Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

You: "I think I mean I wanted to buy a DJIA fund."?

You don't know what you meant?

-ERD50

I didn't want to look it up again. Between $INDU, DJIA, and all the other acronyms it gets confusing but I eventually bought the right thing.

220px-Forbidden-151987.svg.png

AOS dropped to my price so I got some. I just need a China deal now.

Damn Target. Is there an easy way to see what large companies didn't release their third quarter report yet? I tried estimating it but my estimate wasn't good enough.

Damn Target. Is there an easy way to see what large companies didn't release their third quarter report yet? I tried estimating it but my estimate wasn't good enough.

You're the guy telling us that trading individual stocks is better than buying & holding index funds. You tell us.

BTW, I know several very simple ways. It hard to believe you are actually asking this.

-ERD50

You're the guy telling us that trading individual stocks is better than buying & holding index funds. You tell us.

BTW, I know several very simple ways. It hard to believe you are actually asking this.

-ERD50

What I did was hear news about some company's quarterly report then wait two or three weeks and hope it's enough. It's better than nothing. I think did relatively well this month. I think the market will be up Tuesday afternoon but I want it to stay fairly low for the China meeting so Trump will be afraid of an additional hit to the market if he doesn't make a deal.

Tuesday afternoon has come and gone and the market did not go up.

How climate change will help our economy

Trump will want to make trade deals more than ever with the new climate change report. He needs good news. I'm glad I got some industrials stock.

Trump will want to make trade deals more than ever with the new climate change report. He needs good news. I'm glad I got some industrials stock.

Not sure how the report affects trade deals, but I've got industrials too. All of 'em.

-ERD50

"Today's change" is no longer up to date. Or maybe it never was but I've recently been noticing there's no way it could be correct. I check nasdaq.com for prices now.

"Today's change" is no longer up to date. Or maybe it never was but I've recently been noticing there's no way it could be correct. I check nasdaq.com for prices now.
It never was.

So I did well this month, but it's getting harder. Looks like Trump may be in trouble and that could last a while, plus I expect a mediocre trade deal that reminds me of when I lost money after Rite Aid's merger when it wasn't good enough for investors. I don't know how much of the S&P to hold and even buy and sell is trickier under these conditions. If I was ahead I'd just buy what nunnun has but I have to make up ground so I'll have to figure something out.

So I did well this month, but it's getting harder. Looks like Trump may be in trouble and that could last a while, plus I expect a mediocre trade deal that reminds me of when I lost money after Rite Aid's merger when it wasn't good enough for investors. I don't know how much of the S&P to hold and even buy and sell is trickier under these conditions. If I was ahead I'd just buy what nunnun has but I have to make up ground so I'll have to figure something out.
So you find yourself behind and your solution is to apply more of the techniques that got you behind in the first place?

All while acknowledging that your task at hand is getting harder and harder?!?

Unbelievable!!!

So you find yourself behind and your solution is to apply more of the techniques that got you behind in the first place?

All while acknowledging that your task at hand is getting harder and harder?!?

Unbelievable!!!

I think I did better than nunnun this past year. The effectiveness of my techniques shouldn't be defined by the meteorite impact that was Rite Aid. The techniques that got me behind were those I used in deciding to hold Rite Aid as long as I did and I won't be using those specific techniques again.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
-- Albert Einstein

“Fanaticism consists of redoubling your efforts when you have forgotten your aim.”
-- George Santayana

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
-- Will Rogers

Unless, of course, you have "a system."

I think I did better than nunnun this past year.
From 1/16/2018 to date, not quite, but closer than I'd have guessed. nunnun has not held much cash through the downdraft, whereas I think you have.

Attachments

• bohonunnun.JPG
    bohonunnun.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 19
So I did well this month, ...

Month's not over. 30 days hath November....

.... but it's getting harder. Looks like Trump may be in trouble and that could last a while, plus I expect a mediocre trade deal that reminds me of when I lost money after Rite Aid's merger when it wasn't good enough for investors. I don't know how much of the S&P to hold and even buy and sell is trickier under these conditions. ... .

So? I thought traders would look for ways to make money on any situation. Think things are going to be stable, short VIX, etc.

nunnun hasn't had to ask or act on any of those questions.

.... If I was ahead I'd just buy what nunnun has but I have to make up ground so I'll have to figure something out.

But you are not ahead. And that makes no more sense then the rest of your mumbo-jumbo. If trading is going to outperform nunnun, then you would do it if you were ahead or behind. Don't you like money?

Plus, there are ~ 7 players ahead of nunnun. The contest name is "Beat Boho", not "Beat nunnunn". You need to get past nunnunn by quite a bit to 'win'.

.... The effectiveness of my techniques shouldn't be defined by the meteorite impact that was Rite Aid. ...

Of course they should. You traded it. It's yours. It is your technique. You can't 'disown it', just because it was a bad trade. :facepalm:

.... The techniques that got me behind were those I used in deciding to hold Rite Aid as long as I did and I won't be using those specific techniques again.

No, you are on to other things. Like buying TGT before the earnings report, when you thought it was after the earnings report? There's an infinite number of ways to screw up.

Good Luck.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I thought traders would look for ways to make money on any situation. Think things are going to be stable, short VIX, etc....If trading is going to outperform nunnun, then you would do it if you were ahead or behind.

I look but I can't get a handle on every situation. OK, I decided the market will go up before down so I want to stay invested. I won't sell the index stocks I have yet but I may stop stock picking for a while. I do what I do. It's different from indexers when it's different.

...you are on to other things. Like buying TGT before the earnings report, when you thought it was after the earnings report?

That's not the mistake I made. The mistake (which was actually just calculated uncertainty to save myself time) was to put myself at risk of the market in general taking a hit from ANY large company's earnings report. I wanted most to be in and I don't know if they were but one wasn't and the market dropped because of it.

I look but I can't get a handle on every situation. OK, I decided the market will go up before down so I want to stay invested. I won't sell the index stocks I have yet but I may stop stock picking for a while. I do what I do. It's different from indexers when it's different.

That's not the mistake I made. The mistake (which was actually just calculated uncertainty to save myself time) was to put myself at risk of the market in general taking a hit from ANY large company's earnings report. I wanted most to be in and I don't know if they were but one wasn't and the market dropped because of it.

I really have no idea what to make of any of that. But that's OK, we'll let tomorrow's numbers do the talking.

-ERD50

Can we get an EOM update, please?

-ERD50

The rankings page for Friday won't be updated until later today but each player page has up to date account values. Here are two:

nunnun: $1,198,874.80

Boho: $1,035,612.53

I'm up for the month, nunnun is down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom