Strange, unpleasant CC application - Capital One

OK. so I guess the answer to my original question is that nobody else, when applying for a CC, has been treated the way I was treated, correct?

I haven’t had this experience lately with credit cards because I haven’t applied for one, but I have had unusual disagreeable experiences lately with a bank and also with credit card customer services. I interpret it as an indicator of a tight labor market, leading employers to be more tolerant of their employees and workers to be less tolerant of customers.

I’ve also sensed a general decline in customer service over the past 2 years and wonder if there is a broader trend where businesses are cutting back on service related issues, in favor of higher margins.

These days we don’t apply for credit cards anymore because our credit is frozen so it’s a much bigger hassle. And we really have too many credit cards anyway. We have great cash back rewards on the ones we use most.

These days we don’t apply for credit cards anymore because our credit is frozen so it’s a much bigger hassle.

I'm finding it less hassle than it used to be; at one point when I wanted to unlock my credit a few years ago one bureau wanted me to snail-mail them a picture of my driver's license, despite the fact that I'd kept scrupulous records of my username and password for each bureau. The last few times I've needed to unlock it, it's been really easy and, as I noted upthread, Citi didn't even ask me to for my last application, maybe because I already had a card with them.

I was also gratified to see how many credit monitoring services (some due to breaches, others were freebies such as what Citi offers) e-mailed me and warned me that a new credit card had been opened in my name!

No, the offer appeared on BJs.com.

My guess is that you were actually talking to BJs folks "representing" Capitol One, who were collecting information to determine how to market additional services to you... or to sell your information... so you might be getting additional, various offers as someone who responded to this solicitation.

OK. so I guess the answer to my original question is that nobody else, when applying for a CC, has been treated the way I was treated, correct?

No, never, and like Aerides when they wanted me to install an app on my phone I'd have refused. I don't need another credit card, but obviously they want more customers. They should behave accordingly.

I'm at the point where unless it's for life-saving medical treatment for me or someone I care about I'm simply not going to put up with poor treatment. There are plenty of competitors out there.

Be careful. It could have been an identity hack.

I agree that it is unlikely, but could have been an identity hack - that is a good reason to always call the customer service # on the website, not one you are given to call.

Speaking of fraud, the entire process as described makes me nervous. Especially the part about the drivers license. I hope the OP has credit frozen.

She would for sure be declined for her credit card application if she had her credit frozen.

It's why I'm not tempted to sign up for new cards that give me enticing travel benefits... I'd have to unlock my credit record to apply, then re-lock it... That makes it start to seem like work...

Not exactly, no.

I've applied for lots of credit cards. Most approved, some declined.

I try to read up on the various CC websites about what each issuer is looking for and, depending on how much I want that particular CC, will jump through some of the recommended hoops.

It sounds to me like you were subject to a combination of some suspicion of identity theft (on the part of the legitimate Capital One issuer that your application may not have been from you) *plus* some curt CSRs. I've had both of those but never at the same time.

Both are very annoying, but I would try not to take it personally.

Glad you were eventually approved and not a victim of identity theft.

I usually have about 20 cards opened at any given time and rotate them every few months. Just a miles/points hobby that unlike most of my other indulgences cost me nothing and pays for a lot of my travel (ie business flight on Emirates from MEX to BCN yesterday).

Some of the applications are more complicated than others as are conversations with reps when you cancel the cards. I wouldn’t bother thinking about that - just enjoy your discounts.

So I received a "pre-cleared" application online for a BJs Mastercard from Capital One. The benefits are attractive - 3% rebate on BJs purchases, 10 cents per gallon off BJs gas (which is already discounted for members).

I have had a Cap One online account for years, as well as one Cap One CC (5% rebate on Walmart online grocery shopping), which is below their "limit" of 5 Cap One CC's. My credit rating is 830.

I provided all requested personal info and sat back, confidently expecting approval in 60 seconds. Instead, the screen said they will review my application and be in touch.

Several hours later, a woman's voice, robotic, staccato, talking very fast, came on my answering machine. "This is Gail from Capital One. It is important that you contact us as soon as possible about your credit card application." She rattled off a phone number and a 10-digit application number - so fast, I had to play back the message to be sure I got it all.

When I called, I got another woman, different voice, same robotic delivery. She texted me a link on my smartphone to an identity-verification app. I had to use my camera to focus a grid of red lines on the back of my driver's license until the grid turned green. This took 7 tries. When I complained, she suggested I "get a family member to help." The final step was to take a photo of the front of my DL.

The woman stayed on the phone the whole time. At the end, she said to keep checking my email, as the card had not yet been approved. Then, "Wait, it has been approved, you will receive your card in the mail in approximately 5 to 7 business days." No "Is there anything else I can do."

The whole encounter felt adversarial and condescending.

Anyone else been treated this way?

I've had a CapOne Venture card for 13 years. CapOne has excellent fraud alert system but their customer service leaves something to be desired.

Right after I got back from Australia earlier this year, CapOne alerted me to an unknown charge at an on-line retailer in Australia and asked me to verify the purchase. I immediately called them to report the charge as fraudulent and they cancelled my old card on the spot. But they wouldn't issue me a new card unless I furnished further ID in the form of a passport. I had given them my SS, address and security code of old card, and was calling them from my landline (which is the phone number of record on the account and they could see the number on their end), but they still refused to issue me a new card without a copy of my passport, which I refused to furnish because it has nothing to do with my credit card account with them.

Suffice to say that it took 10 minutes of increasingly heated exchange and escalation to a higher authority before they relented and agreed to mail me a new card without further proof of identity.

I think their call center is in India, as both individuals I spoke to had Indian accents. I think they were just going by a script but the whole experience was rather unpleasant.

BTW, in all my years of traveling, my credit card has only been compromised twice, and both times it happened in Australia. Go figure.

Last edited:

I received a “You’ve been pre-approved!” solicitation from Lowe’s a while back and had a similar experience. I couldn’t see, and they couldn’t explain, why I had to do so much work if I was already pre-approved, so I told them to pound sand.

I have posted before about my application for an Amazon Visa card being declined. Two reasons were stated, not enough credit cards, Yes I only had one, and no money in their bank. I responded with how much money do you want me to put in your bank, The did not respond to that.
I continued the process until they finally decided I am worthy!
I did not run into anyone that was rude during the process.

She would for sure be declined for her credit card application if she had her credit frozen.

It's why I'm not tempted to sign up for new cards that give me enticing travel benefits... I'd have to unlock my credit record to apply, then re-lock it... That makes it start to seem like work...

On the few times I've needed to unfreeze my credit there was an option for how long to leave it unfrozen. I usually do 24 or 48 hours and then it refreezes automatically. I go back and verify just to be sure. All 3 credit bureaus had this available.

I can understand a credit card issuer wanting to check your credit. What surprised me is the time we had to unfreeze when opening a bank account. I'm giving YOU MY money, maybe I should check YOUR credit!

Last edited:
I've not had that experience. However, I'm glad to hear they have a high threshold to ensure you are who you say you are. Unfortunately, I wish they could have been more customer friendly. Not sure by your description if you were talking to a bot or a poor excuse for a customer service representative but they need to do better.

I went through the process to sign up for ID.me which required a license scan and a face scan. It wasn't bad at all but it was a computer driven/aided process that was pretty well thought out.

On the few times I've needed to unfreeze my credit there was an option for how long to leave it unfrozen. I usually do 24 or 48 hours and then it refreezes automatically. I go back and verify just to be sure. All 3 credit bureaus had this available.

I can understand a credit card issuer wanting to check your credit. What surprised me is the time we had to unfreeze when opening a bank account. I'm giving YOU MY money, maybe I should check YOUR credit!
Yes, they give you some temporary options which is convenient. It’s so rare I do this, that it seems they change how I access my account each time which is annoying as I’ve carefully kept the original PINs. Seems like an invitation to hackers to me.

I only unfreeze if the creditor will tell me which bureau they are using. Otherwise too much trouble. My latest electricity provider required that they access my credit report, a bit of a pain but at least they waived the deposit because my score was high.

Banks/credit unions checking credit - yeah no more new financial institutions for me anyway. I got lucky recently that T-Mobile Money used my T-Mobile credentials and didn’t require anything in addition. T-Mobile already had access to my credit reports.

I got lucky recently that T-Mobile Money used my T-Mobile credentials and didn’t require anything in addition. T-Mobile already had access to my credit reports.

Something similar happened to me- I applied for an American Airlines card through Citibank and my credit records are frozen. I was approved on-line immediately, probably because I have a Costco Visa from them.

I'd be inclined to walk away from the application with the treatment the OP got. Plenty of good credit card options out there.

Something similar happened to me- I applied for an American Airlines card through Citibank and my credit records are frozen. I was approved on-line immediately, probably because I have a Costco Visa from them.

I'd be inclined to walk away from the application with the treatment the OP got. Plenty of good credit card options out there.
Yes, if you already have an account with a given financial institution they have access to your credit record already.

The curious thing with T-Mobile is that they are not a financial institution, Customers Bank is hosting the T-Mobile Money accounts, but T-Mobile had access or was satisfied with my T-Mobile credentials already. They automatically assigned the same login credentials as well after some 2FA type handshaking. You wouldn’t even know Customers Bank was behind it unless you looked up the bank routing number for transfers.

I just recently opened the T-Mobile Money account because T-Mobile will soon require autopay from bank account instead of credit card to retain the autopay discount. The monthly discount is worth $20 for us.

Last edited:

No, I have not. And with your credit rating of 830 you shouldn't have been treated this way. I would have ended the application process somewhere around the point they wanted to see an image of my driver's license.

What happened to the 5 or 6 questions they ask you about your credit history? Things like: What is your current mortgage payment? Which of the following addresses have you lived at? Have you ever leased a Ford vehicle? etc. etc.

I used to have a Capital One card and they did something to wrong me that caused me to put it in my desk drawer, never to see the light of day again, until they told they were canceling my card, whereupon I happily cut it into ribbons.

Knowing what I know about how call center workers are treated, I'm imagining that woman was frustrated that her metrics were going in the dumper because the call was taking so long (not blaming you, of course). And was probably going to be "coached" later that day, getting chewed out for something she absolutely can't control.

I have told this story before, but I'll mention it again here.

Several years ago, while buying something at a store, I was told I could get a big discount if I applied for a store credit card at the time of purchase. I said okay but the cashier couldn't get the credit approved. I had forgotten I had frozen my credit years earlier due to some data breach, and the cashier didn't think to ask. What should have taken maybe 5 minutes to buy my item took about 15 minutes and I didn't get the discount, leaving me pretty annoyed. I later got a form letter telling me why my application was denied.

About a year later, I wanted to get my credit card's limit increased. I was at my local bank's branch to get some help but the rep knew to ask me if I had my credit frozen. The rep told me which agency they used so when I got home I looked up the PIN so I could call the CC department and they 3-wayed me in with the agency. I thawed my credit report and the CC rep granted me the limit increase right away.

Same here. I've done this any number of times. When I get a notification that they can't access my credit record, they always give me a phone number. I call and ask which bureau they use, then unfreeze my file at that bureau for 24 hours. Never had a problem.

The last time I unfroze my credit temporarily, it wasn’t available until midnight that day. So I had to wait until the following day to call the business and complete my signup.

Capitol One has had significant issues with fraudulent credit card openings. I know because I had one that I learned of because of a hard credit check that popped up out of no where. I don't and have never had any type of Capitol One account so I knew something was off. Someone else had applied for the credit card account but it sure was not me. Strangely, it was opened using my SSN and home address so perhaps someone working in the post office that could intercept the card. Fraudulent accounts are such an issue now that all of the issuers are hyping security.

I was annoyed by the cell phone company making me unfreeze when I changed carriers several yeas ago. I'd already gone through the process of setting up auto pay.

Back
Top Bottom