Supplements: Matter of Opinion?

I guess they work for some. They do for me. I was a wreck. I had been to numerous doctors, taken various prescriptions and just kept getting worse. Finally, a friend of mine put me in touch with a holistic dr who is also an MD and he changed my life. I’m off all medication, I take a number of supplements, I get regular blood work and I’m feeling much better. I’m not talking about a little better, I’m talking about the difference between going to bed every night and wondering if I was going to live to now I’m feeling good and healthy.

One thing he said to me that stuck. He said, if I have a specific issue (I originally thought I had a neurological problem), he said that the supplements aren’t going to cure that (not gonna cure cancer), but he said, and I believe, it will give your body the best fighting chance at dealing with the illness. If it was placebo effect, then so what, I’m feeling better. I don’t think it is given that my bloodwork shows actual change in my body and I’m off medication (high blood pressure).

I guess they work for some. They do for me. I was a wreck. I had been to numerous doctors, taken various prescriptions and just kept getting worse. Finally, a friend of mine put me in touch with a holistic dr who is also an MD and he changed my life. I’m off all medication, I take a number of supplements, I get regular blood work and I’m feeling much better. I’m not talking about a little better, I’m talking about the difference between going to bed every night and wondering if I was going to live to now I’m feeling good and healthy.

One thing he said to me that stuck. He said, if I have a specific issue (I originally thought I had a neurological problem), he said that the supplements aren’t going to cure that (not gonna cure cancer), but he said, and I believe, it will give your body the best fighting chance at dealing with the illness. If it was placebo effect, then so what, I’m feeling better. I don’t think it is given that my bloodwork shows actual change in my body and I’m off medication (high blood pressure).
That is wonderful! You had an MD, holistic. Did he suggest a supplement brand that was superior. There are specific brands that have better reputations for ingredients as stated on the label. Did MD suggest dosage? Dosage gives me pause and is not one size fits all.

Yes, he sells his own brands and ones he recommends. I’m sure this is where he makes his money, but I’ve shopped and his pricing is quite reasonable and in line.

Yes, dosage is managed through the blood work monitoring. Only take what is needed to get your numbers in proper ranges.

My point the benefits of supplements are a matter of opinion. That opinion depends on your specific experience with the supplement. I personally do not have faith in supplements b/c 1. They are not regulated. 2. We do not know what they put in supplements. Similar to food labeling "all natural" on the processed food label.

For several supplements that I take, I am not expecting any kind of short-term, noticeable positive result (in terms of how I feel on a daily basis). I take them because there are studies (yes, real peer-reviewed, published studies) that indicate they may prevent (or at least delay the onset of) chronic disease..........cancer, for one. Turmeric is a good example (and turmeric is actually a spice that has been used for thousands of years). Vitamin D is another one. In other words, I will probably never know whether the turmeric and Vitamin D I am taking now helped me avoid diseases like cancer, but I'm willing to spend the $$ on them now, as the cost is not great, and the data suggests that they may be of some help. Of course you have to eat a healthy diet in the first place (and get natural sunlight, exercise, etc), or all the supplements in the world will not make you healthy or prevent disease.

With regard to what is actually in the supplements that I take (and I don't take a lot), I try to buy brands that are third-party tested to insure they do contain what they are supposed to contain. I know that is not a perfect solution, but I'm not too worried about it.

If someone chooses not to take any supplements, that's fine with me. They are certainly not a panacea, IMO, but may provide some long-term benefits to some people.

I take them because there are studies (yes, real peer-reviewed, published studies) that indicate they may prevent (or at least delay the onset of) chronic disease..........cancer, for one. Turmeric is a good example (and turmeric is actually a spice that has been used for thousands of years).
and the data suggests that they may be of some help. Of course you have to eat a healthy diet in the first place (and get natural sunlight, exercise, etc), or all the supplements in the world will not make you healthy or prevent disease.
They are certainly not a panacea, IMO, but may provide some long-term benefits to some people.

Ok, respectfully, I just want to point out, from a trusted source regarding data...
Also, the spice has been used for thousands of years. Curcuminoids in turmeric is the substance that provides possible benefits.

What Are The Health Effects of Turmeric?

• Claims that curcuminoids found in turmeric help to reduce inflammation aren’t supported by strong studies.
  • Preliminary studies found that curcuminoids may
    • Reduce the number of heart attacks bypass patients had after surgery
    • Control knee pain from osteoarthritis as well as ibuprofen did
    • Reduce the skin irritation that often occurs after radiation treatments for breast cancer.
  • Other preliminary studies in people have looked at curcumin, a type of curcuminoid, for different cancers, colitis, diabetes, surgical pain, and as an ingredient in mouthwash for reducing plaque.
  • The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) has studied curcumin for Alzheimer’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate and colon cancer.
Is Turmeric Safe?

• Turmeric in amounts tested for health purposes is generally considered safe when taken by mouth or applied to the skin.
  • High doses or long-term use of turmeric may cause gastrointestinal problems.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/turmeric/ataglance.htm

Ok, respectfully, I just want to point out, from a trusted source regarding data...
Also, the spice has been used for thousands of years. Curcuminoids in turmeric is the substance that provides possible benefits.

What Are The Health Effects of Turmeric? Claims that curcuminoids found in turmeric help to reduce inflammation aren’t supported by strong studies.
  • Preliminary studies found that curcuminoids may
    • Reduce the number of heart attacks bypass patients had after surgery
    • Control knee pain from osteoarthritis as well as ibuprofen did
    • Reduce the skin irritation that often occurs after radiation treatments for breast cancer.
  • Other preliminary studies in people have looked at curcumin, a type of curcuminoid, for different cancers, colitis, diabetes, surgical pain, and as an ingredient in mouthwash for reducing plaque.
  • The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) has studied curcumin for Alzheimer’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate and colon cancer.
Is Turmeric Safe?Turmeric in amounts tested for health purposes is generally considered safe when taken by mouth or applied to the skin.
  • High doses or long-term use of turmeric may cause gastrointestinal problems.
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/turmeric/ataglance.htm

Yes, I'm aware that curcumin is the compound within turmeric that has received the most attention, but turmeric may contain other things that are beneficial as well. With regard to curcumin, here is one study that did find multiple health benefits from taking it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23013352

We could go back and forth like this for a long time (citing studies that contradict one another), but the point is that everyone just needs to review the available evidence and decide for themselves whether to take a supplement or not. It certainly doesn't bother me if someone decides they don't need any supplements at all.

:)
Yes, I'm aware that curcumin is the compound within turmeric that has received the most attention, but turmeric may contain other things that are beneficial as well. With regard to curcumin, here is one study that did find multiple health benefits from taking it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23013352

We could go back and forth like this for a long time (citing studies that contradict one another), but the point is that everyone just needs to review the available evidence and decide for themselves whether to take a supplement or not. It certainly doesn't bother me if someone decides they don't need any supplements at all.
:) Agree

Back
Top Bottom