Talk About Motivation

KrissK

Recycles dryer sheets
There's nothing like a funeral to reaffirm the need to ER. We had all left the company approx. 8 years ago due to a nationwide reorganization/pending acquisition. Well, 8 years later, it's safe to say that none of us was looking any younger/better.

I have to find a way out of my corporate prison. So close...but so far away.

I hear that. In the past 3 years, two business acquaintances that I worked with closely for years and one relative (all males) have passed away. All in their late 50's or early 60's.

I really should not complain because I am only 38 and my job is not that bad other than only one 3% COLA in 6 of 7 years, but I am desperate to retire as soon as possible because I can see and feel the damage that a 40+ hour a week desk job is doing to me. The building where I work if depressing too; no one has gotten a raise for years, the pension system is in bad shape, and employee apathy and depression are high. Lots of co-workers have died or gotten cancer recently, some of them not much older than I. I am starting to get spooked about dying at work, or at least before I get to retire, because I see it way too much at work.

One of my college classmates died this weekend. He was struck by a train in Burbank, CA. He was a 37 year old fitness instructor and actor. Life can be so short. Seize it.

I really should not complain because I am only 38 and my job is not that bad other than only one 3% COLA in 6 of 7 years, but I am desperate to retire as soon as possible because I can see and feel the damage that a 40+ hour a week desk job is doing to me. The building where I work if depressing too; no one has gotten a raise for years, the pension system is in bad shape, and employee apathy and depression are high. Lots of co-workers have died or gotten cancer recently, some of them not much older than I. I am starting to get spooked about dying at work, or at least before I get to retire, because I see it way too much at work.

If it's any consolidation, the male life expectancy in the U.S. is 77.4 years. Isn't it nice that the odds of living a full life are very good for you.

If you're dissatisfied at work, you have plenty of time to change jobs or professions. Now's the time for you to think about living, not dying.

One of my college classmates died this weekend. He was struck by a train in Burbank, CA. He was a 37 year old fitness instructor and actor. Life can be so short. Seize it.

No kidding. But do be a bit careful seizing it.

Your classmate's story was national news.

Health was certainly a big motivator. My MIL contracted heart disease. My father got Parkinson's less than 10 yrs into retirement. My mother had a knee replaced. A college buddy got a hip replaced. I got a bout of arthritis (gone now). I remember reading, in the lab newspaper, that someone passed away a couple months after retirement.

If it's any consolidation, the male life expectancy in the U.S. is 77.4 years. Isn't it nice that the odds of living a full life are very good for you.

If you're dissatisfied at work, you have plenty of time to change jobs or professions. Now's the time for you to think about living, not dying.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. - Shawshank Redemption

Back
Top Bottom