Strange phone call

This really got me laughing for some crazy reason.... it has got to be one of the funniest threads ever

:D

Someone named Not Provided 877-309-5503 has been a real pain lately. I do not answer, so they do not leave a message. Hope I'm not hurting their feelings. :(

This thread reminded me of one of the best scams . . .

Probably about 10 years ago a phone number was making the rounds as a practical joke. You'd leave a message with one of your colleagues to return a client's call at the number. The number reached a voice activated recording that sounded like a real person answering the phone. After the caller introduced himself and said he was returning a call, the recording launched into some kind of vague complaint. There was commotion in the background of the recording and the recorded voice would break off in to a litany of curses. The real caller couldn't tell if he was being cursed at or if it was being directed at someone else. This went on several minutes before the caller eventually realized that the call was a hoax.

It was really funny to watch people reacting to the lunatic on the other end of the phone. The recording was so well done nearly everyone fell for it, at least for awhile. The number spread like wildfire. Soon though, our company blocked the call after they received a ridiculous phone bill . . . the number was the equivalent of a 1-900 type number, charging a several dollars per minute for the "prank".

Slightly different, but:

When I was in college, somehow one of the Indian students stumbled onto the fact that the phone company apparently screwed up the programming on one of the public phones in the basement of the library so that they could call anywhere for any length of time without paying. Gawd knows who they thought they were billing, but it was a public (coin op) phone. So word spread among the foreign student population and some days there was an hour wait for free calls home to wherever. After about 6 months someone at the phone company evidently realized they made a mistake and fixed it. From what I understand, that phone was listed as a prison phone for a while.

Slightly different, but:

When I was in college, somehow one of the Indian students stumbled onto the fact that the phone company apparently screwed up the programming on one of the public phones in the basement of the library so that they could call anywhere for any length of time without paying. Gawd knows who they thought they were billing, but it was a public (coin op) phone. So word spread among the foreign student population and some days there was an hour wait for free calls home to wherever. After about 6 months someone at the phone company evidently realized they made a mistake and fixed it. From what I understand, that phone was listed as a prison phone for a while.

When I was in college, living in the dorm, someone :whistle: figured out that we could wire a standard dial phone into the pay phone wires that were conveniently routed through a utility closet that didn't seem to lock properly.... Local, long distance, didn't matter- just direct dial the number. Worked great for a whole semester until the phone company rewired the phone in rigid conduit.

Back
Top Bottom