Sprint 8

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anybody heard of or tried an exercise program called Sprint 8. It basically is an interval program where you go hard for 30 seconds and then rest or jog in place for 90 seconds. It is a 20 minute workout where basically all the work is done in 8 sprint sessions lasting a total of 4 minutes. I'm going to give it a try today.

It is a variant/type of high intensity interval training. The studies are pretty impressive on this type of conditioning.

I have been doing variations of this for a long time after years of long-term steady state aerobics. The aerobics was a total waste of time that nearly killed me. The interval style training has caused me to age in reverse by comparison.

I'd agree that the FIIT style of exercise seems very beneficial. I ride a series of 'rollers' on a road bike. 15 to 25 miles daily. These rollers are long enough/steep enough to bring my heart rate close to max over roughly 10 minute intervals.
I find that I'm much more prepared for the endurance rides that I participate in over the summer months.

Actual all out sprinting is a great way to stay fit and build muscle. Sprint > walk > repeat x/times. Its a full body workout. I have incorporated that into my weight training during the off season when I am not playing softball.

Intervals are always good. Any exercise is good, but you have to do it.

When I ran cross country, way back in 1978, the coach made us do a 2 x 440 sprint, then a 1 x 440 walk. And repeat it 5 times (15 x 440=3.75 miles). That's when we did not run the outside short lap of 6 miles, or the long lap of 8 miles...

It should be good.

Any exercise is good, but you have to do it.

Excellent aphorism. Those who obsess over strict form (except as t applies to injury avoidance) or strict numbers or strict frequency rules are really missing the point. I went through a nearly 10 yr spell of bad health and had to go through a lengthy period of rebuilding. Adhering to some petulant exercise orthodoxy seemed to cause more problems than it solved.

Constructing my own menu and recipe from relevant fitness and health gurus and their regimens always cleared up the problem and allowed me to progress. My lesson learned was exercise really needs to be individualized more than most people realize. Especially as we age. Maybe in boot camp that "everybody run 2 miles and do 100 pushups" routine can be made to work but after 50 or so you're gonna have to pick your spots.

Back
Top Bottom