Sunday will never be the same.....

Sunday is the day the fat paper comes.

Yep, fat paper in the morning (next to the fireplace), Amazing Race in the evening (next to DW): Sunday is fine.

It's funny, when I signed up for some volunteer work after I retired, I made myself available Tuesday thru Friday. Much as I love volunteering, I couldn't bring myself to crack the sanctity of Free Monday!

Sundays: I hated the entire day!

As a school teacher, I would always procrastinate and leave all my catch up work until Sunday afternoon. Normally, I would get panicky
about weekly planning the catching up on grading papers. Not this school year! Sundays are now for movies, museums, lounging, football, and the paper. After 36 years, Sunday and Monday are both days that I enjoy.

Awwww...You guys are killing me. I go through this every Sunday. I'm glad it's not just me.

Hey! 10 months to go! Let's see...how many Sundays would that be...not counting Monday holidays, (stay of executions)?

Yep. Thanks for that reminder about the Sunday Anxiety Blues. I am so glad I am done with that.

Worst part of still having to w*rk on Mondays is that I have to stop at 3 glasses of red wine at Sunday dinner. :(

It was always Fridays that I hated - the frequency with which clients would come up with something that just had to be done on the following Monday which necessitated the sacrifice of a substantial part of my weekend was seriously depressing ... especially when the e-mail chains usually showed that they had been sitting on it for several days.

But I guess that is what they pay me for ...

216 days to go :dance:

Boy oh boy I understand this one...by the time I was on my way out, the Sunday evening dread already had its grisly paws around my neck by Saturday afternoon. Even now, two months in, the dread still shows up on Sunday. Last week was really bad...had the blues all day on Sunday...even though I didn't have to worry about work anymore.

And about avoiding the weekend crowds, DW and I have already decided not to go out much on the weekend, AND, to have our Christmas shopping finished before thanksgiving. I think I'm going to hibernate between thanksgiving and New Years Day 2014.

R

Weekend Chains Now Gone

As a school teacher, I would always procrastinate and leave all my catch up work until Sunday afternoon. Normally, I would get panicky
about weekly planning the catching up on grading papers. Not this school year! Sundays are now for movies, museums, lounging, football, and the paper. After 36 years, Sunday and Monday are both days that I enjoy.

Early in the 33 years of teaching, I learned the best way to get through M-F ("best" meaning that I'd get at least 6-7 hrs. sleep/night) would be if I'd make myself sit down and do school work AT LEAST 6-8 hrs. each weekend (especially when teaching full time). That meant spending 4 hrs. Sat. at the library and another 4 hrs. Sun at some public coffee house (with white background noise). I'd grade, plan, write letters of recommendation, plan dept. meetings, in-services, etc. It was too hard to do it at home because everything there became a huge distraction; avoiding the schoolwork would make any chore appealing.

Since ER, the weekends of youth have returned! I'd forgotten that bliss of wide open days, with nothing on the calendar. Nobody expects anything from me on Mon. DH and I can do anything we please. Nothing goes on our calendars unless we decide to put it there.

I'm only starting to understand how much of life passed by when I was buried in paperwork, Sept.-June.

It is so nice to have a life again. :D

The Sunday funk was a primary ER motivator for me. I came to realize that my mind was really trying to tell me something important. It's been 10 years now since ER. I'm very glad I listened.

Sorry to gloat guys but I just had to revisit this thread. Today is my first Sunday in retirement and I was sitting here thinking "something's different" then it hit me NO SUNDAY BLUES!

For those of you not yet FIREd your day will come I promise!

Best wishes to all and thanks for the encouragement couldn't have done it without you
Nikki

Sorry to gloat guys but I just had to revisit this thread. Today is my first Sunday in retirement and I was sitting here thinking "something's different" then it hit me NO SUNDAY BLUES!

For those of you not yet FIREd your day will come I promise!

Best wishes to all and thanks for the encouragement couldn't have done it without you
Nikki

Happy First Sunday!

A good friend of mine (still working) just texted me the following:

"Sunday afternoon beers are completely underrated"

Seemed appropriate
-gauss

Nikki... remember - you no longer get days off. You are ALWAYS retired - 24/7. No more weekends or holidays. Dang. what a "horrible" situation. hahahahahahahahahaha

It's good to be hanging around "like-minded people". I'll never forget those Sunday blues and the Monday blues too the closer I got to retirement.
For me the worst thing that could happen to me would be to get a call from Mega-corp on a Sunday evening that would require me to go out there to solve someone's problem with equipment that I was ultimately responsible for. I absolutely dreaded that!
Thanks for the reminder because as I write this it is Sunday evening and I don't have a care in the world.:dance:

As I sit here and type this, tonight is my last Sunday evening before a Monday workday. And although I do have to go into work tomorrow, it will be a short week for me. My last day is Thursday. I am so looking forward to next Sunday when the euphoria of a Sunday afternoon/evening is no longer dreaded.

Sleeping in, or more accurately not having to get up, and no longer experiencing the Sunday-evening dread will be, I suspect, among the best parts of ER for me.

As I sit here and type this, tonight is my last Sunday evening before a Monday workday. And although I do have to go into work tomorrow, it will be a short week for me. My last day is Thursday. I am so looking forward to next Sunday when the euphoria of a Sunday afternoon/evening is no longer dreaded.

Sleeping in, or more accurately not having to get up, and no longer experiencing the Sunday-evening dread will be, I suspect, among the best parts of ER for me.

Good for you. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

My Sunday blues hit right around 3 pm. I can't remember a time when I didn't have the Sunday blues.

My Sunday blues hit right around 3 pm. I can't remember a time when I didn't have the Sunday blues.
I just finished my third Sunday night as a [-]slacking unemployed bum[/-] "accidental retiree". It still has a different feeling to it than other nights. I'm sure that will eventually change, but old habits die hard!

The phenomenon is a real one -- 78 percent of respondents in a recent international Monster.com poll reported experiencing the so-called "Sunday Night Blues." And a whopping 47 percent said they get it "really bad." In the U.S., that number jumps to 59 percent.
The Huffington Post

Not me. I love the Sunday night feeling, knowing that tomorrow morning once again I can go out and run errands without dealing with all the crowds. I just try to stay out of the rush hour madness.

Not me. I love the Sunday night feeling, knowing that tomorrow morning once again I can go out and run errands without dealing with all the crowds. I just try to stay out of the rush hour madness.

+1 I love having the option to run errands and avoid rush hour insanity.

Last night was my final (I hope, anyway!) session of Sunday Night Blues. It's been a strange feeling today to clear things out of my inbox, refuse new projects, and joke around about tomorrow being my last day at work.

I can't wait to see how Sunday feels now! :p

DH retired in July 2008. He dreaded Sundays. Ever since retirement, he looks up at some point on Sunday and says (with a big grin), "I don't think I'll go to work tomorrow.". It never gets old.

I had problems with Sundays as well, especially if knew there was a pile of work i should have worked the weekend on. Not now! One of the best feelings about ER so far!

I had problems with Sundays as well, especially if knew there was a pile of work i should have worked the weekend on. Not now! One of the best feelings about ER so far!

W*rked the weekend on? That's crazy talk to ER types!

Back
Top Bottom