T-Mobile Buys Mint Mobile for $1.35 Billion

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
(Bloomberg) -- T-Mobile US Inc. is buying Mint Mobile, the budget wireless provider part owned by actor Ryan Reynolds, for as much as $1.35 billion in an effort to bolster its prepaid phone business and reach more lower-income customers.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ryan-reynolds-backed-mint-bought-130543204.html

I know there are a lot of people here that are fans of Mint Mobile. Only time will tell what happens to this popular MVNO. I sure hope they don't ruin it.

They've bought Metro PCS and now Mint; I see the market becoming less competitive. I have Metro now but was thinking of switching to Mint.

I know there are a lot of people here that are fans of Mint Mobile. Only time will tell what happens to this popular MVNO. I sure hope they don't ruin it.

Hopefully, T-Mobile doesn't try to migrate Mint Mobile customers to it's backend systems.

WAY too many TMobile data breeches exposing customer data. My biggest complaint as a customer. Very disappointing.

This was an expected move by T-Mobile. They did the exact same thing with MetroPCS a few years ago...which I was on before moving to Mint.

Like MetroPCS was at the time, Mint is already using T-Mobile's network. It just makes sense to capture all of those subscribers instead of letting the competition profit off of your network.

I use Tello which also uses T-Mobile towers. I hope they don't go after them as well, I'm really happy with my super cheap $6 plan and I'm betting they increase Mints pricing which is also very reasonable.
That's an amazing price that they paid for Mint though.

I wonder what will happen to Google Fi. They piggyback off of T-Mobile and US Cellular towers, depending on the area.

I guess Ryan Reynolds couldn't figure out how to make Mint Mobile better (commercial from 1 year ago).

1. Reynolds owns between 20% and 25% of the $1.35B purchase price. That kind of money could make anyone rethink their plans.

2. They did make Mint better by upping the amount of monthly data, at least at the lowest $15 tier.

(Bloomberg) -- T-Mobile US Inc. is buying Mint Mobile, the budget wireless provider part owned by actor Ryan Reynolds, for as much as $1.35 billion in an effort to bolster its prepaid phone business and reach more lower-income customers.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ryan-reynolds-backed-mint-bought-130543204.html

When I saw that the other day I also thought I hope they don't ruin it.

I love Mint and had moved there from a T-mobile account. Even got several friends to sign up and receive referral bonuses.

Hopefully they won't change anything.

I'm dumping Mint since the international couldn't be made to work, despite my fiddling with their "support" for way too many hours of my vacation. No service when I touched down, wasted hours trying to get it to work, and then they refused to refund my money. Anyway I mean to rant about something else.

I'm trying to port out to Google Fi, and I need my account number and PIN. So you can call or chat. I chose the latter. I spent 27 minutes on the chat before the rep gave me the data! Wha? You heard right. I wasn't mean or pushy... just kept saying "no, I'm here to get the account number and PIN", and they kept not telling me. I was working on some other task, so really didn't care about the delay, but what's the deal here?

My thought is that they get paid by the minute, so the longer they take, the more they get paid. Or maybe T-Mobile/Mint gives them a bonus if they don't issue the info that will allow a port out. #customernoservice as Clark Howard would say.

Back
Top Bottom