Suze Orman opinions

I really don't know enough about Suze Orman to form an opinion either way, but I remember early one morning I found her show on tv. One of my roommates was awake, in another room, and asked me if this woman was a financial advisor or a female Dr. Phil! When people would call in, often she'd get all up their business about personal, relationship type stuff. Although to be fair, often it's relationships and conflict that are the root of money problems.

I watched her for a while and bought a couple of books. At that time my finances were pathetic. I gleaned quite a bit from her, and have long since gotten things straighten out. I think she's a big help for those who, like me, had/have horrible financial behavior. She was kind of my stepping stone to things like the "4 Pillars", etc. IMHO, she serves a valuable purpose for some folks. (me included) 8)

She fills a market and gives simple, and from what I've seen reasonable, advice. If she encourages people to save and invest that's a good thing. Personally I carn't stand to watch her
particularly when she gives personal rather than financial advice

She is a certified financial planner, and her advice is usually sound. Her advice on living trusts and the way lawyers tend to incorrectly steer people away from them in her book "You've Earned It, Don't Lose It" was particularly helpful to me. I think she is a lesbian who know's what she is talking about which is better than a hetero who doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

I bought 3 copies of her book 5-6 years ago for my 3 daughters. One kind of got into it, one kind of cherry-picked through it, and I think one never even lifted the cover. What did help was when we had arguments about what they were doing with their money, instead of saying "I think...", I would say, "Suze would say this about that", so I wasn't the bad guy. I agree with Andre1969 & nun that through the years Suze has gotten into too much psycho-babble and less straight financial advice. And are we all forgetting when she was pimping for GM?.

gotten into too much psycho-babble and less straight financial advice.

Telling folks to invest in index funds and not waste their time trying to beat the market is not what TV producers want to hear at all, especially on CNBC. Can you imagine if only good advice like "invest in index funds, rebalance annually, and stay the course" was the answer to most of the Qs that are asked? Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z.

Suze is generally a pretty good debt counselor, but a sorry investment advisor. But, she is only doing what CNBC wants her to do. She is smart enough to know why they pay her each week. ::)

mickeyd said:
Telling folks to invest in index funds and not waste their time trying to beat the market is not what TV producers want to hear at all, especially on CNBC.

But this is exactly the advise she has given, on at least one show.

What she says in the show is fine. It's hard to concentrate when she is talking so slowly, moving her hands frequently, and stirring at you with her big set of eyes and teeth.

Payin-the-Toll said:
And are we all forgetting when she was pimping for GM?.
Judging from their current situation, I hope she didn't give them financial advice too...

mickeyd said:
No doubt the producers @ CNBC will give her a solid tongue lashing for passing along such excellent advice. ^-^

So long as it is from another woman...

(ducking and running)

brewer12345 said:
So long as it is from another woman...
(ducking and running)
Well, the CNBC comment gave me the idea of bringing up the subject of Maria Bartiromo, but I'm certainly not going to do that now.

mathjak107 said:
i thought she was anti man and maybe a lesbian.

Where on earth are you living? Last I noticed it was 2006.......who cares who the hell she hops into bed with.....? (psst!! have you heard that Cramer is heterosexual?)

theronware

theronware said:
Where on earth are you living? Last I noticed it was 2006.......who cares who the hell she hops into bed with.....? (psst!! have you heard that Cramer is heterosexual?)

theronware

Heh, I can see your epidermus!

Spanky said:
What she says in the show is fine. It's hard to concentrate when she is talking so slowly, moving her hands frequently, and stirring at you with her big set of eyes and teeth.

Yes! She has the worst delivery of any speaker I have ever seen. She presents as if her audience was full of metally retarded children.

congratulations.

I can see yours too.

Yeah, but mine's bigger. :D At least, that's what Suze said. :eek:

Remember her target audience. She's not that bad, and at the very least the various financial train wrecks that call in are pretty funny.

tui_xiu said:
Remember her target audience. She's not that bad, and at the very least the various financial train wrecks that call in are pretty funny.

bbuzzard said:
She presents as if her audience was full of metally retarded children.
If your punchline is true, can it still be considered subtle sarcastic humor?

Nords said:
If your punchline is true, can it still be considered subtle sarcastic humor?

Actually, it was not subtle sarcastic humor. IMHO, she really talks like she is speaking to retarded children. OTOH, if you are correct , I guess this is not a criticism but rahter an observation.

Metally retarded children? So they are in handcuffs? :D

Suze is more gaggingly overdone acting on TV than I can stand. The "callers" must be selected for the lamest people around. The solution to the person's problem are usually screamingly obvious.

But if people like that really exist, and I'm afraid they do, then she is providing a useful service to poke them in the rear or eye to get them to straighten it out. So as much as I may gag at a lot of her antics, she may be the best available to many. And gives hard advice these people aren't getting from mooching kids/husbands/girlfriends/siblings/swamp creatures.

:D

in jewish tradition there are two types of charity which go hand in hand: one anonymous and to the other you sign your name. in effect, one serves as example while the other serves your heart.

in buddhist tradition there are two types of teachers, one stands at the lectern while the other sits and meditates where if, by chance, someone kind enough to offer a bite to eat might bring back a pearl into the world.

you can be deepack chopra or wayne dyer offering spirituality for sale or freely exchange your insights and knowledge in cybercaves. what is the difference? which more effective, more satisfying? for me the lecture circuit party makes more noise as it scratches more of the surface. certainly it creates more dollar profit but for that i suspect it extracts a price, and not just from the purchaser, the price of fame.

i'm baaaaaaack.

Back
Top Bottom