Taking SS Early - Tax Related Question

Wacky, so they report non-ordinary, qualified dividends separately on the 1099, then roll them into a box that says "ordinary dividends" on the 1040 when they're not ordinary.

I'm pleased as punch that I dont do all the tax calcs on paper and by hand, because my head would have exploded when I got to that part...if it hadnt already.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Wacky, so they report non-ordinary, qualified dividends separately on the 1099, then roll them into a box that says "ordinary dividends" on the 1040 when they're not ordinary.

Not to defend the IRS, but the 1099 (and Form 1040) only say "Ordinary Dividends" with a sub-category of "Qualified Dividends". There is actually no such category as "non-ordinary" dividends.

FIRE'd@51 said:
Not to defend the IRS, but the 1099 (and Form 1040) only say "Ordinary Dividends" with a sub-category of "Qualified Dividends". There is actually no such category as "non-ordinary" dividends.

Dividends are distributions from a corporation to its shareholders. Though the term "non-ordinary" is not used, dividends can be non-taxable return of capital. If taxable, they can be capital gain distributions or ordinary dividends. If ordinary dividends they can be qualified or not qualfied. FWIW

I think the term ordinary is to distinguish them from stock dividends, which are relatively rare these days anyway.

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:
I think the term ordinary is to distinguish them from stock dividends, which are relatively rare these days anyway.

2Cor521

I believe this is correct. Not so rare though, because a stock split is considered a stock dividend. Of course, a stock split is a non-taxable event so it would not be reported as an ordinary dividend.

Maybe to help distinguish them they could call them "happily taxed dividends" and "we aint giving you the
reach-around taxed dividends"

Back
Top Bottom