Stock Market Valuations and Entry Point...........

Re: Stock Market Valuations and Entry Point.......

Think of me as a Libertarian martini with a pro-life twist.

Is this the 'twist' you are referring to?

'Abortion is a moral right--which should be left to the sole discretion of the woman involved; morally, nothing other than her wish in the matter is to be considered. Who can conceivably have the right to dictate to her what disposition she is to make of the functions of her body?' --Ayn Rand

this too..
http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=2404

Nope! I understand the various positions. For me,
abortion is murder. That's it. And, I am not even religious. I accept that life begins at conception.

JG

JG, you remind me of a couple of my employees. They don't want rules to apply to them and believe they are somehow exempt. However, they have a list of rules they believe should apply to everyone else.

I used to be pro abortion. No more. I've seen ladies regretting having an abortion five or ten years after. By regretting I mean consumed with guilt to the point of not being able to function.

Besides you can't have human life without conception then it follows that life begins at conception and further that abortion is murder.

The only question I have is do you take a life to save a life in the case that the mother will die as a result of the pregnancy.

Oh yes I have only been in a Church a few times in the last twenty years and that was for weddings or funerals.

Bruce

Not so Martha! That would be hypocritical. I would
prefer for the government to stay the hell out of my life
(and yours) to the largest extent possible. The best government is the least government IMHO. That said,
I don't want them telling you what to do any more than
me. That doesn't change my position on abortion though. Here's the deal. It's interesting to talk about
what we would prefer, but we must live or die in the
world as it is. People ask me how I can take money from
the government (SS for example) feeling as I do.
It's easy. First, it's my money. Second, even if it wasn't
I would take all I could get as they are going to waste
it anyway. The main point though, is that I have very
strong opinons on almost everything. That does not
mean I want more "rules" to force you
(or anyone else) to do it my way. I am just exercising
my First Amendent rights while I still have them.

Clear as mud?

JG

By regretting I mean consumed with guilt to the point of not being able to function.

Minors are not even allowed to buy alcohol, because they are considered too young to make sensible decisions with regard to such things. Yet in some places they are allowed to make such life altering decisions without their parents even being notified. Young girls don't always realize what they are doing. People are desinged to bond emotionally with their children, and protect them. This emotional bond can be much stronger than many young girls realize it will be. Some young women can really hurt themselves by killing their children.

Not so Martha! That would be hypocritical. I would
prefer for the government to stay the hell out of my life
(and yours) to the largest extent possible. The best government is the least government IMHO. That said,
I don't want them telling you what to do any more than
me. That doesn't change my position on abortion though. . . . The main point though, is that I have very
strong opinons on almost everything. That does not
mean I want more "rules" to force you
(or anyone else) to do it my way. I am just exercising
my First Amendent rights while I still have them.

Clear as mud?

I know we are all treading on very dangerous ground here and I am not going to get involved in any moral argument. But John, are you saying that you personally believe life begins at conception thus any voluntary pregnancy termination after that day is murder, (even taking a morning after pill) but, you don't want more rules to force people to do things your way or anyone elses' way, so it nevertheless wouldn't be a crime to have an abortion? I am curious not because of the moral issues involved but the libertarian philisophical issues.

Hi Martha. "Dangerous ground" indeed..............

Without getting into the "morning after pill" argument
(splitting hairs exceedingly fine), I can see both sides of the issue. I believe life begins at conception and so, termination of that life is "murder". I did not always feel this way. Anyway, I do not want the
government forcing women to do anything.
That would be the greater evil IMHO. So, Ayn Rand
and I agree that the government should stay out of it,
but disagree on the moral implications.

JG

Geez, is this a great Board or what!. Start a thread on stock market valuation and end up squabbling about immigration, the economic fate of the nation and abortion all at the same time. Wow.

Getting back to market valuation for just a minute, this really is the basic investment question isnt it? When is a good time to invest? When is a good time to steer clear?

I go back to my old finance textbook to wrestle around with this issue. Managerial Finance Weston and Brigham 2nd Edition 1966. Things were different in those days.
Those guys preached valuing DIVIDENDS. Heres a quote for you from Appendix A to Chapter 12 A Discussion of the Theory of Valuing Common Stocks:

It will be shown that dividends, and only dividends, go into the calculation of the intrinsic value of common stocks held as investments.

They spend a lot of time expounding different formulas for growth in earnings and DIVIDENDS vs no growth in earnings and DIVIDENDS vs super normal growth in earnings and DIVIDENDS.

Bottom line is you need an estimate of the holding period, the future flow of dividends, and a capitalization rate.

Now we can throw some numbers at this but any way you shake it the S&P 500 is way overvalued relative to any reasonable holding period ( eg., your remaining expected lifetime), future dividend flow and any sensible capitalization rate.

I think this is why Warren Buffet and Bill Gross are not loading up on the S&P 500.

Those guys preached valuing DIVIDENDS.

The S&P doesn't generate enough dividends to support the majority of retirees, which is what it is now being asked to do. The yield could go lower yet.

Hi Michael! I wondered if someone would ask this,
but am puzzled. Who exactly are you suggesting is "asking" the S and P dividends to support
"the majority of retirees"?

JG

Start a thread on stock market valuation and end up squabbling about immigration, the economic fate of the nation and abortion all at the same time. Wow.

The phrase "safe withdrawal rate" means different things to different people. Shrinks might want to make use of it if they ever tire of using inkblots to find out what is going on in a patient's psyche.

SWR.........Sometimes Wandering Rants?

JG

Who exactly are you suggesting is "asking" the S and P dividends to support "the majority of retirees"?

A variety of people. The politicians want to dump Social Security, and have private accounts invested heavily in the S&P replace it. Myriad corporations are dumping traditional retirement plans, and replacing them with 401k plans invested heavily in equities. A lot of financial consultants tell people to invest in equities for inflation protection. Tax law pretty much limints the choices in IRAs to equities, bonds, and gold coins. The net result is that the majority will be depending upon equites for their retirement. Except you of course. :)

Wow Michael! As Tony Soprano would say, "Oh poor me!"

No use whining. If the rock in the ER road is too big to move, find a way to get around it. IOW, play the hand you're dealt.

JG

If you're going to analyize dividends on the SP500 you need to do so relative to interest rates and inflation. Personally, I'd rather defer dividend payments as I have better control of taxes.

Since nobody has risen to the bait, let me put a little meat on the bones of my argument that the S&P 500 is overvalued at this point vis a vis any reasonable calculation of intrinsic value.

I returned to yesteryear to dredge up the old fashion notion that what the average investor ought to be valuing is a stream of future dividends. I have never been in Missouri but I like their State motto. To get me to invest in anything you gotta show me the money. Earning are nice. Sales revenue is nice. But show me the money. Show me the dividends I am going to get out of this deal. To value that stream you need a holding period and appropriate capitalization rate. So lets examine the elements.

Dividends. S&P reports that the 500 returned $178 billion in dividends in the 12 months ended Sep 30, 2004. That’s up about 16% from the previous 12 month period. (Thank you GW for investor friendly tax reform) We have to make a guesstimate about how that dividend stream is going to grow in the future. Just for fun, lets throw out that last 16% spurt and focus on the preceeding 15 years which reflect an average dividend growth rate of 5.7%. You might argue for a higher growth rate in dividends, but remember we are just having fun here.

Holding Period. You might argue that the S&P 500 is a perpetuity machine. But I personally, am not planning on living in perpetuity. I know some of the posters here are. But not me. Just for some more fun lets assume that the lights go out permanently in 30 years and no sense valuing dividend streams past the grave. So, if you punch that $178 billion of dividends out 30 years at a 5.7% average annual growth rate you get about $939 billion in dividends at the end of the last year of your life. Not bad so far.

Capitalization Rate. Heres where things get a bit tricky. Everybody has a different take on what constitutes a reasonable rate of return. I personally would start with my reasonably attainable long term risk free rate which is now about 4.5%. To that I would add another say 3% to cover inflation which gets us to 7.5%. On top of that I would have to get rewarded for assuming some market risk. Just for some more fun lets say you gotta give me 2.5% for my lost sleep bringing the total up to a nice round 10%.

Now my old pals Weston and Brigham used to argue that the price you should pay today for this dividend machine is the Net Present Value of the dividend stream plus the net present value of the market price of the asset at the end of the holding period (ie, at the end of 30 years). The NPV of my dividend stream growing at 5.7% with a 10% discount rate is about $3.0 trillion. They define the market price of the asset at the end of the holding period as the Dividend in the final year capitalized at the capitalization rate less the growth rate of the dividends or: P = D/(k-g) where P is the market price; D is the dividend; k is the required capitalization rate; and, g is the growth rate of the dividends. For me P = $939 billion/(.10-.057) = $21.837 trillion. The NPV of that $21.8 trillion 30 years from now discounted at 10% is $1.245 trillion. So, according to W and B, the intrinsic value of the S&P 500 dividend stream to me over my remaining estimated lifetime would be $3.025 trillion plus $1.245 trillion = $4.297 trillion.

Since nobody has risen to the bait, let me put a little meat on the bones of my argument that the S&P 500 is overvalued at this point vis a vis any reasonable calculation of intrinsic value.

I  returned to yesteryear to dredge up the old fashion notion that what the average investor ought to be valuing is a stream of future dividends.  I have never been in Missouri but I like their State motto.  To get me to invest in anything you gotta show me the money.  Earning are nice.  Sales revenue is nice.  But show me the money.  Show me the dividends I am going to get out of this deal.  To value that stream you need a holding period and appropriate capitalization rate.  So lets examine the elements.

Dividends.  S&P reports that the 500 returned $178 billion in dividends in the 12 months ended Sep 30, 2004.  That’s up about 16% from the previous 12 month period.  (Thank you GW for investor friendly tax reform) We have to make a guesstimate about how that dividend stream is going to grow in the future.  Just for fun, lets throw out that last 16% spurt and focus on the preceeding 15 years which reflect an average dividend growth rate of 5.7%.  You might argue for a higher growth rate in dividends, but remember we are just having fun here.  

Holding Period.   You might argue that the S&P 500 is a perpetuity machine.  But I personally, am not planning on living in perpetuity.  I know some of the posters here are.  But not me.  Just for some more fun lets assume that the lights go out permanently in 30 years and no sense valuing dividend streams past the grave.  So, if you punch that $178 billion of dividends out 30 years at a 5.7% average annual growth rate you get about $939 billion in dividends at the end of  the last year of your life.  Not bad so far.

Capitalization Rate.  Heres where things get a bit tricky.  Everybody has a different take on what constitutes a reasonable rate of return.  I personally would start with my reasonably attainable long term risk free rate which is now about 4.5%.  To that I would add another say 3% to cover inflation which gets us to 7.5%.  On top of that I would have to get rewarded for assuming some market risk.  Just for some more fun lets say you gotta give me 2.5% for my lost sleep bringing the total up to a nice round 10%.  

Now my old pals Weston and Brigham used to argue that the price you should pay today for this dividend machine is the Net Present Value of the dividend stream plus the net present value of the market price of the asset at the end of the holding period (ie, at the end of 30 years).  The NPV of my dividend stream growing at 5.7% with a 10% discount rate is about $3.0 trillion.   They define the market price of the asset at the end of the holding period as the Dividend in the final year capitalized at the capitalization rate less the growth rate of the dividends or:  P =  D/(k-g) where  P is the market price; D is the dividend; k is the required capitalization rate; and, g is the growth rate of the dividends.  For me P = $939 billion/(.10-.057) = $21.837 trillion.  The NPV of that $21.8 trillion 30 years from now discounted at 10% is $1.245 trillion.  So, according to W and B, the intrinsic value of the S&P 500 dividend stream to me over my remaining estimated lifetime would be $3.025 trillion plus $1.245 trillion = $4.297 trillion.

So!

The market value of the S&P 500 at 1213 on the index is about $11.5 trillion. So, for me, the market value would have to drop about 62% to hit my computed intrinsic value. That would imply an intrinsic value entry point into the S&P index at around 460 as compared to todays 1213.

Why the big difference? Well, to my way of thinking the markets implied capitalization rate is ridiculously low right now. The dividend yield is hovering around 1.7%. And that hasnt moved much in the last 15 or 20 years. All of us investors as a whole, the market, is saying to the thing we call the S&P 500 hey, its ok to return about 1.7% on this risk capital we give you year after year. We know something you dont know. We know these earnings and dividends are going to explode some day and we are going to get a really big payout somewhere (indefinite) down the line. We trust you managers of the S&P 500 to do the right thing by us investors sometime somewhere someplace in the future. That being the case, we as the market, can pay a lot more than any individual investor in his right mind would pay for this thing. While Donner with his 10% required rate of return is only willing to pay you $3 trillion for your reasonably expected stream of dividends over the next 30 years, we, the market, are willing to pay you something like $10 trillion for that stream. Plus you know what, we the market are always going to remain optimistic for ever and ever and we are going to put a market valuation on that $939 billion of dividends that Donner projects in year 30 reflecting the same 1.7% dividend yield implying a $55.2 trillion market capitalization in year 30. I wont bother telling you what the market, as a rational being, should be willing to pay today for a $55.2 trillion asset 30 years from now with a 1.7% capitalization rate. It doesn’t make any sane sense at all.

Something really big and bad is going to have to happen to this market to get it anywhere near a reasonable capitalization for the individual investor. The current market cap of $11.3 trillion reflects a reasonable intrinsic value of about half that ( depending on your individual required rate of return and your expectations of dividend growth) Now it is reasonable to assume that the market price of the S&P 500 is always going to reflect some premium to the reasonable intrinsic value of the thing. But even given that there is a pretty hefty layer of a few trillion of fevered imagination, irrational exuberance, bubble mania, speculative excess or whatever you want to call it in the current market cap. I believe it remains to be unwound in a pretty big correction coming sooner or later. Want to bet your retirement on it?

Cut- Throat asks: What if you are wrong? I would ask: What if I am right?

What if I am right?

Then, you'll probably die with more money than me. - I don't care what the market does, I'm still going fishing. :)

Most all of the posters' portfoilos here survive the Stock Drop of the 1929-1934 period where stocks lost 90% of their value. So, I am more worried about getting run over by a truck tomorrow than what the market is going to do in the next 10 years.

You're obviously worried about it, otherwise you would not have expended all of the efforts in the past couple of posts. :) Are you sure you want to live this way?

Cut--

You think maybe I am obsessive compulsive about market risk? :confused:

You are probably right. I should just have a tall cool one and go with the market flow and fuggedabout it! :D

Besides all this heavy thinking is wearing me out. Its late here on the high cost East Coast. Time for a good night's sleep which I will get with my fixed income portfolio. :D

No use whining.

Quite the contrary. I actually think the trends I mentioned could allow a person to make quite a lot of money in the market over the next few years, if they play it right.

Yeah Michael, and I might win the lottery. Come to think of it, that is exactly how I would view investing in
common stocks,
in my case.

Cut-Throat.............you continue to impress.
"So?" is one of your best comebacks ever (to Donner's post). I read his ruminations, but hurt my head when I dozed off
and fell on the keyboard :). Anyway, brevity really
is the soul of wit, and I agree. I just want to go fishing and ignore the DJIA.

JG

Most all of the posters' portfoilos here survive the Stock Drop of the 1929-1934 period where stocks lost 90% of their value.

It's not just the size of the drop that matters. You also need to consider how long the drop is likely to remain in place. The historical stock-return data shows that, the higher valuations are at the beginning of a 30-year returns sequence, the more damaging any price drop that occurs is likely to be. Valuations were a good bit higher in the late 1990s than they were prior to the 1929 price drop. So it is entirely possible that we will see a more damaging price drop than the one experienced from the top of the late 1920s, although it is of course exceedingly unlikely that we will see another 90 percent price drop.

I just want to go fishing and ignore the DJIA.

Then you should do that because it makes you happy. I ponder stocks because I enjoy pondering them.

Back
Top Bottom