Taken to the cleaners by my skin flint employer

I'm sorry you aren't getting what you were promised, but maybe that will make it easier to leave the work world behind. Good luck with your next adventure- in 9 days!! Whoop, whoop! I'm kinda jealous. I got pushed back some. I should have been done by now. With any luck I'll be out by Thanksgiving.

Looping back to report on the outcome of my problem. The evil HR VP went on vacation and my boss seized the opportunity to work out a better deal with the general counsel and CEO. My last day of work was yesterday but they will quietly let me stay on the payroll through August 14, which is the equivalent of $15,000, and my benefits automatically continue through August. I received the other $15,000 as cash in yesterday’s paycheck, making the total equivalent to $30K.

All in all, I’m glad I bit my lip after talking with the attorney, because my boss did go to bat for me and spent some of her political capital, which I wanted to see, and I have left everything and everyone on very smooth terms, with the exception of the Evil HR Director, who will likely blow her top this Monday, which makes me smile inside. They could have also figured out how to pay me severance but c’est la vie. I have told everyone I’ve left to take a long-planned sabbatical. If it turns into a permanent sabbatical, well, whatdayaknow?

Last edited:
Well done! And even better yet that the Evil HR VP will end up screwed politically in the whole deal.

Thanks for updating your story. Soooo happy youre on the way to your "permanent sabbatical". Love that label!

July 5th was my one year FREEDOM anniversary.
It is so wonderful to not remember what day it is.
If I turn and ask hubby, he says "its 4pm on a Saturday" cause we dont care what day it might really be.
On the way to the lake now.

Great news.

I appreciate your interest.

Well done! And even better yet that the Evil HR VP will end up screwed politically in the whole deal.

Yeah! Regardless, I’m done with the likes of her forever.

Thanks for updating your story. Soooo happy youre on the way to your "permanent sabbatical". Love that label!

July 5th was my one year FREEDOM anniversary.
It is so wonderful to not remember what day it is.
If I turn and ask hubby, he says "its 4pm on a Saturday" cause we dont care what day it might really be.
On the way to the lake now.

AWESOME. Enjoy your FREEDOM and the lake. We have just booked a celebratory 9 days in August at a small cabin right on Lake Superior that we love. We’ve never been able to stay that long before!

Back
Top Bottom