Staying the Course?

Are you staying the course so far (and in the foreseeable future)/

• I am maintaining or increasing my equity holdings

Votes: 209 90.5%
  • I am slowly/rapidly decreasing my equity holdings moving to cash or other safer holdings

Votes: 22 9.5%

• Total voters
DCA into retirement accounts. If the major indexes drop another 5%, I will be buying Spyders and Diamonds and Cubes, oh my.........:)

Here are the emails from my wife:

Vanguard is down to 29.94

We bought dodge and cox at 50.47. it is currently at 38.65

I just finished increasing our weekly investments.

That's why I like her.

Here are the emails from my wife:

Vanguard is down to 29.94

We bought dodge and cox at 50.47. it is currently at 38.65

I just finished increasing our weekly investments.

That's why I like her.

Haha, doesn't mess around, straight to the point. She is a straight shooter with upper management written all over her.

Still 100% SP 500 index funds. When I am employed again, I will be tempted to set my 401(k) contribution to 50% of my salary for a while to take advantage of what seems to be a buying opportunity as well as to max it out for 2008.

2Cor521

I'm buying in my SEPP and 401k every pay period. I'm glad I've become a fixed asset allocator at 60/40. My instinct for the last 20 or 30 S&P points has been to go 100% equities. So far, I've successfully resisted the urge. I was 90% until last August. I guess in retrospect I was a genius. :rolleyes:

BTW - Initial earnings are beating consensus and last years earnings. Overall, things look pretty good in the first week of earnings season. None of this seems to matter for more than a few seconds. Everyone is too busy panicing about what might happen to the financial stocks. If it continues its current decline, Bank of America should be at zero by the time its earning are actually announced on July 21. That ought to be a wild day for BAC.

We are 45% cash and have been so for years so it's not been quite so terrifying to see the markets plunge. I must admit we are sleeping better at night to know that nearly half of our portfolio is earning 8%.

Dangermouse, where is cash getting 8%? Inquiring minds want to know...

I'm pretty impressed that 90% of posters are staying the course! It's been a pretty scary downturn so far.

Good to know I'm in good company even if I am insane.....

Audrey

I'm pretty impressed that 90% of posters are staying the course! It's been a pretty scary downturn so far.

Audrey

Im going down with the ship. Maybe we could have a band playing on the deck!

Staying the course according to [-]the asset allocation I pulled out of my ass[/-] my scientifically chosen asset allocation. IGR was triggered today, so I bought 350 shares. Otherwise, [-]sinking[/-] holding fast...

Audrey

I think polls/threads such as this one would be much more informative (at least to me) if they included information as to each posters retirement status. Has the board ever considered adding this information? Could it be done like the 'dryer sheet' icon?

It seems as though 'staying the course' is different for someone ten years from retirement and one who is already retired.

Would anyone else be interested?

BTW I'm retired and staying the course. :)

Biker Dude,

I agree with your suggestion 100%. It is frustrating to not know the retirement status of the posters. To me it adds a great deal more context to people's questions and answers.

I am planning to retire in about 1 year and am staying the course and planning to buy additional equity this week (DCA).

Have not touched mine. 20 years until I start withdrawing. I still contribute 18% of my salary and have not changed the asset allocations in a year+.

A few years from F/T retirement but still aggressively rebalancing my 70/30 portfolio. The good news is that I think I have enough realized capital losses to last a lifetime.

Same here - I rebalanced (bought more equities) even though I am already retired.

BTW - this is my second bear market since retiring. During 2000-2002 I had the (good fortune?) to be averaging into the market. This time I get to experience a bear market while fully invested. :eek:

Audrey

I think polls/threads such as this one would be much more informative (at least to me) if they included information as to each posters retirement status. Has the board ever considered adding this information? Could it be done like the 'dryer sheet' icon?

It seems as though 'staying the course' is different for someone ten years from retirement and one who is already retired.

Would anyone else be interested?

During the early period on this board people more or less knew one another's status. Who was retired, who had COLA pensions, whose husbands or wives were still working at professional careers, etc. But there are so many people now that it gets confusing.

FYI, I am single, retired for over 20 years, no pension or SS (though I will take SS eventually)-and I would not even consider selling any equities now, other than to realize tax losses and re-deploy into similar investments. I have not even done any of this. Of course I have handpicked my stocks, and they almost all are income producers. It is conceivable and maybe even likely that I would never need to sell stocks for living expenses.

I had a lot of cash reserves, some of which I have invested too early it seems. But one almost never does investing optimally. Good enough is an adequate target.

Ha

I'm retired and bear markets always make me nauseous but I stay the course . I do have a moderate cola pension and ss survivor benefits . I've been investing since the early 80's so I 've experienced the markets wild ride and frankly I hate roller coasters .

warning: complete and utter noob post; please ignore

I've lost a lot since buying the index fund, but I'm still looking forward to dumping everything I've saved since then into the same fund as soon as possible (based on my understanding of the underlying idea of 'Who knows when it will start going back up?'). The only thing that's causing me to hesitate is the cost of a dollar in yen dropping the last few days and the tantalizing thought that it might continue to drop. I guess I shouldn't be greedy and just do it now while it's at least lower than last week.

I am still w*rking and would like to stop in four or five years but who knows.

I had been around 53% equities and increasing to 59% when the recent drop started so I guess I was already in defensive posture. I sold some China funds last fall when they were high and also dumped some left over loser from the tech boom.

In the past month I have added about 1% US total market index, 1% asia and china, 1% latin america and .5% africa and middle east. I also put all of my 401K deposits into diversified international. I am now at about 58% equity with about 39% international.

I am trying to get some VNQ REIT and I bought 1% more yesterday but I only have about 2.5% in REIT and hope to add more up to 5% or 7% as a hedge against expected inflation.

I will probably buy more of all in the next few months. As someone recently wrote "Don't worry if you miss buying at the bottom. You will have a lot more chances in the next few months.".

Last edited:
Added pertinents to my sig... still working ("Well, I wouldn't call it working, Bob"), two incomes, no kids, etc.

Single, 53.92 yo, nw about 05.mil...

[-]Canned[/-] Retired from semiconductor megaconglomocorp with subsidized health insurance. Now re-employed :'( and will be eligible for a modest non-cola pension in five years. Target is five years, when I'll be eligible for the aforementioned pension, and close to 59.5, then 62...

Mr. Market is currently horse-laughing at my plan.

401K: 10% IGR, 10% PCRIX, 15% SP500, 10% RUSS2K, 10% VGK, 10% VPL, 10% VWO, 20% ST BOND, 5% CASH.
ROTH: VISVX
TAXABLE: VTSMX, VMMXX

Went 100% stocks and figure having cash sitting around right now is kinda dumb...put more to work...

I have two accounts. The Vanguard is all index and 60/40. Looking at it two days ago, I was down about 4% from when I retired March of 2007. I was DCA'ing into stock up until last week when I ran out of MM funds.

My other account is mostly index bonds, with a little index equities. I live off of this account and it is down about 30% since March of 2007. That includes my withdrawls. I have another 3 years left in it, but watching it shrink through withdrawls without seeing the other account increase is a little nerve racking.

Last edited:
reading some rumblings today that we may be close to the end of this bear market. theory is that we'll see the SP500 take one more dive to 1180 or so and it's off to the races

Last edited:
I voted maintaining - although in reality we're slipping behind on our targeted 80:20 AA as the market losses exceed our ability to keep up ^-^

Still accumulating and ~ 10 years from RE

DD

Back
Top Bottom