Tax: Can you deduct medical expenses if on parent policy ?

Delawaredave5

Full time employment: Posting here.
Can a child deduct out-of-pocket medical expenses on their return even though they are on parents insurance ? Child is not a dependent on parents tax return - child over 24 but still on parents medical policy.

They wouldn't be deductible on parent's return, right ? Not a dependent. Anyhow, even if deductible on parent's return, would not exceed 10% threshold on parents income.

But the child-specific expenses do exceed 10% of child income.

Thanks.

Can a child deduct out-of-pocket medical expenses on their return even though they are on parents insurance ? Child is not a dependent on parents tax return - child over 24 but still on parents medical policy.

They wouldn't be deductible on parent's return, right ? Not a dependent. Anyhow, even if deductible on parent's return, would not exceed 10% threshold on parents income.

But the child-specific expenses do exceed 10% of child income.

Thanks.
If the 24 year old files separately, I don't see why not. The insurance policy doesn't matter, only the non-reimbursed expense.

not only do you have to have medical bills that exceed 10% of income which you paid, but you have to have enough itemized deductions that you can itemize.

A tangential question: Grandparents provide a place to live and other monetary benefits for a grandson while he is in college. They found out he hadn't been to a dentist in - forever - and sent him off for expensive dental care, which they paid. I facetiously suggested they claim the dental costs for grandson as charity, but now wonder if that medical expense really could be so claimed?

If the grandparents pass the test of providing at least half the support of the grandchild, then they should be able to use the deduction. This is from a somewhat dated link here

Don't believe they claim the grandson as a dependent - I was thinking they claim the kid's dental expense as a straightup charitable deduction, like giving $1000 to a homeless shelter. Again, my thought is that the IRS says no - but it seems like a good argument could be made for it being charity and not needing to meet the 7.5% threshold for medical expense.

The season for wistful thinking..

Thanks. Great point. The medical expenses exceeding 10% would also need to exceed the standard deduction, $6,000 ish as I don't think the person has other deductions.

not only do you have to have medical bills that exceed 10% of income which you paid, but you have to have enough itemized deductions that you can itemize.

Don't believe they claim the grandson as a dependent - I was thinking they claim the kid's dental expense as a straightup charitable deduction, like giving $1000 to a homeless shelter. Again, my thought is that the IRS says no - but it seems like a good argument could be made for it being charity and not needing to meet the 7.5% threshold for medical expense.

The season for wistful thinking..

I believe the link I posted was for a relative that was not a dependent.
Tax Tip: Add on Medical Expenses for a Nondependent
The link could be wrong or dated.

The problem with declaring money given as a charity is the the kid is not a 501(c)(3). I don't believe giving to the needy or just anyone provides a tax break without the recipient having the correct legal structure.

A tangential question: Grandparents provide a place to live and other monetary benefits for a grandson while he is in college. They found out he hadn't been to a dentist in - forever - and sent him off for expensive dental care, which they paid. I facetiously suggested they claim the dental costs for grandson as charity, but now wonder if that medical expense really could be so claimed?

The answer will be in IRS Publication 502.

Back
Top Bottom