Surrogate Next of Kin

Brewer,
Cold, rainy, foggy here, so your advice sounds mighty tempting.

Tom,
If you don't mind, I'll use your request to relieve some pent-up stress but I'll send it to your PM box cause it's pretty rambling and boring. It's basically my life story including the details of the last few months. If you say don't PM me I can easily understand why :D

Dreamer,
Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers, the Bears are playing this weekend so I will be watching that. Meantime, I have packed lots of things and am shipping them to a friend. Things like boxed VCR sets of Twilight Zone, The Fugitive, The Untouchables, World at War, all the old horror movies like the Zombie, Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I leave Chicago on April 29 (my birthday) so I want to be lean and mean. Not sure where I'm going yet but I'll be traveling light (in more ways than one).

TomSimpsonAZ said:
Sounds good to me, I bet others would welcome it too :)

Yeah, we need something to read while we are supposed to be working. :)

Sheryl,
I suspect insomnia would set in and the boss would catch you sound asleep. :D

I'd be interested in reading your "reflections" too. It'll put my Monday morning "back-to-work" blues in perspective maybe. :)

Since you live alone you should take a look at skilled nursing facilities as a place to recover.  I know, many people call them "nursing homes", but this won't be your home.. it will be a place where PTs and RNs capable of monitoring catheters and IV's are available.  Today hospitals discharge much too soon IMHO.  You may end up at a skilled nursing facility selected by a social worker, not what you would have selected if you were able.  [This happened when my Dad had surgery and we were completely un-prepared.  I vowed never to have that happen again.]

Build a list from this Medicare resource:  http://tinyurl.com/akhyj

Then go visit, talk to their admissions person, walk slowly through the Medicare secition where you might be admitted, and rank them.  If you need that level of care where you go will depend on bed availability and whether or not the facility thinks they can meet your needs (the good ones don't accept too many high care need patients at one time), but the discharge planner will work hard to select from your preferances.

I sincerely hope a visiting nurse is all that you will need.  With that in mind prepare a bunch of your favorite meals in advance and freeze them (or take the favorite batchelor short cut - hit the frozen food section of the grocery).  Another option is to contact your local 'meals on wheels' to see what can do for you.

Thinking good thoughts for a fast recovery...

Justin,
Not much in the way of reflections but I left home at 15 and seldom, if ever, did I bother to tell my mom or siblings where I lived. I went from one phase of life to the next and left everyone in the previous phase behind. I've kept my health problems away from almost all family, and friends. Only my oldest brother and 2 close friends know. Even they have no idea that I will be on my own. I just find it difficult to burden them because they have families to support.

Brat,
I chose the frozen food section approach. I usually eat fresh vegetables, fresh salmon or swordfish, but a week's worth of Angelina's Macaroni and Cheese will suffice. Thanks for the link and thoughts.

OldAgePensioner said:
I've kept my health problems away from almost all family, and friends. Only my oldest brother and 2 close friends know. Even they have no idea that I will be on my own. I just find it difficult to burden them because they have families to support.

OAP, you are a braver man than I would be in your circumstances. I probably would be a bit more selfish and burden my few dear friends. I figure, they would have the same liberties to burden me.

Again, have a speeding recovery.

MJ :)

PS: Even thought is a super longshot (so is the lottery but someone eventually wins), since your sugery was delayed, maybe you'll get a call from the doctor telling you don't need the surgery after all.
Can't hurt to have that thought in mind.

Best of luck OAP, and we'll hope for a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom