Support Sister?

I think the only way to help her is to let her hit bottom. As long as she thinks she has assets she will not face up to her situation. Once the house is gone and the money is gone she will realize that she will have to live off what she makes at whatever job she can get.

The sad thing in this whole scenario is that your sister is 60 . That is a rough age to be trying to regroup and find a decent job.

One of the best books I ever read was Sister Carrie, written in the early 1900's. I forgot the author (Theodore Dreiser?). It is about a once affluent banker who lost his job, and his slow decent into poverty. Of note was how he refused many jobs on his way down, because they were "beneath him."

I think the best medicine is reality, and your maintaining good boundaries so you are not sucked into the downward spiral. I say this to myself as well, because we have a couple of relatives in similar positions. I have decided what I will and will not do. I will offer food and a temporary place to stay. Every year we grow a good garden, and do lots of canning. I will not offer money.

There is a saying that comes to me these days:
"Money is relative; the more money, the more relatives."

Hopefully she has a work record in the US and can qualify for SS... if she doesn't she needs to get some sort of job. She will need about 10 years of work paying into SS to qualify.

That's a shame what happened to your sister. I have a younger brother and if he ever needed it, he could come crash at my apt for as long as he needed to. I wouldn't want to commit to giving money, but shelter and food I could give. I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but maybe letting her stay at your house until she finds a job might be something to consider.

If you have a nice house it might back fire though. She might not want to ever leave. For myself, I live in a one bedroom apt. So, my brother would be in a sleeping bag on the living room floor. I doubt he would want to stay longer than necessary.

Hope things work out for the best.

I have no idea about the property she is selling. However, I do live south of Atlanta. It is depressing how poorly very nice properties are just sitting on the market these days. I know Fayette and Henry County. I am seeing more listings lately and hope they sell. If the home is in Clayton County do not expect it to sell for any sane price - school district issues there have clobbered the market beyond belief.

I wish her well - she no doubt has difficult times ahead. I do not envy you the task of negotiating proper boundaries that will be needed for both of you to navigate these next few months.

Sorry,no idea about Morgan county. It is far Atlanta burbs . I do know that with the way gas prices have been higher the last few years more folks who might have considered a long commute are looking at the depressed home prices closer to Atlanta. This shift away from long commutes means in the general downturn, some far off communities have been hurt badly.
You might do an online search and look at simalarly priced homes in the area to see if you think her home is priced to sell.

According to this link it looks a bit like Morgan has rebounded a bit in 2010 compared to surrounding counties. Still off peak of course.

Morgan Home Prices and Home Values - Zillow Local Info

Almost all cities have rent-assisted over 60, or 62, or 65 housing. Much of it is very nice, in nice neighborhoods. I think the deverloper gets a certain long period of tax abatement in return for keeping the rents and the rent increases low.

She is probably not going to find many members of the nobility there, but she will be safe and her expenses will be under control. If it were me I would place getting a job, getting rid of the house, and moving moving into cheap rental housing at the top of the list.

With what she can get from her house, cheap rent, and a job so she can support herself until taking SS at age 70 she should be fine.

You're going to like the new her. :)

Ha

I don't have any info on senior housing in GA. In PA, you have to be 62 years of age or handicapped or disabled. Your income and assets also have a cap in applying for such housing. Typically, one pays one third of his/her income. They also take into consideration out of pocket medical expenses in calculating the rent. A 62 year old senior can have a car in this housing and can still work provided their income does not exceed certain limits. This housing can vary greatly. I would recommend that a senior living alone seek out "senior" housing, not "family" housing. Also visit and take a look at the places, talk to residents. Some places are very nice, as nice as any rental apartment in which I have ever lived. Others, not so much so. You really have to visit and get a feel for the place. Even park outside on a Sat. evening in good weather and watch the comings and goings if you do not have anyone to guide you to the "nicer" places.

Back
Top Bottom