Student help for small jobs (regional) - Sweeps

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
Yesterday I moved my home office from a 2nd floor bedroom to a 1st floor study (where it should have been in the first place). Not huge, but it involved a large commercial quality office desk, file cabinets, etc. Not something I could do myself.

I’d been referred to a local company who pairs college students looking for work with local people needing help. I decided to try them and had a great experience: fast, friendly, efficient and got the job done. Two guys: one from NC State, the other Grinnell (Iowa, but a NC native home for the summer).

The company is called Sweeps:

http://sweeps.jobs

They appear to operate (loosely) in the SE US. I’ll definitely use them again if/as the need arises.

Thanks for this steelyman. I have heard good things about Sweeps, I might give them a try when I have a need.

Sounds good, but considering the recent thread on risky behavior/low probability risks, I would be asking for certificates of insurance for work comp and liability.

Sounds good, but considering the recent thread on risky behavior/low probability risks, I would be asking for certificates of insurance for work comp and liability.

I wondered about the same thing.

Finding laborers like this type of w*rk seems to be getting more difficult. Wanted to help DIL move and spent hours looking for available help (like two men and a truck). Couldn't even get a call back. YMMV

Sweeps is a national company that is in most college towns. Under the law of my state (NC) they have to have workers comp insurance. According to their website they provide a guarantee and will fix damage caused by their workers. They get excellent Yelp reviews in my community. I think its is a great business model.

Sweeps is a national company that is in most college towns. Under the law of my state (NC) they have to have workers comp insurance. According to their website they provide a guarantee and will fix damage caused by their workers. They get excellent Yelp reviews in my community. I think its is a great business model.
Good to know. AFIK all states require work comp, but that doesn't mean that all companies have it. That kind of expense is the sort of thing that gets postponed when cash flow is tight. I would still ask for a certificate of insurance and some kind of document including their guarantee and damage indemnification.

Interesting idea and service. My younger son is home for the summer and so far he's replaced a 100 ft of fencing at our house, stained 160ft of fencing at my sisters house and is currently painting the next door neighbors trim/soffits. He has a gig next week helping a friend of ours in her garden, helping put in raised garden beds. He's taking the work where he can and making decent income.

Back
Top Bottom