the clock. 14% discount on list.

Pictures to follow.

Congratulations and enjoy it!

my 2013 Miata was my retirement car and wae were perfectly happy with it. it was the perfect car for us. it was the most fun per mile of any car I had ever driven. We loved it...until I bought the vette. I have not had a regret!
I have driven a Fiat 500, Mazda Miata and a C7 Z06 Vette and have to say, (in my opinion) I can't really compare them as they're so different with the C7 Vette, being the most fun as well as challenging and exciting.

Got a fast motorcycle , a very fast motorcycle and all I ever do is drive the speed limit . I got a ticket when I first got it and it wasn't worth it .

I once got pulled over in Waller County Texas for doing 166 mph . I started arguing with the officer that my bike wouldn't go that fast . His radar showed 166 . He did not give me a ticket because in Waller county on a Sunday evening he was the only officer on duty . To this day I can tell you my bike cannot and will not do 166 MPH . His radar was really messed up. On the radar there are two speeds listed how fast I was going and how fast the officer was going . It showed he went 171mph to catch up with me in a Ford Crown VIC.

Got a fast motorcycle , a very fast motorcycle and all I ever do is drive the speed limit . I got a ticket when I first got it and it wasn't worth it .

I once got pulled over in Waller County Texas for doing 166 mph . I started arguing with the officer that my bike wouldn't go that fast . His radar showed 166 . He did not give me a ticket because in Waller county on a Sunday evening he was the only officer on duty . To this day I can tell you my bike cannot and will not do 166 MPH . His radar was really messed up. On the radar there are two speeds listed how fast I was going and how fast the officer was going . It showed he went 171mph to catch up with me in a Ford Crown VIC.

Heh, heh, that would have been a fun (well, interesting) citation to contest in court. Glad he dropped it.

I must admit, I would love an Aston Martin Vantage V12, but talk about a Garage Queen. No place to drive it. No place to maintain it for a sensible price. Totally impractical.

But man do they look good........ I just have to be happy that I can buy one cash if I ever wanted too. I do that a lot these days.

Had BMW Series 3 convertible during my last position, and kept it for a year after retirement then sold it because it spent too much time in the garage because I was walking and hiking rather than driving. Great little car! I took out the rear headrests and installed the rear windscreen that simulated a 2-seater.

Well....we bought it.

Pictures to follow.

Awesome.. Welcome to the Porsche club. Having owned a Boxster for over 8 years I know you will not be disappointed. They keep getting better and better each year. 300HP/280lbs-ft torque from a 4cyl 2.0L turbo is amazing and with a curb weight of 2944-lbs it is more power then you will ever need. Enjoy!!

I often think about getting something a little sportier than my current ride (Infiniti G37) but living in the metro Atlanta area tends to tell me that's a terrible idea. So, perhaps a convertible G37 will fit that bill...

I still have my 2004 Acura TL 6 speed. Great car and very reliable. Since it only has 94,000 miles, hoping to keep it for quite awhile longer. One irritant though is the dashboard which is starting to crack. This is a common issue with this version of the TL. When I called Acura corp., the best they would do is to pay for 1/2 the cost for a replacement (1/2 being approx. $850). Quite candidly, I was not too happy since I think a known defect should be covered 100%. Still not fixed.

I am surprised they offered you half as old as it is... they did not warranty the part forever... it made it through the warranty period and they could tell you to pound sand...

Mine had less than 50K miles on it when I totaled it out.... BUT... last night I got an email from my insurance putting in a claim on it!!! I totaled it out a few years ago and it was not worth fixing... but someone did...

The insurance guy just called me a few minutes ago and we talked... I said it was YOUR car since you paid me for it... he said that they can take the VIN and do a search on all insurance it ever had and it seems that I was the last person to insure it... he said he will take care of it and remove if totally from my record...

Bought our first sports car in 1968... It was a '63 TBird...IMHO, still the purtiest car design.

Now, looking at the Ferrari 812 Superfast...

Last edited:
I see a couple of you are familiar with the BMW Z series. As mentioned above, I help out a friend by "exercising" their 2006 Z4.

To me, the steering feels "notchy," and I'm wondering if this is normal. I.E., it feels like it wants to stay centered until I give it a bit of a tug.

Now when I take a turn it is a joy, but I'm not at all familiar with the BMW feel. Additionally, my last experience with a rear wheel drive car was with 70's era American barges (Caprice, Catalina, etc.)

I'm wondering if something isn't sticky in the geometry, or if it is just my unfamiliarity with the car and brand.

Talking about Miatas: Anyone tried the RF yet?

Love the concept and styling of the RF. Looked at one when shopping for a new daily driver. It is a tiny car, and the idea of mixing it up in traffic with the SUVs and diesel pickups in my area was unnerving. The interior was too cramped, no storage in the cabin, tiny trunk.

Thought about running groceries in it and a weekend trip with the GF, and declined the offer to drive it.

Back
Top Bottom