SS New Online Representative Payee

latexman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last edited:
Social Security's new tool allows those who are applying for Social Security benefits, and those who are receiving them, to advance designate a representative payee. In fact, you have the opportunity to choose up to three individuals who could serve in this role.

For those of us already receiving SSA retirement benefits, how is this any better than having an authorized person on the bank account that the monthly benefit gets automatically deposited in?

A representative payee is someone who receives and manages your Social Security payments on your behalf if you become unable to manage them yourself.
It seems to me that there are a few hoops must be jumped through before the "representative payee" to be recognized by the SSA. I don't think this is the best way to handle this situation.

It sounds like they made an old established paper process more convenient to me. More accessable too, that's good and bad.

When you advance designate a representative payee, that person doesn't get control over your benefits immediately. Designating an advanced payee doesn't confer power of attorney, so your chosen person doesn't have the authority to do anything right away. That all means that you'll retain flexibility over time, but you'll still be protected in case of your future incapacity since Social Security will know who you want to entrust with your hard-earned benefits.

It seems to add a layer of protection to me.

I don't think it is uncommon to do this with one's CCRC. What if the spouse who does the finances/bill paying kicks the bucket first? It makes it easier for the other spouse. Especially, if they have no children or no one to step in.

It's not for everyone, but I see where it can work for a good many.

For those of us already receiving SSA retirement benefits, how is this any better than having an authorized person on the bank account that the monthly benefit gets automatically deposited in?

If anything additional needs done, such as changing an address or changing the bank account information, the person receiving the benefits must do it. If they are incapable, then a representative payee needs appointed.

It seems to me that there are a few hoops must be jumped through before the "representative payee" to be recognized by the SSA. I don't think this is the best way to handle this situation.

I see this as a benefit. When MIL entered a nursing home with demenita, FIL was already there, coherent, but disabled. We had to have him sign off before DH could could be the representative to pay the bills for her. That had to be notarized and then an appointment set up at the SS office. Getting this in order for us in advance of a possible need is I think a plus.

I am questioning because MIL has placed SIL as a co-owner in joint tenancy on MIL's bank account. SIL can pay all bills etc. while MIL is still alive. SIL is also her agent as Durable Power of Attorney with no restrictions. DW is successor agent on that DPOA. I think that all of the bases are covered without the SSA "Representative" as a possible conflicting document. Is that not right?

It appears that I am wrong. The SSA does not recognize a POA.

We presume an adult is capable to manage his or her own benefits. If it appears this may not be true, we gather evidence to decide if we need to appoint a representative payee.

and

The Treasury Department does not recognize power of attorney for negotiating federal payments, including Social Security or SSI checks.

This means, if you have power of attorney for someone who is incapable of managing his or her own benefits, you must still apply to serve as his or her payee.

It looks like I am wrong. So far, MIL is still competent.

Back
Top Bottom