Strange count downs...anybody else?

Callitaday2022

Recycles dryer sheets
What a long strange countdown it's been.
15 more Kirkland body soap bars, 53 more 2 1/2# bags of coffee beans, and all this as we just went into triple digit days to go last month.

Anybody else have some strange count downs??

Most of mine are from the early morning routine.
Once at w*rk, I have a lot of fun and get a lot of satisfaction helping others. It's the getting up at 0345 to get in a good workout, stretching routine, hot tub soak, coffee, and being at the j*b by 0645 that I won't miss.

(A guess of) How many more vitamin gummies are in the bottle and quick calculation in my head when I need to reorder.

I count CoQ10 caps to make sure I have enough to last until they go on sale again at Costco.

We're looking at selling the house this spring, after 40 years here.

I find I'm starting to do a sort of count down, too. Opened my last box of trash bags this morning. Used up a couple of cans of paint in colors I'll never use again the other day. I'll be calling for my last tank of heating oil in the next week or two. Every day it's something new I'm doing for the last time. Kind of a weird feeling, but I'm starting to like it.

Once I have a move-out date I'll start a proper countdown clock.

Counting down the number of bowls of organic brown rice and organic rye cereal it will take to use it up so I can throw out the carton it came in. Found it when decluttering. No expiration date.

Commuting days. I highlight them on a yearly 11x17 calendar hanging in my cubicle. In this, the final job working for the man, I had no end date set in 2015 when I rejoined the workforce, so a countdown timer would not suffice. Essentially, I began counting up to an unknown.

At first it was 5 days lost each week, like most. I evolved that in my favor by working remotely on random days. After a few years I grew tired, and worked/commuted just 3-4 days a week. A year later I have an end date.

I have 4 weeks to go, including 12 commuting days. So it's a necessary count up.

I have 4 weeks to go, including 12 commuting days. So it's a necessary count up.

1 more w*rk Monday, 2 more Fridays...... So close!

Ahh, I remember those days.

My countdown clock (which I wrote myself - on company time) had to factor in weekends, vacation days, holidays, and my every-other-Friday-off schedule.

As for commuting - I hear ya! When I started it was a nice, relaxing 25-minute drive. By the end it had become more like big-city rush hour traffic.

The impact of commuting on my health was a big reason for pulling the RE trigger. Not only the daily stress but the very real risk of serious injury or death. Especially in bad weather. I don't think there was a higher percentage of bad drivers. Just that there were more of them, given more cars on the road overall.

The main thing I'm counting down, is how many more employee reviews I have to go through, how many more goal-setting sessions, how many more Christmas/holiday parties I have to dodge, etc.

Unless I get cold feet or fall into OMY syndrome, my goal is to call it quits in April 2021. So, in theory, I'm down to my last one, of all those things! :)

I'm definitely looking forward to ending the daily commute. For years, I was a bit spoiled actually, only living about 3.5 miles from work from 2004-2010, and then in 2010, our office moved, so I was only 2.5 miles! A bad commute was about 10 minutes.

But, in late 2018 I moved. It usually takes about 35-45 minutes to get to work, and is about 18 miles. That's not *horrible*, but after getting spoiled, it's not fun. And, it's the longest commute I've ever had, in my life. The commute home varies. Some days I stay a bit extra late, and by then it's actually quicker to take a ~24 mile route home that's mostly highway, but only takes about 35-40 minutes, whereas if I went home the way I normally go into work, more like 45-50. But some days, I leave early, before rush hour, but don't always go home.

Also, I've noticed that drivers ARE getting worse. More impatient, taking greater risks, more entitlement mentality (who cares if there's a stop sign, I'm going to run it!) etc. On the flip side, cars are also safer, in general. Back in college, and in my early days of full-time employment, I had a 1968 Dodge Dart 270 hardtop coupe. No ABS, no traction control, no airbags, crude (by today's standards) crumple zones. Drum brakes all around. Heck, it didn't even have a central B-pillar, as it was a hardtop, so it would have been extremely vulnerable in a side impact. About the only "safety" features it had was shoulder straps, a collapsible steering column, front headrests, a padded dashboard, dual master cylinder, and a lot of good, old fashioned thick sheetmetal and bumpers that help protect the car in low-speed impacts, but not necessarily the occupants, at higher speeds.

These days, I mostly drive a 2003 Regal, which is a pretty safe car. When it was new, the GM "W" body scored pretty well in NHTSA crash tests. But, cars are even safer now. And in many cases, heavier. There's also a greater mix of trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and other heavy vehicles that sit high up, and don't necessarily hit a car "bumper to bumper".

I have a feeling I'm less likely to die in a car crash now than I was in, say, 1992. But I'm probably more likely to get into one in the first place, what with the increase in traffic, bad drivers, etc.

I remember long commutes from Philadelphia across NJ in 1961 VW. Snow and ice could not be cleared by the windshield wipers.

Heh, heh, the last count down I did was ca. 1987 when I figured I had 11 years (or 132 months or 570 weeks or 4000 days) to FI. That was then and this is now, so count downs no longer have the allure of times past. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom