SS and Local tax...question

JohnDoe

Recycles dryer sheets
Is SS taxed at the local level and if so, what line does it go on? This person had no other income. Just a SSA-1099.

TIA.

Not where I live. Would be very surprised if it was taxable anywhere - I suggest you check your local laws to be sure.

Where is local? Not here in Ohio. With 0 income other than SSA filing no return is necessary. But for the "great rebate of 2008" they will have to file a FEDERAL return. Why do they have to file a "local" return? Suggest getting the FREE TaxAct download at File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT and following the form and instructions. E-Filing is also FREE using that program. FREE is GOOD.

I already filed their Fed and State(pa) using turbo tax. I do about 6 peoples taxes, but it's only Fed and State. The only local tax return I have ever done was my own.

After reading through the instructions, it looked like there was no income or tax. I will call the local tax office on Monday to see if they need to file at all.

Thanks.

I do not know about local taxes for cities in PA but here in Dublin Ohio they do have a 2% local income tax on EARNED Income. If you have only pension, Military Retirement, SS, Interest and Dividends there is not even a need to file a tax return. You submit a report to the taxing authority one time that you are EXEMPT from filing - and forget about it every year UNLESS you get earned income IN DUBLIN OH. Also the city of Dublin has a on-line process to prepare the return if required. Maybe the town there in PA does also.

Back
Top Bottom