SSA Spouse

ransil

Recycles dryer sheets
Looking at my in-laws SSA number my FIL pulls in $2500 and MIL is at $900 shouldn't MIL be getting half of his?
does the SSA office figure out best interest of the client or is this like any other .gov agency that does the bare minimum.

I don't have exact figures but this is off his financial spreadsheet that is not that great.

MIL would get 1/2 of his FRA amount IF, she waited until her FRA to collect. If she started early, it is reduced. If he waited until 70 then his FRA amount would be less than $2500. Just a couple of possible reasons.

If she claimed on her own record before he claimed on his, then I don't think her prior claim would automatically be adjusted after he applied. I think she has to apply for benefits on his record once he starts collecting. They should probably visit an SS office to make sure they are both getting the max they're entitled to.

Looking at my in-laws SSA number my FIL pulls in $2500 and MIL is at $900 shouldn't MIL be getting half of his?
does the SSA office figure out best interest of the client or is this like any other .gov agency that does the bare minimum.

I don't have exact figures but this is off his financial spreadsheet that is not that great.
As others mentioned, that may be in the ball park because she would only get 50% of his PIA, not his benefit and only if she waited until her FRA before starting benefits.

Is your MIL affected by the WEP or the GPO?

Back
Top Bottom